Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
TyantA
2nd Gear Member

Cost to replace lower control arm, bushings?

I'm told my car needs new lower control arm/ball joint and have received advice that if it is being changed, I should also change both bushings.

There's a definitive wobble in the left front wheel when I hit bumps so I do not doubt the diagnosis, especially after the experience on my old car where I almost lost the front wheel on the highway...

So I'm looking to get both replaced and as I mentioned, the bushings were recommended. I've seen posts in here saying the bushing can cost like $80 or something.

Can someone give me a feel for how much I should be expecting to pay to get these parts replaced?

Thanks.
TyantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
edp82
3rd Gear Member

4-5hundred parts and labor for both sides
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Singe
BGDorcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by edp82 View Post
4-5hundred parts and labor for both sides
Thats about right, i got mine polyurethane bushings from ebay for $90 shipped
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
TyantA
2nd Gear Member

That gives me an idea, thanks. Just looking to do control arms on the left side. Bushings, I'm told are best if both are done.
TyantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^ Do both becuase the other may go soon. You will just waste your time to come in again. IMO.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

I have a spare set of m3 lower control arm bushings for sale, they are much stronger than the non-m e36 bushings and improve front end stiffness a bit as well last a hell of a lot longer. Also your whole control arm may not need to be changed, if its a non-m control arm you may have the option of changing the ball joints, depending on which ones are giving out. I also have a set of lower control arms non-m that i can sell to you for dirt cheap, you'd just have to replace the ball joints attaching to the spindle as i hacked up the thread and grease boot when i was taking them off my car. The ball joint in the middle that hooks up to the subframe is fine on both. It might also be worth to mention that the control arm bushings are already pressed into these control arms and ready to go. Save a bit of labour plus a nice upgrade on the bushings, and save some big bucks. PM me if you are interested!
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
edp82
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybp View Post
I have a spare set of m3 lower control arm bushings for sale, they are much stronger than the non-m e36 bushings and improve front end stiffness a bit as well last a hell of a lot longer. Also your whole control arm may not need to be changed, if its a non-m control arm you may have the option of changing the ball joints, depending on which ones are giving out. I also have a set of lower control arms non-m that i can sell to you for dirt cheap, you'd just have to replace the ball joints attaching to the spindle as i hacked up the thread and grease boot when i was taking them off my car. The ball joint in the middle that hooks up to the subframe is fine on both. It might also be worth to mention that the control arm bushings are already pressed into these control arms and ready to go. Save a bit of labour plus a nice upgrade on the bushings, and save some big bucks. PM me if you are interested!
you've got mail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: