Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Carbon Fiber Upgrade

Been upgrading my interior trim to Carbon Fibre. Just ordered second sheet to complete centre console and rear door trim. Also ordered new Napa leather shift knob (as the current wood grain one doesn't belong any longer). Both arriving this week hopefully. Finish job this weekend.

Thoughts/impressions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2298.jpg (105.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2297.jpg (91.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2300.jpg (86.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2299.jpg (102.0 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2296.jpg (94.9 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2277.jpg (49.7 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2289.jpg (46.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2279.jpg (50.9 KB, 324 views)
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
ryanjv
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to ryanjv
how much would you charge if i wanted this done to an e90's trim.

Last edited by ryanjv; 10-27-2009 at 02:15 PM.
ryanjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

It's about 1 hr per piece (give or take) so we're looking @ about 6 hrs.... Something like $150 for labour and about $120 for the carbon fibre trim (my cost; no profit)..... Let me know.... We could meet and you could see the final product. It looks great!! PM me and I'll give you contact details.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

What else are you looking to wrap in carbon? Maybe we can hook up. I've been dieing to do something to my interior.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

looks great! I wrapped my trim in suede last year, so I can understand the effort put into this.

on a side note: did you get your door armrests(handles) wrapped in leather?? I didn't think that was a factory option..
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
nachos23
SweetXi

The arm rests and remainder of car (except seats and sterring wheel) were stock in my car. I had the executive option which added the leather arm rests, Harmon Karden, wood grain, and the loaded original seats (every option).... Suede would be cool, but I'd be afraid of getting it wet or wear.... How's it holding up?

As far as what's remaining to do:

1. Centre console - Carbon
2. Drivers door and and rear door trim - Carbon
3. Replacing Shift knob with new Napa leather knob (should be here this week).....
4. Re-storing and re-dying the front seats using Leatherrique..... Goona start that project over the next couple of months....
5. Transferring the Lumbar support from my factory seats to my new ones (same time as Leatherique treatment since they'll be out of car)......

Oh yes, almost forgot, AA tuning software this week @ Bimmersport.......

That should be it..... Love the way the rest of the car looks..... What else could I cover? not into fibre dashes and stuff like that.....Too much carbon CAN BE a bad thing.......

Last edited by nachos23; 10-28-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
nachos23
SweetXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbimmer View Post
What else are you looking to wrap in carbon? Maybe we can hook up. I've been dieing to do something to my interior.
Anytime.... PM me!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
The arm rests and remainder of car (except seats and sterring wheel) were stock in my car. I had the executive option which added the leather arm rests, Harmon Karden, wood grain, and the loaded original seats (every option).... Suede would be cool, but I'd be afraid of getting it wet or wear.... How's it holding up?
I only had the suede trim on for a few months, but it held up well! The only problem I had with it was when I was covering the centre console piece, as the fabric was fairly thick and there is practically no space around the window switches. It was a PITA to wrap that piece.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
Anytime.... PM me!
Nice, Looks like I have a winter project.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
nachos23
SweetXi

hopefully it shouldn't take all winter to complete!! LOL No probs showing you how..... big trick is patience cause you can't rush this..... It's not the vinyl wrap so guys are putting in their vehicles.... that looks like MacTac. THey're using a vinyl sheet (wallpaper) that is just a printed graphic, this is real carbon fiber weave!! The vinyl wrapyou just peel, heat and apply. stretches like crazy and pull it into position.... this you must heat and then form it to the piece, then hold whiile it cools, then repeat along seam until entire seam is done!! more work but definitely worth the investment!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

www.maxbimmer.com its where i picked up my carbon fiber interior pieces, they have a pretty big selection of carbon pieces

Last edited by vic325ci; 11-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.
vic325ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
nachos23
SweetXi

try that link again bud...... The point is that instead of buying CB pieces (bimmian's CF trim kit is $475 + tax), I'm buying the CF and wrapping the pieces. The trim kits are thin CF layers that are moulded to go over your existing trim..... Felt I could get as good or better a finish wrapping myself and using a heavier gauge CF trim. Mine is 0.4mm. It is very similar to the CF trim on the M3's. They use a dry look CF trim using 3M adhesive, I liked the finished (UV coated and polished) look and the heavier guage of the CF trim gives it more character. The vinyl trim that is beign sold out there looks like shit in my opinion. Actually bought (and promptly returned) a vinyl CF trim initially.... Wouldn't put it on my car... Looked like cheap MacTac and when installed it is strectched to go around curves and bends..... stretched???? Imagine CF pieces with stretched CF pattern..... ya real authentic looking..... LOL

Like stuff is amazing!! requires time and patience to heat and mould each piece to the contours of the piece you're wrapping, but it looks amazing!! Just waiting for 2nd piece to arrive to complete job. Only bought 1 sheet to see what it looked like and test it, but ended-up installing it.... 2nd piece should be here Mon/Tues.......and new leather shift knob too!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

Love to see what else you can wrap? So many little things I would love to wrap in Carbon. I'll PM you and we can see what we can do, Cool?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
nachos23
SweetXi

Cool. Still driving the M3 (750hp) version? Love to see it..... You can wrap just about anything. Depends on the thivkness of the wrap you use. I used a 0.4mm wrap; suitable for interior trim and parts. Not suitable for wrapping a mirror for instance. Need to go with a thinner wrap for that. I used this wrap for my interior trim http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...Q5fAccessories If you want to wrap more complex pieces then you may need to look @ a vinyl wrap or real carbon fiber and wrap it (mix chemicals, etc.). They also carry a 1.5mm double-sided carbon wrap which could be interesting as well..... Let me know. New shift knob arrived today. Hopefully tomorrow on second sheet of wrap to finish interior....
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
scotty328ci
1st Gear Newbie

hey !

your carbon fiber work looks awesome , i was looking into getting something like that done to my 328 , are you just working out of home doing this work or are you at a shop ?
scotty328ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon fibre, e46, interior, trim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: