Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
slimjim
Almost Sideways

m52 obdi swap prob.

we swaped an m52 0bd1 motor into a 1995 318is and are having some starting issues.

the motor was converted to obd1 before the swap and was seen running with the obd1 set-up.

Basically, the motor started on the initial first few attempts, then we shut it off. Once we tried starting it again, it flooded, and since then, it hasnt started. It sounds like it wants to start, but just won't.

- there is spark
- the sparkplugs are wet as hell. we tried drying them and repeating the process, but no success.
- the o2 sensor is not connected, its open headers
- also, there is an extra plug running with the o2 sensor and tranny sensor whivh does not seem to connect with anything, what is this for? what do i do?.
- the vacumeline going from the dip stick is also not connected but i dont think this is significant.

i need some suggestions!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

I may be wrong, but if the O2 sensors not connected wouldnt it make the engine run significantly rich (ie flooding as youre saying)?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Well, since you're getting spark and fuel, the DME thinks everything is ok. The only other thing you really NEED is compression. Unlikely that is your problem, but do a comp test anyway. How do you know you're getting spark? How did you test this?

Then:
- check that the big ICV vac hose is connected to the intake (underside of intake)
- check that your Cam sensor is connected, and not mixed up with a ping sensor (the plugs are the same)
- any codes from the DME?

The extra plug is the reverse sensor, or possibly for the auto tranny if the harness is from an auto donor car.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
I may be wrong, but if the O2 sensors not connected wouldnt it make the engine run significantly rich (ie flooding as youre saying)?
Nah, it'll run fine with no O2 sensor (just not optimal)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Well, since you're getting spark and fuel, the DME thinks everything is ok. The only other thing you really NEED is compression. Unlikely that is your problem, but do a comp test anyway. How do you know you're getting spark? How did you test this?

Then:
- check that the big ICV vac hose is connected to the intake (underside of intake)
- check that your Cam sensor is connected, and not mixed up with a ping sensor (the plugs are the same)
- any codes from the DME?

The extra plug is the reverse sensor, or possibly for the auto tranny if the harness is from an auto donor car.
compression is fine. The ICV hose is in there nice and snug,and the check engine light is on, but i heard thats common when swapping motors
Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
compression is fine. The ICV hose is in there nice and snug,and the check engine light is on, but i heard thats common when swapping motors
i tested spark by grounding the ignition coil, then the plug and turn the engine over.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Why would you think that? Pull the codes for starters, then check the other sensors and all connections. Got a clip of it trying to start?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
slimjim
Almost Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Why would you think that? Pull the codes for starters, then check the other sensors and all connections. Got a clip of it trying to start?
all the connections are good, ill be working on it tonight some more, ill try to film the start up.

thanks, for the input.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
slimjim
Almost Sideways

update.

The car starts now, the problem was the crank sensor. Howeverit takes a few cranks to start everytime we start it (4-6 cranks). when its on, it runs fine, revs up nice and idles fairly well.

the new crak sensor has a little cut in it exposin the insulation within it, i tapped it up. Could this be the problem?

there is still no o2 sensor and exhaust, just open headers.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

edit: nm misread your post

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 10-14-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: