Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
Exclamation Is anyone running s50 or s52 cams out there?

I've been looking into swapping out my 2.0 and going for a 2.5 with s50 cams. Has anyone on maxbimmer done this mod? If so I'd like to know what was needed to swap the cams? For instance am I just going to rip off the side cover, valve cover, pull everything apart and replace with the s50 cams or are there other steps involved? Flash ecu? Adjust anything?
Please if anyone knows anything and I mean anything, thoughts suggestions please fill me in.
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Well to get the most out of it you will need software for it. That's all I can contribute, don't know about anything else.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
uber e36
6th Gear Member

I've got S50 cams but have never got around to installing them... No help here - sorry!
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
E36is
'OldSchool..'

i have s50 cams in my m50. like stated you need 'specific' software to properly use the cams. I have the MarkD chip but it isnt tuned for the cams. But i did dyno the motor without the chip and at the rear my car makes 188rwhp.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I have S52 cams in my 328. You don't 'need' software to use then, you will just lose some bottom end torque in addition to gaining top end horsepower with the stock software. Software tuned for the cams will help regain some of that lost bottom end torque. As far as other parts, I'd recommend changing the valve cover gasket while everything is apart, and the cam retaining caps if they're scratched/gouged.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
aaron320i
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair View Post
I have S52 cams in my 328. You don't 'need' software to use then, you will just lose some bottom end torque in addition to gaining top end horsepower with the stock software. Software tuned for the cams will help regain some of that lost bottom end torque. As far as other parts, I'd recommend changing the valve cover gasket while everything is apart, and the cam retaining caps if they're scratched/gouged.
How noticeable is the gain in top end? Btw have you dynoed the car and got any numbers? I'm really interested to hear about this for this is something I really want to change.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Slightly off topic:

How bad is it to run a set that are scored.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron320i View Post
How noticeable is the gain in top end? Btw have you dynoed the car and got any numbers? I'm really interested to hear about this for this is something I really want to change.
Very noticeable above 5000rpm, the engine just keeps pulling to redline now instead of dying off at like 6000. I dyno'd at 200rwhp and 203rwtq without cam specific software, which I still don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Slightly off topic:

How bad is it to run a set that are scored.
Probably not bad initially, although the scoring might eventually start wearing out the cam bearing ledge and caps.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Wushu
1st Gear Newbie

Will you gain back the torque if you have proper software? I've got a 325 and since it's my DD (my 88 MR2 that's getting a 300 hp engine soon is my scare myself s***less car) I like having low-end torque to putter around.
Wushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

im debating this for my m50 325 also. was talking to a few ppl about doing, not sure if its worth the gains though
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^to really make it worth it on a daily you need
-Cams (250-300$, + Install, 150-200$)
-Software (450+)

I dont think its worth 1000$ to gain 10-15hp. Get a 3.38 diff, it will cost less, and make the car more fun/faster.

It doesn't matter for nelson cause his car never sees less than 5k RPM.
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
It doesn't matter for nelson cause his car never sees less than 5k RPM.
Well I do let it warm up first
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
aaron320i
Banned

So this mod is very minimal?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron320i View Post
So this mod is very minimal?
It's a noticeable mod, there are just cheaper mods that make more of a difference that I'd do first
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I am sure that mod is noticeable in places like Brandford. There is nothing nicer when rip it up there.
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, cams, mods, s50

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: