Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
jasonlau8023
2nd Gear Member

brake issue, need help!!!

hi,

my car is 97 328is. the right side brake has some issue. few weeks ago i found my right caliper seized a bit, so i changed it. however, the problem is that the passenger side still can feel brake drag..it's like the brake were working even i wasn't stepping on brake.. when i jack up the car, use hand to rotate both wheels, left side seems no drag at all, perfectly rotating.. but the passenger side has drag and more difficult to rotate. when i took right caliper off, just rotate the naked disc, it rotates perfectly fine. p.s. i already grinded brake discs, and brake pads are in good condition too.

besides caliper, is their any other possibilities? brake hose? i can't think of anything else.....what do you guys think?

please share your thoughts and thank you so so so so so much!!!
jasonlau8023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
jasonlau8023
2nd Gear Member

another symptom, the passenger side disc is always hotter than left side whenever i pull over my car..so this proofed that the passenger side is dragging.... also, the car is not going straight, always moving to right without holding steering wheel, especially with hard braking....it just moving to right directly!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
If you or a previous owner perhaps put any kind of fluid other that brake fluid. There is a possibility of mineral build up in the lines causing a very slow release if pressure therefor causing a possible brake drag. Could be the master cylinder, piston is not returning all of the way. But the most likly cause is the caliper, and just by fluke there is the possibility of the new caliper installed is also failing.
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
E36is
'OldSchool..'

these are floating calipers, did you lubricate the floating points?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
jasonlau8023
2nd Gear Member

okay, here is the full story. my passenger side caliper was seized first, then i changed one along with brake fluid. after that, the condition all i can say was IMPROVED... from seized caliper to dragging brake... okay, i changed another new caliper and lubricate floating points and still, dragging brake.......this is driving me crazy....... i bought a brake hose and a brake line, which connects master cylinder and brake hose, and i'm gonna change them next tuesday... if this won't solve the problem....i don't know what else i can do!!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Pop-o-matic
2nd Gear Member

Hey there...

Any follow up on your situation? I have the same EXACT problem.
'99 328is, passenger disk always drags.

I used a C-clamp to push back the caliper and that got it Ok for 1 week without any drag. But it's started again to not release and squeeze the disk. It heats up too.

I'm thinking that calipers do seize up at one point - the piston gets deformed or whatever - and the only thing is to replace it - but since you replaced yours and the problem is still there I'm concerned that there's more to it... I don't want to waste 400$...

Let me know - thanks
Pop-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-o-matic View Post
Hey there...

Any follow up on your situation? I have the same EXACT problem.
'99 328is, passenger disk always drags.

I used a C-clamp to push back the caliper and that got it Ok for 1 week without any drag. But it's started again to not release and squeeze the disk. It heats up too.

I'm thinking that calipers do seize up at one point - the piston gets deformed or whatever - and the only thing is to replace it - but since you replaced yours and the problem is still there I'm concerned that there's more to it... I don't want to waste 400$...

Let me know - thanks
sometimes the sliders as you found out, dry up and the calipers don't slide. Even after you lube the sliders it may still hang up. Sometimes the piston boot gets tear and water gets and and corrodes the piston- causing pitting and then the piston seizes due to rust formation. it can either seize in or in most cases seizes out. A caliper rebuild if done right and thorough should resolve the problem. One thing to note: which is often over looked.
the caliper carrier also should be cleaned up especially where the brake pads sit to slide. If the surface is rough or corroded the brake pads won't glide freely along this surface. You should also make sure some compound such as anti seize or brake lube/grease is put on the contact surface of the carrier to prevent future hang up. This is what a proper brake service involves..

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Pop-o-matic
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your Reply Ceeker,

I already determined it's not the caliper guide bolts (I see them referred as "sliders" or "floating points") sticking nor the brake pads sticking to their base - the base on which the pads shift as they wear.
It really is the piston that refuses to let go - it stays clamped to the disk. I'll take it out tonight to see if it's badly corroded and rotate it (old mechanic trick) so it doesn't fall back in the same grooves that makes it jam. If it's too badly corroded I'll buy a new caliper. If not I'll get new boot and seal, clean/ polish the piston a bit and try it that way.
Pop-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
jasonlau8023
2nd Gear Member

i don't want you guys get frustrated, but i tried so many ways such as changing calipers(2 done), changing brake hose, the problem is still there. well, i'm kind of tired...well, the situation is not that bad right now... just when braking the right side is hotter than left side.. this could be right side problem, or left side, i don't know..

the only thing i could think of is that my left side has been seriously overheated before. there is no doubt that my left side pads and discs are thinner than right side...that may explain why when braking, the right side is always braking harder. but some ppl denied my thought. i think the best way for me is to change both sides's pads and discs, or simply swicth over left side and right side....to see if this problem still exists. well, i just don't have time and money to do it....

so i decided to let it go......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: