Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
MGYVER
2nd Gear Member

Help with Current/battery drain !

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a 1988 325is. My battery died 2 months ago and it was replaced since it was very old. They tested the car and said the altenator was fine. After I got the new battery, a few weeks later the car sat in the underground parking (about 4 Celsius) for a week. When I went to start the car the battery was DEAD - I pulled the battery, but it wouldn't even charge - CAA came, tested the car, decided there was a drain somewhere and that the battery also needed to be replaced (free because of the warranty !)

My question - Does anyone know of a common problem causing a slow drain on the battery?? There were no interior or exterior lights left on, I don't have an alarm, and nothing plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Help !!
MGYVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Well, I am surprised after a weel that the battery died. I know if the car is going to be left for a couple of weeks, the car should be started a few times to keep the charge.

There is always the clock (Thats takes hardly any power), the only thing I can think of is an light was left on and you didn't realize it.....
hmmm??
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
Fernando
2nd Gear Member

battery drain?

To check battery drain you would need to hook up an ammeter to see how much current is flowing when the car is not running. You can get one pretty cheap from Radio Shack,etc.

Easiest way to hook it up is disconnect ground strap from car body and hook up ammeter between them, one side to car body, other side to cable. DO NOT START THE CAR, or you will melt the meter. Remove the trunk light so it wont be drawing current, or shut the trunk on the wires, (you have to be able to see the meter).

Now, you need to wait about 15 minutes for car to shut down, which it is supposed to do if undisturbed. If you open a door or anything, the 15 minutes starts all over again, (maybe car doesnt shut down, then that could be your problem.)

After this, the ammeter readings should be minimal. I dont know the exact number but if it's over 1 or 2 amps, there's a problem. Then you could try taking readings after removing fuses one at a time to see which circuit is causing the drain, again after the 15 min. wait. Or pull all the fuses and put them in one at a time. Time consuming I know.

Have alternator output checked also.
Cheers,

Fern
Old 03-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
JeorgeBaptista
2nd Gear Member

Herb,

Check your insturment cluster. If your check alternator/battery light is burn, then this would cause the circut to remain open thus causing a drain.
JeorgeBaptista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
maverick
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to maverick
I have a problem with my interior light sometimes for no reason it comes on. also the battery couldn't be recharged??? I think that maybe you just got a bad battery ive drained mine completely dead cause of my stereo at least 7-8 times and it always takes a charge again even though it is real bad for the battery.

PIMP'N AIN'T EASY
especially in a sunturd
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
qwk325
6th Gear Member

Re: battery drain?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando
To check battery drain you would need to hook up an ammeter to see how much current is flowing when the car is not running. You can get one pretty cheap from Radio Shack,etc.

Easiest way to hook it up is disconnect ground strap from car body and hook up ammeter between them, one side to car body, other side to cable. DO NOT START THE CAR, or you will melt the meter. Remove the trunk light so it wont be drawing current, or shut the trunk on the wires, (you have to be able to see the meter).

Now, you need to wait about 15 minutes for car to shut down, which it is supposed to do if undisturbed. If you open a door or anything, the 15 minutes starts all over again, (maybe car doesnt shut down, then that could be your problem.)

After this, the ammeter readings should be minimal. I dont know the exact number but if it's over 1 or 2 amps, there's a problem. Then you could try taking readings after removing fuses one at a time to see which circuit is causing the drain, again after the 15 min. wait. Or pull all the fuses and put them in one at a time. Time consuming I know.

Cheers,

Fern

very well put u should not exceed 0.03 miiliamps. this acceptable .

COME ON DOWN !!!!
qwk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
Fernandos right.

Check to see if your trunk light is on without you knowing it.

Pull down the ski bag armrest to look
Old 07-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #8
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Re: battery drain?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando

Cheers,

Fern
Do you know how many amps the car would use in the on position? Knowing this might allow for me (who is having this problem) not to wait 15min to pull a single fuse.

Since i have a drain on my battery it is impossible to get the original reading.

Other than that great advice and i will be using it today!
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: