Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

FIRE!What Legal Action Can be Taken?

So my girlfriend bought a condo in d.t Toronto. The day she moved in i came over, she put stuff in the dryer for the first time and it resulted in a fire.
I put it out but in the process I burnt my hand. It was treated by paramedics, then went to the ER. Second degree burns on 2 fingers, was on perks and had to take 2 weeks off of work. About to go for for the second time to a hand clinic to make sure its healing alright.
Considering everything it brought me and her together and it was fun spending 10 days together, staying in hotel/and a live in condo in yorkville, eating out in restaurants and being babied by this girl.

Her insurance is saying it was the lint duct system which has to be maintained by the condo property owners and cleaned twice a year. The property owners insurance is looking at the dryer now too.

So wat can i do to get compensated?
How much should i expect to get back? lost wages? or more?
Should i hire an attorney?
Do i sue my girlfriend and get money thru her insurance

I need some legal insight here..... thanks everyone!
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

If you really want to be compensated, you will have to sue the condo corp and your gf, so whichever party is determined to be at fault will end up paying.

With respect to what you will get, lost wages, some pain and suffering (amount for this depends on the judge and the type of day he/she is having) and your legal fees (if you decide to hire an attorney. Whether or not you should hire an attorney or not depends on how badly you want the money, note that he will probably want 30% (usually). Also, if you get your court costs reimbursed, you will get taxed on them as they are a taxable benefit in Canada. Naturally you will get the offsetting deduction to the extent that you actually used/were charged.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like you got burned pretty badly, I usually discourage people from making bullshit claims just to nickle and dime their way to fortunes but if you got seriously hurt, exercise your right and get as much as you deserve. Burns suck, and i do speak so from experience.

Best of luck no matter what you decide.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
davericher20
black and blue

did you get your bmw yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

my gf said after she gets taken care of she is going to start the insurance claim process for me...i hope i get some money out of this, at least my lost wages....if not more..... i decided i cant afford a bmw yet, still on my mind and in my dreams, this might make me enough money to afford one
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

If you are thinking of getting big money, don't get your hopes too high. The lawyer or you can file for a maximum which is $1M. The most you will get is your lost wages, and you can also say that you couldn't perform you normal daily tasks. That you had to hire someone to do your laundry, cook, clean for you, etc. They will want receipts, so document how many days and make up a rate ($). Since you fingers were hurt you can also say that you needed help in the washroom, that you couldnt wipe your own butt since the burns to the hand. That's pertty much the only way you going to be able to make some cash on the side.

Get a lawyer, they have doctors that will hook you up with statemets. They look good in court since the Doc issued it. You can also play the psychological card as well and say that now you are tramautized when going into the laundry room, and that you have developed a Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) making you go and check the that the dryer is not on fire numerous times a day! That you cant sleep because you have nighmares and you keep waking up to check the dryer. Your lawyers Psyc will make that report All this may seem funny but it works.

I hope you see how this works. System is faulty but you have to make use of it. If you get a good lawyer that has connections the figure you could expect is ranging form $3,000 - $10,000

Good luck and definitely SUE!

Last edited by Dado 540; 11-09-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

You were burnt and off work for 2 weeks and you have all the medical records to prove it, I would suggest that you get a lawyer,he will know the process in serving all the papers to all parties.

Most of the time, it will never get to court; you will get your money.

damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
You should have just walked away. If she has cash to get her condo, she can get a new cloths. It becomes even if you get the conpensation for work, but what about suffering you went through.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

anyone wanna suggest a lawyer that gets paid only if i get paid?
I do have the paper work. From the ER report, to the hand clinic report, to hours lost of work from my boss, to even the perscription. I also have pics of my injury, it looks nasty.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

Is this the same chick for that tattoo thing spelled wrong?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

^ hahahah good memory

Post those pics Tommy!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

gotta get her to send me the pics of my hand, its on her camera. And no this is a different girl.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

crazy. glad your both alright, burns suck bad.

keep this updated if u can curiou$ a$ to what happen$, long run.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

I see. I am sure and hope you can get afew bucks out of it. I forgot but are you Croatian as well?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

i hope i get some money too, trust me. No i am not croatian.
i will update when things progress and put those pics up asap.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
anyone wanna suggest a lawyer that gets paid only if i get paid?
I do have the paper work. From the ER report, to the hand clinic report, to hours lost of work from my boss, to even the perscription. I also have pics of my injury, it looks nasty.

In personal injury cases. all lawyers will get their cuts once it is settled, ask all the pertinent questions to your case before getting the lawyer to represent you.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: