Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

*Help* Anyone with a ticking DSC/ABS unit ever !??!?!

My long dilemma with an infuriating ticking noise has finally been narrowed down to the DSC/ABS on our 2002 X5. We had exhausted everything else on the driveline and as a last resort thought of unplugging the DSC/ABS and VOILA !!! No more ticking. Just need to now figure out if it's the electronics or the unit itself that needs attention. I'm hazarding a guess that it's the electronics as when the thing is shifted into neutral or you just start touching the brakes, the tick is gone ................... so figuring that it has to do with the signal to the unit.

Thoughts ?!?!?!?!?
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
My long dilemma with an infuriating ticking noise has finally been narrowed down to the DSC/ABS on our 2002 X5. We had exhausted everything else on the driveline and as a last resort thought of unplugging the DSC/ABS and VOILA !!! No more ticking. Just need to now figure out if it's the electronics or the unit itself that needs attention. I'm hazarding a guess that it's the electronics as when the thing is shifted into neutral or you just start touching the brakes, the tick is gone ................... so figuring that it has to do with the signal to the unit.

Thoughts ?!?!?!?!?
I think some guy mentioned that possibility in your other thread:

-----------------------------

One last guess, but it's just a really wild one: pull out the ABS controller and see if this sound completely goes away. If so, it's not in the driveline, but something wrong with the ABS. If there is a separate DSC module, try removing that also. As I said, just something to try.

------------------------------

Funny that the guy selling AA software didn't mention this possibility, but I did.

I bet you have a faulty wheel speed sensor, the ABS/DSC is thinking that one wheel is not turning as fast as the rest, and triggering a change in torque or the ABS to activate for a few milliseconds.
There may be a tooth missing on a wheel and that could trigger this. That is what my line of thinking was when I mentioned this, but I didn't elaborate at that time.

Last edited by MarkD; 10-10-2009 at 03:05 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
Funny that the guy selling AA software didn't mention this possibility, but I did.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Thanks again MarkD................ I'll check into these areas and keep my figures crossed. Anyways, X5 is sold. Buyer said nothing about the noise ............ but I'm fixing it anyways so that the vehicle is 100% the way I would like to receive it if I was buying it. Anyways, we'll see how it plays out this week. Would be sweet if it's just a wheel speed sensor cost wise!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
LOL..congratulations you've earned yourself an A+ Good tech work Mark, now if only you can be as punctual in person as you are in trying to rip me on the internet. I'll bring a fresh page of stickers for you at the next meet.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
tominizer
6th Gear Member

On topic please !!!

Not a speed sensor............. they all checked out fine.

Sending out the DSC controller tomorrow ........... I hope. Taking it off myself and going to drive it out to this place in Brampton that apparently has been able to fix them............ assuming it's that piece of shit in this first place. This issue has really taken the beats out of me. If it's not that piece, it's the actually ABS unit and that's my last option. After that, I have no fukin clue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: