Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview

Hmm anyone wanna register my car under their name that lives in the north? Is it still possible to get insurance under your name when the car is registered to someone else?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

pretty sure that legally, the named insured has to be the registered owner of the vehicle or else it's void (if they catch you?).

And city folk can bitch about the small-towners not having to be e-test, but a lot of those city folk have contributed to to the screwing-over of many of those (often poor) people living in places like Parry Sound. Everyone wants a cottage on a lake up there but it's caused taxes to skyrocket for the locals. So what's worse? Everyone gets ****ed over somewhere along the line...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Hmm anyone wanna register my car under their name that lives in the north? Is it still possible to get insurance under your name when the car is registered to someone else?
LOL - yea... and then when they get the cops to take the car away from you since it's legally theirs, you try and explain why it's not...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #19
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Yes and no.

Registering a car to someone else makes them the owner.

The policy must be in the "new owners" name and this does create a level of risk to them. The question on the auto application is: list all claims arising from the OWNERSHIP or OPERATION of a vehicle. If you have a claim, it can be rated against them if you don't continue to drive or are not listed on a policy so the claim to be rated for. Even worse is if there is a lawsuit and the policy limits don't satisfy the claim. The "owner" & driver would be jointly sued but the owner is ultimately responsible for the shortfall. (we strongly advise our clients against this kind of arrangement)

It is allowable, from the insurance company's perspective, as long as you are listed as the principle operator and you state where the vehicle is garaged and operated. <-- that would make the premium the same as if you bought your own policy.

For all that hassle... just pay for the e-test.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
John, What about if I own a cotage in Midland or up norther and drive there sometimes. Can it be insured under there to save a few bucks? How is that when it comes to auto insurance. I think many folks from the GTA have it like that.
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
John, What about if I own a cotage in Midland or up norther and drive there sometimes. Can it be insured under there to save a few bucks? How is that when it comes to auto insurance. I think many folks from the GTA have it like that.
Unfortunately no. The vehicle is rated by the garage address (where it is parked at night) not the registration address.

People who try this often have a small claim, say maybe vandalism or theft/attempt of theft and the insured calls the police to report, the insurance co. gets the police report which states where the vehicle was and they end up getting double spanked: claim denied and policy cancelled for mispresentation. A cancellation like that stays on your record longer than an at fault claim. (10 yrs vs 6 yrs - I think)

When I was 21 with 2 at faults on my record, I was considering moving in with a buddy who lived in Barrie. The difference in premium was $400 or so.
(3600 vs 4000) not super siginificant.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: