Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
alpine86
2nd Gear Member

My HID and angel eyes fuse causing a problem.

Today I found my headlights and angel eyes aren't working suddenly.

But after few minutes of driving they are working fine again.

I stop my car and opened up the hood to check the harness.

I found my HID harness fuse went out. (30amp)

My question is,,, even the fuse went out does HID and angel eyes work properly?

I connected both angel eyes and HID into one harness and put 30 amp fuse.

Should I put high amp fuse?? What do you think causing my fuse went out?

Last edited by alpine86; 09-24-2009 at 02:41 AM.
alpine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Khoalty
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Khoalty
You should put them on separate harnesses. The angel eyes do not take much power but it is safer to run separate power sources for each one that way one or the other won't interfere each other.

If the fuse goes out, both angel eye and HID will not work. The reason why it wont work is bc the fuse is the link that makes the power continuous where if there is a break the power will not continuous and a missing link is the interference.

The can be a number of things that iwll make your fuse pop, it could be a bad ground to the connectors touching each other...just a few examples.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
alpine86
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoalty View Post
You should put them on separate harnesses. The angel eyes do not take much power but it is safer to run separate power sources for each one that way one or the other won't interfere each other.

If the fuse goes out, both angel eye and HID will not work. The reason why it wont work is bc the fuse is the link that makes the power continuous where if there is a break the power will not continuous and a missing link is the interference.

The can be a number of things that iwll make your fuse pop, it could be a bad ground to the connectors touching each other...just a few examples.
do you think it's a good idea if I put higher amp fuse where 30amp fuse was?

I replaced a fuse today for my hid and it's working fine now but my concern is if previous fuse was popped then this one will pop as well in near future??

Also I am using a same spot as a ground for HID and angel eyes.. should I use different ground for each unit?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
Khoalty
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Khoalty
Ground the wire to the acutal nut you see in the upper passenger corner. It could be that the HID kiit is taking up more juice than normal hence why the fuse popped as well. Your car probably didn't give enough juice to fire up the HIDs and then it wanted the extra power from the battery from the harness and it wasn't enough given so it popped. I wouldn't go over 30amps, I think that is the standard amps on the OEM HID setup.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
alpine86
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoalty View Post
Ground the wire to the acutal nut you see in the upper passenger corner. It could be that the HID kiit is taking up more juice than normal hence why the fuse popped as well. Your car probably didn't give enough juice to fire up the HIDs and then it wanted the extra power from the battery from the harness and it wasn't enough given so it popped. I wouldn't go over 30amps, I think that is the standard amps on the OEM HID setup.
currently I am using a 55W slip kit from DDM and I always set up my headlight to auto-headlight.

So you are saying that it's not a good idea to share a ground spot with HID and angel eyes together?

Also it's weird that my cluster clock slows 1-2 mins each day... do you think it's related as well?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Qube
5th Gear Member

Kudos for running a separate wiring harness with 55w. I'd put the angel eyes and HIDs on a different circuit though, even if just to isolate the problem.

Does it blow on startup or while it's running? Also are you running the older "fat" ballasts or the much newer digital slim 55w ballasts?

EDIT: If you're running the slims, then there's a problem. The initial startup can be handled with the 30a without issue. Last question... is the harness wired with one fuse, or (better) one for each side?

Qube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
alpine86
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Kudos for running a separate wiring harness with 55w. I'd put the angel eyes and HIDs on a different circuit though, even if just to isolate the problem.

Does it blow on startup or while it's running? Also are you running the older "fat" ballasts or the much newer digital slim 55w ballasts?

EDIT: If you're running the slims, then there's a problem. The initial startup can be handled with the 30a without issue. Last question... is the harness wired with one fuse, or (better) one for each side?
1. I think it blew while running because when I just start the car it was alright then HID + AE suddenly went off.

2. I am using a digital slim 55W ballast.

3. the harness is wired with one fuse. Not one for each side.

This is not my first time hearing stay away from a slim hid ballast...

and I know there are quite amount of people using them without a problem.

I'd like to know what's the story behind that statement.

Currently my 55W slim hid is causing me some problems but I'd like to know if it's real to stay away from the slim hid ballast.

Last edited by alpine86; 09-24-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Angel eyes use lots of power. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but AE's can actually use more power than HID's (Although 55w hids most likely do use more than the AE's)

Put them on seperate relays. If you need a relay, LMK. I wouldn't bump the voltage of the fuse, its asking for trouble.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Qube
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine86 View Post
1. I think it blew while running because when I just start the car it was alright then HID + AE suddenly went off.

2. I am using a digital slim 55W ballast.

3. the harness is wired with one fuse. Not one for each side.

This is not my first time hearing stay away from a slim hid ballast...

and I know there are quite amount of people using them without a problem.

I'd like to know what's the story behind that statement.

Currently my 55W slim hid is causing me some problems but I'd like to know if it's real to stay away from the slim hid ballast.

Heh. I didn't mean to say there was an issue with 55w slim digital ballasts. My gist was... if there's an issue of fuses blowing when using a slim digital ballast, there is a problem. The slims draw less startup amperage so the ballasts are either defective or the wiring job/materials would be suspect.

Qube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
alpine86
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Heh. I didn't mean to say there was an issue with 55w slim digital ballasts. My gist was... if there's an issue of fuses blowing when using a slim digital ballast, there is a problem. The slims draw less startup amperage so the ballasts are either defective or the wiring job/materials would be suspect.
oh +_+ I got your point...

Thanks for your explanation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: