Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
344i
5th Gear Member

Don't Like tipping in the US? Well...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...052.html?yhp=1

Quote:
If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs.

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Pope claimed that they had to wait nearly an hour for their order and that she had to get napkins and silverware for the table herself.

“At this point I became very annoyed because I had already gone up to the bar myself to have my soda refilled because the waitress never came back,” Pope said.

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

“I understand that, you know, we didn’t pay the gratuity, but it was a gratuity, it wasn’t something that was required,” said Wagner.

The owner admitted that the group waited unusually long for their food, but said the pub was extremely busy that night. He said managers offered to comp the food, a claim the couple denies ever happened.

“Obviously we would have liked for the patron and the establishment to have worked this out without getting the police involved,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stuart Bedics.

Police charged them with theft since the gratuity was part of the actual bill. However, it is doubtful that the charges will hold up in front of a judge. The couple is scheduled to appear in court next month.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^ A tip and gratuidy is not a same thing. The gratuidy is a mandatory one. That's how some places pre-screen the customers.

Also who wrote this thing. Don't you say not to tip over "to not tip"?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
sirex
King Sirex

18% mandatory? LOL
Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
^ A tip and gratuidy is not a same thing. The gratuidy is a mandatory one. That's how some places pre-screen the customers.

Also who wrote this thing. Don't you say not to tip over "to not tip"?
American english> you
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
18% mandatory? LOL
Where I work in the convention centre, they hit you up with 20%.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

pro-tip thread titles are important

Cops Arrest Couple for Theft for Refusing to Pay Tip
Patrons claim service was so bad, they had to get napkins and silverware for themselves & refused to pay the hidden added on 18% tip.

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Fel
Not Banned

This reminds me of a time I was at Shoeless Joe's... about 2 years ago on St Patty's day, we went with a few people. Originally called in for like 8 people, but only 5 of us ended up going. After a long night of terrible service (we had to ask 4 different waitresses to go find our waitress for drink refills, etc), we finally got the bill and they added a mandatory gratuity. I got into a fight with the manager about it, because none of us wanted to leave the bitch a single cent.

Although it was St Patty's Day, the bar was half empty, so there was no "busy" excuse... it was just shit service because she knew she was getting tipped no matter what. Manager told me that we had booked for 8 so it was added... after arguing with him (and her, I got her involved too and told her to her face that she was worthless), he gave me the "I'm new" excuse and eventually gave us a $50 gift certificate to just shut up about it. Afterward we even called corporate, and they also gave us a $50 gift certificate... so all in all we came out ahead... but it was the principle of the whole thing.

I don't care how large your group is, bad service is bad service. I always tip good waitresses well, and they deserve it. But **** 'em when they treat you like shit.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

yeah so now imagine getting arrested for Theft instead of the $50 dollar gift card you got.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
W2WDETAILING
Banned

the other day i went out for lunch with the gf the bill was $32.25 i gave her $40.00 she gave me back $5.00 i was going to leave a Tonnie then my gf convinced me to not leave anything. either she made a mistake or she pocketed the $2.75 ..too bad it cost her a tip
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
18% mandatory? LOL
West 50 pour house, Dave and Busters are just a few to name that charge the 18% gratuity/large party tax
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: