Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
BigD
the misanthropist

Heads up to protein powder users

Costco has a sale on Kaizen, $8 off. That makes it like 32 bucks for 4.5 pounds of pure isolate, it's an amazing price. It could also indicate that Costco is looking to stop carrying it, so stock up.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

nice, i have a bucket of it already, stuffs ok.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
mirek
6th Gear Member

sorry, stupid quesiton, if i stop using protein powder, will i lose the muscle i gained?
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek View Post
sorry, stupid quesiton, if i stop using protein powder, will i lose the muscle i gained?
Not really. You just need to have enough protein in your diet to sustain your levels, which isn't nearly as much as what's needed to grow. Stopping resistance training will make you lose the muscle though.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Not really. You just need to have enough protein in your diet to sustain your levels, which isn't nearly as much as what's needed to grow. Stopping resistance training will make you lose the muscle though.
Cool, thanks for the heads up, going to pick up some tonight.

Someone needs to start up the body building thread again,
Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
mirek
6th Gear Member

Is there anything in protein powder that would keep my up at night? I'm a really light sleeper, and even an oreo before bed could keep me tossing and turning. Can I take a shake before bed?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

That thread is a cluster****. We need a fitness sub-forum, not a thread.

Quote:
Is there anything in protein powder that would keep my up at night? I'm a really light sleeper, and even an oreo before bed could keep me tossing and turning. Can I take a shake before bed?
Yeah it's the best thing to "eat" before sleep. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night, it's a good idea to go drink another.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Yeah it's the best thing to "eat" before sleep. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night, it's a good idea to go drink another.
sarcastic?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
sarcastic?
No sir. If you're referring to the night part, you're alive at night. If you wake up, use the chance to fuel your body.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
mirek
6th Gear Member

Quote:
No sir. If you're referring to the night part, you're alive at night. If you wake up, use the chance to fuel your body.

Interesting, thanks.
What's casein?

So i should take protein shake, pre and post workout, and in the middle of the night? is that the best time? I work out usually 430-6pm, 4x week,

Last edited by mirek; 09-16-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Interesting, thanks.
What's casein?

So i should take protein shake, pre and post workout, and in the middle of the night? is that the best time? I work out usually 430-6pm, 4x week,
Casein is just a diff type of protein. It's best known for slow release, but this is a bad thing. Whey Isolate is the fastest absorbing of them all, stick to that (well there's Hydrolysate but don't go there, it tastes like horror).

Try to take your protein at least 2 hours after the last meal and try to have no fat for another 30min, simple carbs are ok.

Don't worry about pre/post workout protein. A buddy of mine is a PhD in this and keeps me up to date with the latest research. He says that there is no evidence to support the merits of pre/post workout nutrition when it comes to protein. If anything, he said there is minor indication that it's better to wait an hour.

Try to get carbs into your system around workout time. There's no rule for this, some people do best eating them a few hours before the workout, others best after. Try different things and see what makes you feel best.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
mirek
6th Gear Member

Thanks!

I'm really surprised how good the vanilla one tastes, it's better than any whey i've had .

Last edited by mirek; 09-16-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

No problem.

At this point my taste buds automatically shut down during supplement intake, it all tastes like cardboard to me, even the awful stuff. But it's pure isolate, and for that the price is ridiculous (for reference, one of the cheapest online sources from the US, True Protein, has isolate for like 10-11US per pound, plus UPS shipping). I also like how it mixes. You don't have to first stir it up into a paste like the cheaper crap to avoid clumping - it mixes trivially in the full water volume.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
mirek
6th Gear Member

this one has absolutely no cardboard taste, tastes super sweet, maybe i put too little milk :|

going to give it a try, let's see if i can fit into my greenman costume by halloween..!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
328trackrat
2nd Gear Member

Big D / Others.. Buy magic bullet mini blender. Mixes protein easily and quickly. no clumps. Works especially well with milk.
328trackrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: