Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
cwatson9510
1st Gear Newbie

E46 Subframe Mount Repair...Gone wrong

I am posting to ask for some advice about a little problem I have. A couple months ago I had had my rear subframe mounts rip out of my E46. I was denied any coverage by BMW and was quoted over $10,000 for the repair at the dealership (Some of you may know about this problem with the early E46s and the class action lawsuit in the States). I decided to have the repair done by a shop in the GTA that will remain unnamed right as of now. They had my car for almost 2 months and claimed to have repaired and reinforced my subframe mounts. The bill totalled over $3500 after taxes ($2600 for the bodywork, $400 for the 'reinforcement kit' and $140 for an alignment. When I got the car back the steering wheel was way off center and my traction control light was on. When I took it back they said they couldn't align the front wheels because my tie rods were loose (fair enough), and the light was on because I need a new steering angle sensor (I know this is BS because the light wasn't on before). After driving for a couple weeks, I still heard some weird clunking/knocking noises coming from the rear of the car so I diagnosed it as a bad diff bushing. Now comes the bad part. Today I was under the car doing the rear diff bushing when I found that my subframe repair was a complete hack job. Only the rearmost subframe mounts had been welded up, one of which is already separate by the looks of it. The passenger front mount is completely torn away, and i can move and push the large stud up into the body with my hand. To top it off, my exhaust was left hanging by one hanger and my brace by the driveshaft (the horseshoe looking thing) is broken in half. $3600 for that?? Are you f****** serious? I am beyond pissed. I am going to call the shop tomorrow and have a little talk. It is already highway robbery to charge me $400 for the reinforcement kit, and this makes me wonder if it was ever installed in the first place... Maybe they only welded the reinforcements plates for the rear mounts only? I know most reinforcement kits are 8 pieces. This is fraud if you ask me. I'd like to hear some opinions.
cwatson9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
jabela
5th Gear Member

Demand your money back or threaten legal action and TV news coverage. If you're lucky they will do it, but not likely.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

Take lots of pics for evidence.

Do you have some kind of relationship with this shop? Have you gone there before for other repairs?
Quickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
skru_fase
Lurker

Brutal. A great mechanic is like gold with these cars...
skru_fase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I certainly hope that is one clean, low mileage 328ci..

Joking aside, disclose the name of the shop. Even if they end up refunding you / making it right in the end, I would want to know and avoid them for my own sake. Nobody should go through such a situation.

Just going down this rabbit hole with them says enough, really.
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
cwatson9510
1st Gear Newbie

Sorry for the slow reply everyone. Yes, I know the cost of the repair is basically equal if not more than the value of the car. The shop quoted the job at around $1500 (probably just to get the car in the shop), so I authorized. It was't until after a few weeks of having the car, they said it would be "closer to $2500". I have taken the car back to the shop twice since my last post. They had it for 2 weeks and supposedly fixed the section where the front passenger subframe mount was still broken. I took it back again to have the rest of the reinforcement plates installed after I discovered they were never welded in. They had the car for a month that time. Upon further inspection it appears that the floor mounts have still not been repaired properly after a grand total of 11 weeks with them having my car. I would love to mention the name of the shop but that could be considered defamation and ruin any case I may have against them.
cwatson9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Defamation: the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel.

You aren't being slanderous / libellous if everything you're mentioning is true, and you are providing the full story. More of a documentation of events.

Either way, to each their own. Good luck.
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: