Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
beeEM
1st Gear Newbie

About to Purchase an E46

Hello, ive seen a really good E46 for sale (private) and im thinking of purchasing it. Its a 1999 328i 4 door with 85000k's manual transmission. Fully loaded all original 2nd owner car. I would like to take it to a BMW dealership and have a BMW mechanic take a look at the car. Does anyone know how much this will cost? Also, does anyone have any advice or anything I should look out for before I make the purchase? I dont want to buy a lemon and just want to kow if there are any serious and common problems with this year and if i'll have to pay huge $$$ for maintence in the near future. Im crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all your help. Im going by tomorrow so any advice is very much appreciated!
beeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums, i would be a little worried with a 4 door 99 328 with only 85k first off. Another thing definitly take it to BMW to get it checked out, but be warned repairs could possibly quite expensive. For instance I have a 96 318ti swapped M52B28 and alternator needed to be replaced plus an oil change ran me just under 700.

so make sure you know what you could possibly get your self into.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
E46bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Ask for all the service records and look at the mileage from each visit. To me it sounds like it was sitting at a garage for a long period of time or something. And maintenance and repairs isn't so bad so long as you dont take it to the stealership.

I just bought mine used and have had only good things to say.
E46bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
The-Traveler
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the milage is a little suspicious so get it checked out. Just keep in mind that the BMW Dealerships charge a lot of money for inspections.

You can get a don't remember how many, point inspection for around 70 bucks but that doesn't cover validating that the mileage is correct.

For that you need to pay a couple hundred for the engine diagnostics. If you want the transmission diagnostics done it's over 300 dollars.

That's what I was told anyway when I wanted to get my e46 inspected before I bought it.

One thing to be very weary of is the rear subframe cracking. Look up "rear subframe crack" on e46fanatics.com as well as here.

Good Luck.
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
XtasyX
2nd Gear Member

i paid 125$ at bmw waterloo for like a 125 point inspection or something and it was worth it as i wouldnt have gotten the dealership to change my ccv valve before i bought it. you can also bring it to rocco at rmp motors as he offers inspections too.
but yea, id get that subframe checked for sure and all the vins matches up. also run carproof and carfax.

Power:
UUC Flywheel + M5 Clutch, eBay Headers, Gruppe M Intake, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust 16533, MarkD Tune

Dyno'ed 210/209!

Looks:
30% Tint front + 20% Tint rear, Blacked out grills and reflectors, Shadowline Trim, Blacked out reflectors, 6K HIDs Low, 3K Fogs, DRL Delete

More to come...
XtasyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
beeEM
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the info guys. How much does replacing the rear subframe cost on average?
beeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

3-5k+, however BMW covers it in many cases. Got mine replaced for free plus I had a 2008 328xi loaner for two months

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK
OEM Clears, LED license plate lights, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
E46bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
3-5k+, however BMW covers it in many cases. Got mine replaced for free plus I had a 2008 328xi loaner for two months
So are you saying that BMW Canada will take care of the subframe issue at no cost just as BMW USA is?
E46bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeEM View Post
Thanks for the info guys. How much does replacing the rear subframe cost on average?
4k minimum. i've heard M3's getting up at the 12k range.

i'd stay away from the early years. they tend to have more issues than the later years.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46bimmer View Post
So are you saying that BMW Canada will take care of the subframe issue at no cost just as BMW USA is?
They covered mine, I am not saying they will cover everyone's.

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK
OEM Clears, LED license plate lights, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
AdrianBmW
2nd Gear Member

I got into a 99' 328i about a year ago from an e36 ! The E46 is simply amazing to drive, but what i ran into has been suspension issues make sure to check rear shocks and coil overs its common for them to brake after many years on a e46.. and 85k .. thats amazing, but sounds a bit suspicious. I had a buddy that bouht a 99 prelude wiht LOW LOW clicks and when he saw the UVIP it was wreked and not driven for 4 years becuase no one had fixed it ! lol so becareful.. check lights on dash board .. truthfully i would recommend taking it to a local bimmer shop.. i use BIMMERSPORT they are on here as sponcers call 905.670.9200 for an appointment and get the car checked. drive it feel the clutch out and listen out for noises..

Black Sedan FTW
Active Autowerke Software/ Simota Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake/ LED Angel eyes / 18in' Style M-166
AdrianBmW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
xlash
Still learning....

take it to RMP.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
vladvm
2nd Gear Member

subframe damage is rare, but good to get it inspected. I'd be more worried with the low mileage. For sure lots of short trips, cold starts, stop and go.... very bad for drivetrain.

Get a 2002+ E46 instead. Better quality.
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: