Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

Wtf!!!!

Do I understand right that if you live in Durham, you don't have to get e-tests on your vehicles? How the hell does that work!!! I thought it was an Ontario wide program.

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
sski
2nd Gear Member

Not Ontario wide. I have family in Parry Sound. They don't have to e-test either. In fact, it was not that long ago they didn't even pay for licence stickers (ie/ free). I expect it's simply due to population density (ie/ whats the the biggest bang for the buck).

Having said that, I'm Barrie and have to e-test. Not sure how Durham gets excluded. It actually quite discriminatory if you think about it...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^ I was told the same. I wonder if many of you Barrie boys have insured your cars up there. No sticker and insurance discount could add up. Also we get slaped with car tax. Like 80 bucks a year.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
sski
2nd Gear Member

I moved out of T.O. about 13yrs ago. Just wait until they bring in the TST (Toronto Sales Tax) or whatever they decide to call it.

There's Pros and Cons to everything.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Also metropass 127ish. Bend over as Miller meant it LOL. I have been working in Richmond Hill for four years, and always toying with the idea to move up North.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

What the city has to do is make people who live outside of the city limits pay a car tax when they drive in, similar to what London is doing. This is the best win/win scenario because its the ones from the Suburbs that cause all the wear and tear on the roads in Toronto and pay the least taxes.

People that live in Toronto should be exempt. Everyone else, 5$ every time you drive in. In exchange, there should be better go Train service, and better transportation to handle the influx of new drivers.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
arek
3rd Gear Member

You guys forgot to mention the Pan Am games comming up

Word down the grapevine, special olympics too one day

(talking about taxes, and getting ****ed)
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Shuks
2nd Gear Member

Apparently they're coming up with a toll for the 400 series highways. It's supposed to help keep people off the roads and make them use Public Transport.

Next they'll come up with a tax to tax the GST/PST we pay on every purchase!!! What government will do when in the hands of rednecks. or pommie blood.
Shuks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

i live in durham and I had to get an e-test, stickers, etc...
Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
sski
2nd Gear Member

OK, I was surprised Durham was exempt. Maybe they are exempt up in the far reaches of the Durham. Like I said I can tell you for a fact Parry Sound is exempt. I know casue my car failed and had to be retested. I was talking with my Dad and asked him how the hell are those POS cars I see driving around Parry Sound getting new tags every year?!? That when I found out "no testing". So your 2000 320i fails and you gotta get a bunch of work (up to $450 now??) yet Billy-Bob's 1982 F150 with the big V8...no worries.

I've heard the talk of tolls on the 400 or tolls to enter the city. It works in other cities because they actually have decent transit. For me to go from Barrie to 404/7 it will cost me more money, take me more time (remember after I get off the GO I now need to get on and pay for a bus) and I am now tied to a schedule. I can't just get up and walk out and announce "I've got to catch my bus". It may work for some but not me. When I lived in Etobicoke and worked downtown it was OK. Other countries have 300-400kph trains that shuttle people in and out of the major cities.

Idea...monorail system built right in the centre median of the 400. Everyone buys minis/smart cars. You drive your car onto a specially designed two level car carrier at the Barrie station. The train zips down the 400 while you read/work/ipod whatever. Stations at Newmarket, 7/400, Midtown and Union to unload. Now you have your car with you for the day still but it occupies half the road/parking space.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

I just don't get how they can pick & choose who to screw over. It's getting now that you can't pick up a $500 car as a winter vehicle without dumping tons of money into it to get it to pass the tests! Criminal if you ask me!

And on the 400 highway tolls.... God I hope not! If any of you have ever toured through the States down one of their "toll highways" you'd see just how bad a cash gouge it is! Maybe if the money went to fixing the roads so my airbag light wouldn't come on all the time from the potholes it would be worth it!!!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
344i
5th Gear Member

lulz. im done protesting and trying. Leaving is the only solution
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Ihavenocar
2nd Gear Member

^^ Leave too where northwest territories ur gonna get screwed over by something ...just gotta take the good with the bad i guess.... and at the same time the attitude where we just sit down and take the beating will only work to destroy us further
Ihavenocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
Red_Rocket
2nd Gear Member

Its the main areas. Toronto and the GTA and anything around the 401. Above gravenhurst they dont need etests. The north doesnt have to do them.
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #15
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Up here where I live you still need to have E-Tests done, since we are still in Durham Region. But I believe north of us (Kawarthas, etc) don't have to... lucky.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: