Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
manny127
1st Gear Newbie

335i Exhaust Issue

Hey, i have just picked up my 09 335i a few days ago and have a weird issue, and am unsure of whether this is a problem or normal. So just yesterday i had the car running in the rain, and i noticed that there was only smoke coming out of one exhaust. I got closer, put my hand up to it, and noticed that the left side exhaust was not blowing air at all. After a while however that exhaust started blowing air. I checked this again this morning, and noticed that once again only the left exhaust pipe was working. Correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that one muffler is dedicated to the first three cylinders, and the other pipe is dedicated to the other, straight from the engine, through the turbos, and to the tail of the car. ANy ideas of what is happening??
manny127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

...Not a problem at all!!

The driver side exhaust has a little flap that runs off an actuator that opens/closes at different RPMs and typically stays closed at idle to increase back pressure/let allow for the cats to heat up/etc...

I actually disconnected this flap (it always stays open now)... The mod is called "Golf Tee Mod" where you disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator and plug the hose with a golf tee (I'm not kidding) and cover the exposed inlet on the actuator with a vacuum cap ($0.62 at Part Source)

The actuator is located to the left of the driver side muffler... Lay down on the floor and look up, you can't miss it! Looks like a wastegate.

PIC:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7075/pic1f.jpg

This doesn't effect the car in an adverse way whatsoever and will not throw a code on the ECU (so the dealer will never know)... It WILL however give you a slight, sexy change in tone of your exhaust (a little bit deeper and meaner)

For 62 cents and for less than 5 mins of work, why the hell not!
And you can always reverse the change in a few seconds, too!

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob

Last edited by Stephanie; 07-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Oh... And how rude of me!

Congrats on the new car, you'll absolutely LOVE it!

e90post.com is also a great site if you need a hand with anything (mods, questions, etc.) ... Everyone is great on there!

Otherwise, let me know if you need a hand with anything!

- Steph

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob

Last edited by Stephanie; 07-02-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
manny127
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the help, and the tip. =) Ive only driven the car for a few days and i am already loving it. (Although i cant really push the car yet since i am still breaking in)
manny127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

^^ Anytime

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
ctgazer
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to ctgazer
wow steph..just full of info!

yea, and the golf tee mod is schweet. add some tips and everyone will be thinking you have an aftermarket exhaust
ctgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
whoami
2nd Gear Member

hmm,

time to do the golf tee mod
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
DINO K
Sauber F1 Team

electronic dump
DINO K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
darin911
1st Gear Newbie

golf tee MOD hehee
darin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

/insert your own joke here/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Otherwise, let me know if you need a hand with anything!

- Steph
Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
/insert your own joke here/

I walked right into that one... *sigh*

LOL... "that's what she said" moment? I think yes.

Tags
335i, coupe, e92, exhaust, muffler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: