Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
jeffrie
Addict

Can't go wrong with the suby, Very easy to work on as well.
Parts are pricy though...
May want to keep the camery for a winter beater though. Suby steel sheet metal is about a thick as tin foil and do not hold out well to salt.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I found nothing nice about driving a G35 coupe personally... Chassis was noisy and seemed to be uneasy over bumps.... Motor was weak...

there are a ton of better cars out there IMO
+- 300 hp and 270 lb-ft is weak? You're on crack. Acceleration numbers are very close to the Bimmer 335i.

This is a car that has consistent ranked second to the Bimmer 3 in just about every respected automotive publication out there. I've read many of them. No complaints about noisy chassis.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
+- 300 hp and 270 lb-ft is weak? You're on crack. Acceleration numbers are very close to the Bimmer 335i.

This is a car that has consistent ranked second to the Bimmer 3 in just about every respected automotive publication out there. I've read many of them. No complaints about noisy chassis.
I was speaking of my experience with the first the Generations... And I don't really care about magazine numbers and rankings... because they're almost always biased..
Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
Hi Everyone, i don't think i need to introduce myself, if you look at my name and you have visited the friday nite woodbridge meets, you probably know who i am.

Anyways, now we have moved and enjoying the new house it's time for another car. I am going to drive my trusty, reliable Camry through the winter but as soon snow is gone the camry will be up for sale and then it's time for something more fun. We have lengthly debates in our house and the ones on here that know Sam you can understand the discussions are going on forever LOL I want to be able to track it and drive it to work.
#1 on my list is another E39, I enjoy driving Sam's 540 tho im not sure if i can handle the headache, like right now we worry when there is NO warning light on on the dash.

I have mostly owned japanese cars, 240sx's and rx7's and believe me these were not problem free either

#2 Suby wrx, they don't come cheap but i know of many that are fun and problem free

#3 G35coupe and i just don't know what to think about this car

I'm sure there are other possible cars and i thought to just bring this debate to Max

Thanks
I suggest you look into the new Audi S4.... it's one hell of a car... a quick test drive and you'll see what I mean. And it's priced very aggressively! Just make sure to get the rear sport diff.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Interesting replies, so now I was thinking if i keep the camry I can just focus on something fun like something right hand drive LOL I have a JDM weakspot. Anyone having experience driving RH on Toronto streets? Oh and that S2000 .....Jay is right LOL
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I suggest you look into the new Audi S4.... it's one hell of a car... a quick test drive and you'll see what I mean. And it's priced very aggressively! Just make sure to get the rear sport diff.
Can't go wrong with an s4. While going on with that I'm going to throw in another wildcard. Volvo S60R.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_DAN View Post
Can't go wrong with an s4. While going on with that I'm going to throw in another wildcard. Volvo S60R.
Sam has brought that up too. He's the big volvo guy plus we already have a fun volvo in the garage
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #23
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Dude. It's gotta fit SAM. He eats meals the size of that car.
you're right, I wasn't thinking about him though

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post

I ate G35's for breakfast with my old 98 540i auto, so they are weak sauce

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #24
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I have similar needs with track car/family hauler, and no budget for two separate cars. So, the best compromise by a land slide is an e36 328i. Laps mosport in 1:46 Stock, extremely comfortable daily driver. Lots of space. Clean ones go for around $6000.

The WRX's are expensive to repair, tiny interiors, (wagons give a bit more trunk space) but are still tiny in the seating area, and are awd, which are horrible around a road course and or autocrosses.

G35 coupes are decent cars, but a little more fragile, when pushed in track environments, and a propensity to understeer, much more than the bimmers.

Oh, and 5ers, are great daily's, but not so good in a sporting mode on track, most 5er guys get spanked at the track by 3's because of weight issues. Sure 540's are quick in a straight line and handle really well for their size, but too heavy to handle briskly, around a track.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy

Last edited by dble Trouble; 10-02-2009 at 10:46 PM.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
xlash
Still learning....

Don't get a G35 for a track car. You'll be sorely disappointed because they feel like a boat. A 200 whp FWD RSX can hammer G35s all day given an intermediate driver. Speaking from experience.

WRX's are better but parts are expensive and interiors are cheap. I test drove a few before looking at the 325i. Get an STi if you want a Subaru - handles better and has more power not to mention baller status.

My vote - get an E36 M3. Handles better than both of the above. Not that heavy and has adequate power. Seats 4 and you can use it as a grocery getter. Plus it's an M.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #26
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_DAN View Post
S60R's are super nice cars! Although I would think a little big for some track use..

You can also look into a 2000-2001 S4 like mine... there's a lot of nice ones out there, already with major upgrades for a very decent price...

A well sorted Stage III (~400awhp) car with Ohlins suspension and other goodies can be had for 20-25k, and although you might think it's a lot for an almost 10 y/o car, they are very potent cars on and off the track.

Just food for thought
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #27
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
Don't get a G35 for a track car. You'll be sorely disappointed because they feel like a boat.
Yepp... some thing just does feel right with these cars... And peak HP/TQ numbers don't mean anything. People just don't understand that.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #28
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I am highly considering a (last generation) S60R (or in my case of pref. Wagons) a V70R 6spd as my next all around car. AWD (great for all seasons), 300hp/300trq (stock) with a simple tune it is just under 400hp, can haul around everything, is comfortible AND you can get it with an orange sport interior. YUM. My only hatred for them is the shifter look, but that can always be worked around.

I LOVE driving my gf's 2nd gen Auto. Quick, the turbo sounds insane, and I am spanking half the cars on the road.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 10-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

I do like the idea of the volvo but isn't the S60R hard to come by? I do have the whole winter to scout for one. Though i'm kinda doubting the whole track/daily driver combo. I have a friend who does it and his problem is that after a tracking weekend he ends up taking his Mom's car to work. It takes a real good car to handle track beating and then the next day with no problem takes a 1hr commute to work. Also if you know you have to take it to work the next day you drive the car carefull on the track it kinda takes the fun out of it LOL
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Since someone mentioned EVO on here i quickly checked online prices, specs etc. Looks not bad, but i have the feeling there is a catch, I can imagine parts hard to come by. Anyone any input?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: