Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #16
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

he'll be fine this way
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
arek
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys,

you guys are right.. I'm just a bit too paranoid and overprotective...
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #18
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
exactly.. why are parents all overly hygenic now a days, kids arent developing their immune systems. now kids all have asthsma and alergies to shit we never had.
I had asthma pretty bad as a kid, but being a child I never really wanted to stop doing what other kids did and ended up hospitalized a few times and now I don't suffer at all.

It's good to teach a child proper hygine but no reason to go overboard, do your best and keep him away from the smelly kid.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
that hand wash shit is so stupid.

alcohol is one of the main ingredient in those purell gels, alcohol opens up your pores and the dirt soaks its self into the pores.

thus the dirt going no where, those hand wash stations are all over my school and retards think theyll help deter viruses and flus.
fyi the alcohol is not supposed to make dirt go anywhere. its to kill the bacteria/viruses.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
Good stuff here in the thread..

How about this damn H1N1? and schools being a highly potential breeding zone.
Just ask yourself this.... if no one had ever told you about H1N1, and all you heard was that "kids at school were getting the flu", would you take the same actions?

H1N1 is bullshit. It's just the flu. That's it.

Schools are potential breeding zones for everything... it's a large building full of dirty little children who don't give a shit about hygene. They share drinks and shoot spitballs at each other. It's bound to create a hot zone for any bacteria..... but ultimately that's a good thing. The more they get exposed to it, the more resistant they become. Immune systems ftw.

Here, a little light reading...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=swine_flu
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #21
pawcio
6th Gear Member

for the most part i agree that the media blows stuff out of proportion and there isn't really that much we can do to stop the spread of seasonal flu or h1n1. people will get sick no matter what so going to extreme lengths like taking kids out of school or avoiding social gatherings may be a little premature.

having said that, people who say 'regular flu and h1n1 is the same thing' are either ignorant or trying to fool themselves. it may be the case that h1n1 will be no worse than the seasonal flu but there is no reason why you can't be somewhat prepared. there was been pandemics in the past and there will be in the future. i'm not scared or panicking about this flu season but my work is mobilizing and preparing for the flu season this year more than ever before. i think its better to be ready just in case and relieved if nothing happens rather than think back and wonder we could've done more.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

My wife and I also very paranoid about it, our daughter 4 and we are debating weather to send her to pre school or not.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
arek
3rd Gear Member

Wife dropped the little bugger off this morning, he was very pleased to be with his friends

I'll make sure to give him a scrub down when he gets home, and I told him to wear his gloves in the classroom..

*joking*
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #24
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
My wife and I also very paranoid about it, our daughter 4 and we are debating weather to send her to pre school or not.
You're kidding me, right? That's where kids build up their immunity from all the germs they're exposed to.

All you people have to stop sheltering your kids. Kids these days are overly sensitive to everything because they aren't exposed to it (i.e. peanut butter). I ate dirt when I was four. My principle threatened me with the strap when I was 8 and I got more than a few spankings from my dad when I was a shit disturber in grade school. Now, you people are paro for letting your kids out of the house because of germs that their parents have become immune to. Teachers are no longer feared, but have become fearful of their jobs because of parental complaints. Kids can't fail tests anymore, can bring assignments in late without penalty and can't be held back a grade. WTF is going on? Really, stop coddling your kids and give them some discipline.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
having said that, people who say 'regular flu and h1n1 is the same thing' are either ignorant or trying to fool themselves. it may be the case that h1n1 will be no worse than the seasonal flu but there is no reason why you can't be somewhat prepared. there was been pandemics in the past and there will be in the future. i'm not scared or panicking about this flu season but my work is mobilizing and preparing for the flu season this year more than ever before. i think its better to be ready just in case and relieved if nothing happens rather than think back and wonder we could've done more.
You don't seem sure of what you believe here...

But the thing is, regular flu and H1N1 are pretty much the same thing, and it's ignorant and foolish to think otherwise. The fact that it's a named unique strain of flu doesn't make it special from any other flu. Every year the population has to deal with a new strain of flu. That's why flu vaccines are so hit and miss, they have a hard time predicting exactly which strain is going to be most prominent... they take a guess at the top couple and innoculate the masses for those few strains. But if you happen to catch something different, sorry, better luck next year.

The thing about H1N1 is that it's been identified and is known. it's possible that it spreads more easily, but as a sickness it is no worse than any other flu. The people that will suffer the most are seniors, babies, and people with autoimmune deficiencies.

Sure, we can always be more prepared to fight off illness... but the fact that everyone is freaking out about this flu seems ridiculous. I'm not going to go out of my way worrying about something that may or may not affect me anyways. If some jackass at work decides to be a trooper and make other people sick by coming in, then go kick him in the sack and send him home where he belongs. If I get sick, I'll chill on the couch until I get better. If I'm healthy, I'm going to continue on with my day... worry free.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #26
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
You don't seem sure of what you believe here...
i'll make it clear for you.

what i know is that its possible that h1n1 will be bad. it may or may not be. so all i'm saying is to be ready just in case, but in the meantime i'm also saying not to freak out about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post

But the thing is, regular flu and H1N1 are pretty much the same thing, and it's ignorant and foolish to think otherwise.
The thing about H1N1 is that it's been identified and is known. i
don't even get me started on this if you don't even understand why its potentially more dangerous than seasonal flu.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #27
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
don't even get me started on this if you don't even understand why its potentially more dangerous than seasonal flu.
"The most important thing to remember about the H1N1 flu virus is that it is just another strain of influenza. And while the flu is never to be taken lightly, people should not live in fear of it either. Nine thousand cases of seasonal flu occur every year on average in Ontario. Approximately 300 people die, either directly from the flu or from the virus complicating existing chronic conditions. That represents a population-based mortality rate of 3.3 per 100,000. The mortality rate due to the H1N1 flu as of August 25 stands at 0.18 deaths per 100,000 people."

-As quoted from a report on H1N1 by Ontario's chief medical officer of health
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ccom/...100_report.pdf

So why is it more dangerous?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #28
pawcio
6th Gear Member

I totally agree with that guy. We shouldn't feak out. I've said it all along.

Its not necessarily more dangerous, its potentially more dangerous.

Here is the reason:
There are two different mechanisms of immunity. One is called innate immunity, which is what we're born with. Its protection is very broad. The other is adaptive immunity and what protects us against pathogens we have already come into contact with by remembering how to produce antibodies to the specific epitope on a specific antigen on a specific pathogen.

The H1N1 flu is an influeza A virus that has haemagglutinin type 1 and neuraminidase type 1 on its surface. Won't go into what they are used for by the virus but we use these surface glycoproteins as antigens. Our immune system recognizes them and we fight the infection in this manner.

The last time an extremely virulent strain of H1N1 went around was in 1918. That means that there is a very very tiny subpopulation of humans living today that have actually come in contact with, and developed an antigenic memory to this virus. There were some other cases of it in the 70's but not as extreme and localized. The rest of us have never come in contact with and do not have any acquired immunity to H1N1.

The reason you get better after a cold so quickly is that your immune system can kick into adaptive immunity faster if it has antigenic memory. Ours doesn't. This means that if this strain happens to be very virulent, it could kill people before our immune systems are able to fight back. Its not certain but there is a potential. Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Don't get me started on the vaccine craze, our lil ones are vaccinated but only the basic mandatory ones that have been around for many many years. Most vaccines contain a lot of mercury and side affects are huge. Some researchers are now linking autism with the mercury in vaccines. We should not blindly follow whatever the pharmaceutical companies say. I deal with pharamaceutical reps on a daily basis and they are first of all in the business to make money! Making money of our paranoid nature. Ofcourse also a lot of good comes from their research no doubt that. Our lil ones had chickenpox and did not receive the vaccine, they were sick for 1 week and so were their cousins who did receive the vaccine incl. that nice dose of mercury. Just my 2 cents
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #30
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
I realize that smart ass, but there is nothing wrong with protecting/preventing yourself from a cold or flu, after touching things in public places.

I hope you wash your hands before you eat?
yes theres a lot of things wrong with that... looks like youre a germ freak.

and theres no need to wash hands before you eat as long as you dont eat food with your hands.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: