Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Rubber Undercoating! Not good if.....

Rubber Undercoating! Not good if your car is NOT brand new. The only time you should use this crap if the metal is clean and no rust and it's dry. Spraying this stuff traps all the moisture and speeds up the rust process. I bought a 91 318Is and somebody sprayed rubber undercoating over the gas tank. Lucky for me I got to it in time before it got any worse.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 12-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

The chemical process of rust is not moisture itself. There also needs to be oxygen combined to make it happen. otherwise rain would make metals rust that are coated.
rust in most cases in our climate occurs from lots of moisture and salt. Salt from winter driving by itself is not corrosive. Salt mixed with water is. mixed with very wet cold temperatures makes this stick to the surface of metal. Corrosion is the culprit to rust. If you spray rubberized undercoating on a moist area it won't stand a chance to stick for any length of time anyway. Will the area rust futher? maybe, maybe not. Afterall, no oxygen could be present. once rust starts, you can only slow the process, and not "stop" it unless to remove it completely. I've had really rusted areas I kept under control for several years just by coating the crap out of it with grease and Crown- Moisture couldn't get in and neither could oxygen. Did it get marginally worse, not from what I observed. Did it get better? nope. the undercoating will just peel anyway after a while and the rust shows up again. Something is better then nothing. If it's really really bad rust...what's the point anyway? :-)

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

I don't know where you get your facts from and how long you have been driving. However with 28 years of driving and some 38 vehicle that I had under my name. The bottom line is, do not use undercoating it does and it will make things rust a lot faster.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Gamite

Ceeker is correct, Rust is the oxidation of metal, which requires a combination of oxygen and moisture.

However, Darkness, u are correct too, if you spray the underside of a car that has not been cleaned you could in fact be trapping the oxygen and moisture under the spray.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
Ceeker is correct, Rust is the oxidation of metal, which requires a combination of oxygen and moisture.

However, Darkness, u are correct too, if you spray the underside of a car that has not been cleaned you could in fact be trapping the oxygen and moisture under the spray.
Julian Lai the science guy....

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport View Post
Julian Lai the science guy....
Julian Lai the wikipedia guy. And I'm willing to admit it too!!

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3 View Post
I don't know where you get your facts from and how long you have been driving. However with 28 years of driving and some 38 vehicle that I had under my name. The bottom line is, do not use undercoating it does and it will make things rust a lot faster.
You should try re-reading what I wrote clearly before jumping to conclusions. :-)

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Last edited by Ceeker; 12-07-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
You should try re-reading what I wrote clearly before jumping to conclusions. :-)
Yes, you should!

As I stated before;

" The only time you should use this crap if the metal is clean and no rust and it's dry. Spraying this stuff traps all the moisture and speeds up the rust process."
Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
magnus
6th Gear Member

water = H2O...i swear that water had oxygen.
lol

Dark is right on this.
Its the same if you paint over a rust spot....it will just get worst underneath!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Its the same if you paint over a rust spot....it will just get worst underneath!
For sure. Painting over rust isn't going to make it magically dissapear (unfortunately ). A good coating of paint over rust will slow down the process however.

This will be the first winter that I have with my car so I hit it with the asphalt undercoating about a month ago. I brought it into a heated garage a couple days ahead of time to make sure it was dry, cleaned up the underside and gave it a nice coating. We'll see how it looks in the spring
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
blk3
4th Gear Member

nothing says lovin for a car than a good dose of rustproofing
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post

I think there is more to it then that. The acid in the water plays a great role, hence why cars rust faster in Ontario then Alberta for example. We have more acid in our rain.

Also salt on the roads which from my understanding they switched from salt to something else.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3 View Post
Yes, you should!

As I stated before;

" The only time you should use this crap if the metal is clean and no rust and it's dry. Spraying this stuff traps all the moisture and speeds up the rust process."
whatever....

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
318compact
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I think there is more to it then that. The acid in the water plays a great role, hence why cars rust faster in Ontario then Alberta for example. We have more acid in our rain.

Also salt on the roads which from my understanding they switched from salt to something else.
Alberta cars are cleaner because they use a lot less salt than in Ontario. They use more sand and also there is less need for deicing since Alberta just has a dryer climate.
I'm not sure if the deicing fluid they now use in the GTA is any better for cars than salt, however it is not very effective once there is ice and snow on the road - they use it mostly to coat the roads before a snowfall or icing situation.
318compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
Btw salty water from winter driving is only corrosive above 5degrees. Otherwise as long as the car is outside in the cold and rinsed down on the warmer days your car will last longer rust free, for those who are willing to disagree try it for your self. For instance I'll drive my car through all the salty water and crap and park in a heated garage every night and poof rust. I then cleaned the rust off with a little gas and left in ouside and rinsed the car on the warmer days and since not any sort of rust but before when stored salty and in a heated enviorment rusted nightly.
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: