Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Arrow T.O Store owner catches shoplifter - gets 4 charges, is facing years in prison

the shoplifter recieved only 30 days.

and the media spins it as Justice for the shopowner, that they dropped 2 of the 4 charges!

Quote:
SJustice for vigilante -2 charges dropped against shopkeeper

Surrounded by Chinese community supporters, vigilante merchant Weng "David" Chen expressed relief yesterday after the most serious charges against him in a spring run-in with a shoplifter were dropped.

A justice of the peace granted provincial prosecutor Colleen Hepburn's request to withdraw kidnapping and possession of a dangerous weapon charges against Chen, 35, and two of his employees.

Hepburn did not give reasons, but said the province will go to trial next June on lesser charges of assault and forcible confinement.

Holding the hand of Ellee Wong, widow of late Markham MPP Tony Wong -- one of more than 25 supporters in court -- Chen said in halting English: "I'm feeling much (better) because they dropped the charge."

He hopes to be cleared, "so I can go on with working at my store."

After ripping off plants at the Lucky Moose Food Mart on Dundas St. W. in May, habitual thief Anthony Bennett then stole from another shop, and was grabbed about an hour later after returning to Chen's store.

Police arrested the three after freeing Bennett, who pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Lawyer Peter Lindsay said his client should never have been charged, calling the kidnapping accusation "ludicrous."
The weapons charge was in reference to a box-cutter on Chen's belt, Lindsay said.

Chinatown shoplifting is "rampant," Bennett has a 33-year theft record and merchants are frustrated with police, the lawyer said.

A constitutional challenge about citizen's arrest rights will form a major part of the defence case during Chen's trial next June, Lindsay said.

The three can now be tried before a judge instead of the additional jury requirement for a kidnapping charge.

"We'll go to trial on the other two charges and we're confident in the judicial system," Lindsay said. "We're anxious to get this over as soon as possible."

"You should be able to arrest anybody you know has committed a crime. It was a valid citizen's arrest."

"Why all the focus on Mr. Chen and not on Mr. Bennett and his ongoing crimes?" Lindsay said.

Expressing frustration with Toronto Police, he said he gave a detective statements from other merchants about the shoplifter's recent activities, "but they're still investigating."

Lindsay said Chen even has a video of Bennett stealing.

Proceeding with the remaining charges, "is not a good use of our court resources," Lindsay said

Lucky Moose customer Marianne Chong said the shopkeeper is "being made a scapegoat" for faulty, misunderstood laws about citizen's arrests.

She said teachers should tell children their rights to hold people for police after seeing a crime committed.

"His reaction was quite understandable," Chong said.

Working 16 hours a day and with children to support, Chen's court time costs him unreasonably, as do legal fees, she said.

Meanwhile, Bennett "can get a legal aid lawyer."

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron...26846-sun.html
i guess the 'unofficial' message from the law is clear: STEAL everything you can! it is after all the minor offence of shoplifting & the store owner will be in more trouble then u if he defends himself or property/Livelyhood. how unjust

is there anyway to Donate to this poor guys legal defence! this story don't mention?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

yikes...a weapons charge for a box cutter
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
maroli
6th Gear Member

yay for canada. ****ing dipshits.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Rice
1st Gear Newbie

The justice system is here so retarded sometimes. What's this shit about you have to catch the thief red handed "in" your store. If he runs out of your store you can't do shit to him. Thats just so retarded.
Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
chromius
6th Gear Member

I read about this earlier today. It just sickens me. The worst part is that the thief got his sentence reduced to 30 days because he agreed to testify against the shop owner. As I've said a million times, in our beautiful system, criminals have more rights than good citizens. Our system is really broken.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
This shit always happens in chinatown on Broadview. It was on news.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Fel
Not Banned

This is just ridiculous. What a dumb situation.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

hold on a second here...my tax dollars are paying for Bennett's legal aid lawyer!! now that right there is a bigger injustice! I want my tax money back. I expect it to be put to good use to catch thieves like Bennett not protect him as a victim!

I feel for Chen...and this JP should be a bit more reasonable about this.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

YUP.

****ED UP siht... you cant defend your own property, you cant do shit. IF this guy loses in court, there should be a ****ING RIOT. And I swear to god, I will be there if this man loses in court. We will riot, will march in Queens Park.

IF you are starving for food, and ask for food, thats one thing.. If youre just a theif to accumlate wealth, etc, go **** your self.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
daytona
6th Gear Member

The cops who responded should have never file those charges,if he didnt the owner would got a charge for minor incident.The crown has its head up its butt for not dropping all charges.Watch out mad man with box cutters roaming the streets doing drive by cutting..We got gang bangers being let go on technicalities and the court system spends thousand trying a owner for capturing a fricking crook.Canada justice system never surprises me.Look at the pedo fuc murderer Olson,hes been sending e-mails to his victims families and has a lawyer defending his "rights" to have usage of the internet.WTF?..
Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
woofster
3rd Gear Member

Another fine example of our judicial system. Let us all rejoice in comfort!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
I read about this earlier today. It just sickens me. The worst part is that the thief got his sentence reduced to 30 days because he agreed to testify against the shop owner. As I've said a million times, in our beautiful system, criminals have more rights than good citizens. Our system is really broken.
I have to agree. I just can't believe this goes on and on. What a waste of our resources, not to mention all of the costs to the innocent person.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 11-06-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Haha If you ask in chinatown on broadview and dundas, most owners know that pass by dude still their stuff but, they learned from the past not to get in serious mess for a few bucks. They come into nice grocery stores and steal. They do everywhere.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

now this is ****ing rediculous in all sense of the word!
What a ****ing joke! Stupid judiscial system is serious a hazard to law abiding citizens! The criminals are the ones enjoying the outcome of their crimes while law abiding citizens are the ones losing money on lawyers and facing harder jail time in this case then the actual criminal!!
Sickens me!!
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Blades
Your opinion is to long

wow this country is starting to be such a let down recently .. first these insurance rates going up .. HST bullshit .. city tax .. and now this. wtf .. can the justice system use any common sense.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: