Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
2005BMW325xi
2005 BMW 325xi

Would you buy an American BMW

I have a question is there anything wrong with buying a American BMW
really everything is made in Germany but if you live in Toronto,Ontario.
Would buying a BMW from the states a good idea?

Please let me know...

the pro's and con's
2005BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
rdtx2005
3rd Gear Member

Pros:
- the more south you are, more often or not the cars will have no rust
- more cheaper (can find better deals)

Cons:
- Importing needs DRL module and Child Safety latches
- the whole process of clearing customs (need to be 3 days in advance, etc...)
- be aware of "flooded" cars

people can add to this
Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
damameke
6th Gear Member

rdtx2005 stated the pros/cons...

I dont see why there should be anything wrong buying a US car,
the number 1 reason is saving.

If there is no hassle I.E importing and clearing custom and doing the pertinent modifications to Canadian standard, I bet all of us will be importing US car.

Buyin a BMW in US, you can save a at least a few grand, I was looking at one and in Canada, it is averaging $45 thousand, in US, its bewteen $24 to $32 thousand US.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

Careful. If you get stuff from the deep south where rust isn't an issue everythign rubber or plastic will have a good chance of being shot. Bushes, Lines, etc etc. Can be very costly to get all that fixed. But no rust. It's my personal belief that if you want a project or just a summer toy go south but if your going to run it year round don't bother and get a canadian unit.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
2005BMW325xi
2005 BMW 325xi

The bmw is from Texas and all the work is done even the odometer is converted to km I just want to know what I should look out for. The owner said it is not a flood car and the carfax looks clean.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005BMW325xi View Post
The bmw is from Texas and all the work is done even the odometer is converted to km I just want to know what I should look out for. The owner said it is not a flood car and the carfax looks clean.
If you really keen on this car. I would suggest that you go to Bimmerfest or Bimmerforum and get a member/members from Texas to test and check out the car, he can even send you pictures and I am very sure they would be glad to do a fellow member a favor.

Then you can make a better decison.

I would get the service history, it is maintained by the owner, indy garage or dealer, what was the recent major component that was changed..

I dont buy the reasoning that the further the car is (south) all rubber bushing are out of whack, you dont read alot of these from a BMW forum, especially those cars in California/Florida.. its wear and tear not due to climate, if anything cold/freezing weather affects those .
Old 11-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
2005BMW325xi
2005 BMW 325xi

the BMW is in Canada already the owner bought the car in 2007 in Texas, all the work is done to meet canadian standards...just want to know what i should look for and the warranty is until 2011.

thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005BMW325xi View Post
the BMW is in Canada already the owner bought the car in 2007 in Texas, all the work is done to meet canadian standards...just want to know what i should look for and the warranty is until 2011.

thanks
Ahhh ok, well all the hard work is done. Because it's an American car to begin with, you can maybe work on the price. Negotiate a bit, and let him know that U.S cars are generally cheaper and re-sale in Canada should be fitted towards the fact that it was a U.S car originally.

Nothing wrong with buying one. Just make sure everything is correct. Like mentioned, flood damage, clean everything, get it inspected... follow a typical buyer purchase plan... get all the facts straight and if it's what you want for a good price, then go for it.

What kind of car is it anyways?
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
vladvm
2nd Gear Member

i don't see why US car wil be cheaper if it is already imported in Canada. If it is in great condition, it should get the same price as canadian model. In fact, it might be better condition if the first few years of it hasn't seen winter at all. Goodluck on your purchase!
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^people generally prefer local cars (for a variety of reasons, some of which make sense).
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^people generally prefer local cars (for a variety of reasons, some of which make sense).
I agree.. its a mind thing ....

to OP. next time.. provide all pertinent info, like car is already imported.. etc etc

Instead of assumng what the car's faults are.. send it to one of the sponsors in max and get it check out, they wil be able to provide any technical issues the car might have....

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
countrybimm
peelin' not dealin'

all my vehicles come from the states...no rust, cheaper, and easy to get across the border...DRL kit is 40 bucks from canadian tire and can be taken off the day after safety....only thing i dont like is canadian tire has to do a safety on it, and i hate the thought of them even touching my ride.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm View Post
....only thing i dont like is canadian tire has to do a safety on it, and i hate the thought of them even touching my ride.
good point. crappy tire blew my friends engine in his audi while doing an emission test.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

canadian tire only has to do the federal inspection, which is literally 3 minutes, they check the VIN, speedometer, airbag labels,etc.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
brunp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
canadian tire only has to do the federal inspection, which is literally 3 minutes, they check the VIN, speedometer, airbag labels,etc.
why are you limited to Canadian Tire? Any MTO-certified location should be able to do a safety, so why limit to Canadian Tire
brunp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: