Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Sry to revive old post but came across this,

When someone is injured as a pedestrian, they become a claimant on the at fault party's claim. Given that the person who hit you was identified, you will be claiming under their Bodily Injury section which is part of their Third Party Liability coverage.

Your first source of coverage is your own AB section on your policy. If you don't have that or you go past your limit of coverage you claim under the BI of the other party.
Is there any recourse for the injured pedestrian if they have no insurance of their own/in their household and the "at fault party" is also not insured (as in the scenario described above) or not identified (hit and run)?

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Young Gun
Top Gear

If the other party is not insured your only source is lawsuit. If the other party is not identified and you really have no insurance through work or anyone in your household you are SOL. I mean OHIP will cover your medical expenses in Ontario, but anything such as prescriptions or cyropractors would be out of your pocket.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
E36is
'OldSchool..'

thread revival:

For a winter vehicle, what is the absolute best insurance cover (ie: cheapest) that i should get for this vehicle? Liability and comprehensive or just liability? As for my other car, while it will be in the garage, im confused if i should still keep full insurance on it just incase the beater breaks down and i have to use the other car? Or if i just put fire and theft on that car can i easily re-instate full insurance on it and use the car while i fix up the beater?? What do other people do??
Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Hi E36is, you raise a good point!

What coverage you purchase should depend on the value of the beater. If you can afford to replace the car if it is a write it off, then carrying only liability would be fine (and the cheapest). Otherwise, go with full coverage.

With respect to switching cars up if the need arises; you don't need to leave comprehensive on the summer vehicle to do that. However, If your summer car is older, to re-add it; your company may ask for pictures, an appraisal, or a safety certificate if you didn't leave comprehensive on it for the laid up months. They may not even allow you to add it back on. The rules for a car currently listed on a policy vs. a car that has to be newly or re-listed can be different.

When calling your agent/broker to make arrangements for your winter beater, discuss the process of re-adding your summer car to make sure you aren't creating future headaches.

Point of interest: Comprehensive coverage is not affected by your driving record. If you have a recent at fault accident or have never had one, the rate your company would charge (exclusively for comp.) is identical.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

^^
Let's say the summer car is newer (than the winter beater) and has only liability coverage for the winter hibernation period. Is emergency vehicle switching coverage automatic or this is something that has to be pre-arranged with the insurance agent?

And what if the winterbeater dies on a friday evening when the insurance office is already closed for business and you cant call the agent to advise you're switching vehicles, can I just pull the summer car out of the garage and use it all week end long? Would I be covered and to what extent is the coverage?
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
E34TDS
1st Gear Newbie

My summer car IS a winter beater....
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahctuning View Post
^^
Let's say the summer car is newer (than the winter beater) and has only liability coverage for the winter hibernation period. Is emergency vehicle switching coverage automatic or this is something that has to be pre-arranged with the insurance agent?

And what if the winterbeater dies on a friday evening when the insurance office is already closed for business and you cant call the agent to advise you're switching vehicles, can I just pull the summer car out of the garage and use it all week end long? Would I be covered and to what extent is the coverage?
Sorry! I missed this...

A switch between cars you already own is NOT AUTOMATIC!!! It must be discussed with your agent/broker. No discussion on record = not covered in any way.

A newly acquired vehicle has VERY different rules; there are limited automatic coverages for a brief period of time. Depending on your situation, you may not even qualify for the automatic coverage. (ie: if you have more then 1 auto policy in your name) As a rule our brokerage advises that our clients report all changes to us before you take delivery of a new(or new to you) vehicle.

With insurance, never assume you have coverage, get it in writing or at least verbally (and note the persons name, extension &or employee #)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E34TDS View Post
My summer car IS a winter beater....
My winter beater IS a summer car I decrease my collision deductible for the winter months.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #23
M1_DRM
1st Gear Newbie

good thread... I am new to the site and have just read it.

About 5 years ago, during a heavy winter storm I was driving my pathfinder to work and entered the underground parking garage. There was a lot snow on my vehicle and many of the windows were covered. Why backing up into a spot I hit a very low porsche carrera 4s that was being stored with a white car cover. The walls of underground parking were white and I could see the car clearly.

Anyways, family member that work in insurance, told me that the porsche owner could be at fault and they should not storing their car in a public place like that and I should check to see if he removed the insurrance for storage. This would mean that the guy would be forced to deal with it and insurance would say 'too bad' to him. I took responsibility and paid for the damages and told the guy that it was hard to see his car and also about the insurance advice my family gave me. In the end, he suggested we split the cost and I was grateful.

This year I stored my M3 and did it right. The storage place that I used stated that I needed to have insurance. I left the minimum on as this is a professional storage facility and not open to other public cars. It was also cheaper than month parking. LOL...
M1_DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

hockeyfan27 - your PM box is full and trying to contact you for some quotes!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Apologies. I'm a digital hoarder.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
Goochbot
1st Gear Newbie

Hi, I apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong section or if this topic has been covered elsewhere on the forum. Should that be the case kindly direct me to the appropriate thread as I have been unable to find such.

I would like to get an idea of what I would expect to pay for insurance as a 28 year old male with a perfect driving record on an 80's 325 eta.

Thank you for your assistance.
Goochbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #27
YYZF22N55
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Sry to revive old post but came across this,

When someone is injured as a pedestrian, they become a claimant on the at fault party's claim. Given that the person who hit you was identified, you will be claiming under their Bodily Injury section which is part of their Third Party Liability coverage.

Your first source of coverage is your own AB section on your policy. If you don't have that or you go past your limit of coverage you claim under the BI of the other party.

That is how it works in "No Fault" (DCA provinces, ON, QC & NB).

In "Tort" provinces (all others & most of the states) you get a lawyer and sue the shit out of the other party !

Just putting this out there in case somone does need to tap into this insurance.
You are correct about coverage through Bodily Injury (Third Party Claims) and how it provides coverage beyond Accident Benefits, but you're missing a key point.

Accident Benefits is a mandatory coverage as long as you have at least Liability (min. requirement to drive a car legally) on the vehicle.

To make a long story short - Anyone that gets injured as a result of a Motor Vehicle Accident will have access to Accident Benefits. No don't fret.
YYZF22N55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: