Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi-guy View Post
Why wouldn't I? I have plenty of money and i live up north were you need all wheel drive and if i can end up pumping out over 300 hp out of my 325 it will be much more unique and satisfying than just buying a faster car.
You're not going to get over 300HP out of that motor without boost.

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I would just like to comment that HP numbers can be missleading when it comes to performance. Most power adding products use the HP number because it looks bigger, but that number usually comes at a high ass rpm level, after torgue has dropped off.

basically you could have a high HP motor, that doesn't match the performance of a lower HP motor.

Now b4 I get jumped yes HP is relative to torgue numbers, but you want both. I know Mark D designes his tunes with higer mid range torgue which provides drivable, usable higher HP numbers also. He adds power where it counts and doesn't chase the highest unusable number to be able to misslead strictly for people who see a high HP number and jump.

Also if the car is AWD....your goals to improve performance should be more related to torgue as your moving a heavier set of driveline components.

I also apload the OP for building the car he wants, and not giving into just buying the car everyone says is better....origional builds are more interesting and sometimes more complicated, but you end up with a wicked ride which is not cookie cutter.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

swap a m3 engine in there and call it a day if you wanna be unique someone did it on e46f. you can be the first in canada =)..actually no one did a xi yet i beleive...
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeddy View Post
swap a m3 engine in there and call it a day if you wanna be unique someone did it on e46f. you can be the first in canada =)..actually no one did a xi yet i beleive...
and for good reason .. its cheaper to just buy an m3 and sell the current car .. or even cheaper then a swap on an xi .. get a supercharger.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

i say XI swap an m3 lol, or do as was posted and m3 swap your XI,alternatively you could also look into a winter beater and pick up something else?
tg07lq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You could put a motor in the 325 (not hard to find a 330 motor).

Having said that, in your position (because swapping motors is harder cause of AWD), you really SHOULD be looking at boost.

Having said that, bolt ons aren't gonna do much for you, since what minimal gains you will get will be diminished by the greater torque loss and loss of responce cause of the AWD. Even a 330 motor will only give you a small bump in power. I've seen that type of AWD system hold up to 400hp on a daily driven car. Turbo kits for e46's are readily availble and not that expensive, most likely cheaper than an engine swap.
Think about it, do some research. I'm not one to jump into boost quickly either, but this is the right place to do it.

edit: you could also look at how the N54 AWD motor bolts up (on 335XI), might be possible to swap that in also.
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
325xi-guy
1st Gear Newbie

You all have good points, and heres my views: first off I wont be doing an engine swap because of the awd like i said I live up north and it is nice to have stability through the snow, now having said that, yes I no you can get the 330 xi swap but there isn't a large enoph hp gain to make it worth the cash, I am going to use the cash to do a custum super or turbo kit in the spring. It has to be custum because no company makes a kit for an e46 325 xi but again having some custum performance under the hood will be a project and in the end I will be much more pleased with my finishing result.

Last thing, I no some of you are saying to simply buy a 330 xi and then upgrade but the main problem I have with that is that when i purchased my 325 it was between it and the 330 and in the end I found that driving the 325 was a bit more fun, I found that it was a nimbler car to drive and it had less understeer.
325xi-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #23
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

You'll have a problem custom tuning a turbo/supercharger on a E46. go with a supercharger. More kits and easier to tune then a turbo.(again, on a e46).
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
Blocked_Out
Banned

there are NO cheap HP upgrades
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #25
vladvm
2nd Gear Member

waste of money.

just wait till you can afford a car you don't need to modify to stir your soul.
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #26
Katmanz
Mwah!

Is there such a thing??? A car that doesn't stir up the mod bug???

2001 330ci - Winter beater - RIP
2001 330i -
2006 325i -
Katmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
cancan
1st Gear Newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamant View Post
Hvae you dyno'd it?

what numbers are you now pushing?
No, I didn't. And I don't have data prior to that. So, I have no idea.
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #28
fadi03325i
1st Gear Newbie

I have an 03 325i RWD which I bought stock for very cheap from a friend, all I've done so far is catback exhaust, CAI, suspension and better brakes,

Not really sure if its a good idea to do anything else since I'm considering selling it sometime in next 1-2 years for and getting a 330i,
UUC Catback Exhaust
20% Tints
H and R Touring Cup Kit

......hmmmmm - whats next?
fadi03325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #29
Another BM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadi03325i View Post
I have an 03 325i RWD which I bought stock for very cheap from a friend, all I've done so far is catback exhaust, CAI, suspension and better brakes,

Not really sure if its a good idea to do anything else since I'm considering selling it sometime in next 1-2 years for and getting a 330i,

Liar..
your 325 is not RWD...
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #30
AdrianBmW
2nd Gear Member

Do a software upgrade.. check out Active Autowerke they have great products.

Black Sedan FTW
Active Autowerke Software/ Simota Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake/ LED Angel eyes / 18in' Style M-166
AdrianBmW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: