Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Non-BMW Related
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

Canon 5D mkII + 24-105mm f/4 L dslr and lens kit

for any enthusiast photographers, i'm selling my
5dmkii and 24-105mm f/4 L IS kit

i had upgraded up to this from my canon 40D but it's not found as much use of late.
the LX3 and more recently the E-P2 have had much more use (ever try carrying a 20month old and a 5dmkii with L glass? - it's like dealing with a second child).
and while i LOVE this camera, it simply did not make sense for it to sit in my camera locker.

i'll be keeping my other L lenses since i do have the 40D still... mmmmm, L glass

for those already in the know, there's already been much praise about the 5dmkii.
full frame, outstanding iq, high iso and very usable to at least 3200, and film quality 1080p video to boot (google laforet or bloom)

camera is in perfect condition - i've babied this camera
lens hood has very minor wear marks from whenever camera was rested on a surface - but that's why the lens itself is in perfect condition!

includes:
- all original boxes, manuals, software - unopened

extras: ~$175
- uv filter that has been on lens since day 1
- extra canon battery

bought march 2010 from aden camera
they currently sell the kit at $4000 incl. tax
you save $500 on the kit alone

$3500 firm
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
exotek
1st Gear Newbie

how many actuations on the body? is the lens new-ish as well (march 2010)? This kit sells for $3500 (plus tax) brand new from vistek: http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSL...m-f4l-usm.aspx
exotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotek View Post
how many actuations on the body? is the lens new-ish as well (march 2010)? This kit sells for $3500 (plus tax) brand new from vistek: http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSL...m-f4l-usm.aspx

i will check the actuations this evening but i would imagine that on average i picked up that camera at least once every day shooting 20 images (babies are great subjects). you can do the math, i will have to install software to check the camera directly.

the lens and camera body were part of a single kit (ie in the same box). if you're really that interested i can check the date code of the lens this evening too.

regarding vistek's price (as well as henry's, blacks, downtown, aden, etc.)... they all sell the camera for around $3500. plus tax, that's about $4000 - per my point in the original posting. my price of $3500 also includes filter and extra battery.

cheers.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
L vs EF

I don't want hijack your sale , but what is the difference from EF lense and L lens. I wanna go with a 300MM lens to take some sick photos from the planes when I am by the 401. I know I need at least 300mm to reach the Terminal 1 section area, but I wonder what lense do I need for detailed background. Would love some feedback.

Thanks and bump for a nice kit.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
I don't want hijack your sale , but what is the difference from EF lense and L lens. I wanna go with a 300MM lens to take some sick photos from the planes when I am by the 401. I know I need at least 300mm to reach the Terminal 1 section area, but I wonder what lense do I need for detailed background. Would love some feedback.

Thanks and bump for a nice kit.
i don't want to hijack my thread either so i'll make this brief...
  • "L" designation generally reserved for canon's high-end pro lenses. they are generally fixed, large aperture lenses
  • the EF lenses fit canon's full(er) frame (1.0x, 1.3x) sensor dslrs (e.g. 1Ds Mkiii, 5DMkii) and crop frame (1.6x) sensor dslrs (e.g. 50D, 7D, T2i)
  • the EF-S fit only canon's crop frame dslrs
  • all L lenses are EF, not all EF lenses are L, no EF-S lenses are L, some EF-S lenses are arguably of L quality

taking photos from your seat in a commercial jet is difficult - depending on subject, distance to subject, the weather, time of day, where you are seated in the plane, glare from the window - hard to say what lens you need. yes, longer lenses will get you closer to the subject - but 300mm won't help you if you are 25000 ft in the air.

cheers
Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotek View Post
downloaded the astrojargon shutter count program
as of 2010.08.03 there have been 3889 actuations
date code of the lens is UX08 - meaning it was made in Utsunomiya Japan, 2009.08
i have receipt to prove purchase in 2010.03.04

cheers
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutty_mark3 View Post
i don't want to hijack my thread either so i'll make this brief...
  • "L" designation generally reserved for canon's high-end pro lenses. they are generally fixed, large aperture lenses
  • the EF lenses fit canon's full(er) frame (1.0x, 1.3x) sensor dslrs (e.g. 1Ds Mkiii, 5DMkii) and crop frame (1.6x) sensor dslrs (e.g. 50D, 7D, T2i)
  • the EF-S fit only canon's crop frame dslrs
  • all L lenses are EF, not all EF lenses are L, no EF-S lenses are L, some EF-S lenses are arguably of L quality

taking photos from your seat in a commercial jet is difficult - depending on subject, distance to subject, the weather, time of day, where you are seated in the plane, glare from the window - hard to say what lens you need. yes, longer lenses will get you closer to the subject - but 300mm won't help you if you are 25000 ft in the air.

cheers
Good overview.

I meant taking pics while on the ground while the jets are in front of me like a mile away. Best of luck with your sale.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
I meant taking pics while on the ground while the jets are in front of me like a mile away.
i see. i'm assuming you have a canon 1.6x crop body? (Rebel xxx series, XXD, or 7D)

first comment is, if they are in front of you and you are in their flight path, why don't you just wait until they are acceptably close for the focal range of your lens? you might be surprised at how the images turn out.

anyway, at the distance you are talking about, most any lens will likely be "acceptably" sharp and depending on available light, will probably be acceptably "fast". start cheap and simple, get the longest focal length lens you currently have and just start taking pics. a circular polarizing filter will help cut out haze, any reflections on surface of subject, and add contrast.

of course, longer lenses with big fixed aperture will help - but then you're starting at $1200 w/out IS (image stabilization) - try looking for used 70-200 f/4 L. as always, cheap zoom solution is to use your feet (i.e., get closer)

depending on sensor IQ and MP, you might get acceptable quality images even if you crop final image.

too many unknowns to give you better answer - plus, i don't typically do this type of shooting. good luck.

cheers.

Last edited by dutty_mark3; 08-04-2010 at 06:47 PM.
dutty_mark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

I sent you a PM. Cheers
Old 08-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
dutty_mark3
1st Gear Newbie

bump
dutty_mark3 is offline   Reply With Quote