Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
jmack
2nd Gear Member

need help troubleshooting engine issue

Hi folks,

I haven't posted in a while been very busy putting 13k on my 540i/6 M sport since April when I got it Other than the issue below the car has performed like a champ and nothing has gone terribly wrong (YET) let's see where this little issue leads...

Anyways I have noticed this issue from the start.. it only occurs under hard acceleration - and only if you have the pedal on the floor. The engine once it gets above 3-4k rpm with the pedal down loses power intermittently, in any gear but most noticeably in 2,3,4. I don't think it's tranny related as it engine basically bogs down. It doesn't make terrible noises or buck or anything like that. Yes the CEL is on but supposedly from the last time I pulled the codes it was related to build up in the EGR tube.

Any other time the engine runs fine.. I suppose I would need to get the codes pulled to see if there is anything there. One guy suggested bad coils and plugs.. but I replaced the plugs soon after I got the car.

Any ideas? Did lots of searching on the net but couldn't find anything. I would really like to see someone confirm this issue before I start replacing things that don't need to be replaced. But it's a 540 so..

I am also moving up north where I can only use a 4x4 to get around so it will be parked for the winter... and spring it looks like. Once spring rolls around I will be doing more maintenance work but would like to get a handle on this engine issue.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
MANDD
Autobahn East

Get the current fault codes and post, also get the MASS air readings voltage and flow.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
chromius
6th Gear Member

^^Agreed. Get the fault codes and post back. A new one could have come up since the last time.

Off the top of my head though, Possibilities could be MAF or Vanos.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
carjoe
6th Gear Member

If it is the MAF, I got a quote for $200 shipped to my door from EACtuning...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
If it is the MAF, I got a quote for $200 shipped to my door from EACtuning...
How come you didn't go with getcoolparts?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I actually haven't ordered anything yet. BlownM3 might have one for me.

Speaking of Getcoolparts, I guess I gotta call to get it shipped? I couldn't pick Canada in the shipping checkout. I have a US address to take advantage of the free US shipping but it's still $40 to get it to me here... A wash if EAC can ship it to me for $200 all in.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
I actually haven't ordered anything yet. BlownM3 might have one for me.

Speaking of Getcoolparts, I guess I gotta call to get it shipped? I couldn't pick Canada in the shipping checkout. I have a US address to take advantage of the free US shipping but it's still $40 to get it to me here... A wash if EAC can ship it to me for $200 all in.
Yeah, you can just call them if you want to get it shipped directly. Their shipping is cheap to Canada. Or just ship it to the ups store in Ogdensburg. That will only cost 5 bucks, plus 10 bucks in gas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: