Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
daytona
6th Gear Member

Thin walls at some condo projects.

As some of you know Im moving into my new condo in about 1/2 a year,I been searching for some other condos as a investment also,this is one project I was going to buy last year but thank god I didnt..look at the so call "walls" of this project.Talk about "noise transmission batman"..geezzz and they were asking $500 a SqFt that time.I really hope this is not common among condo projects.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
W2WDETAILING
Banned

that building is more of a structural steel designed building. the condo i am working on is located 1km north of keel & major mack in maple ontario. sofar everything is concrete. the partition walls have yet to go in since they still have the jacks supporting the concrete untill it cures. i believe it may be block walls. there is no structural steel. like the pic you posted. im pretty sure that the alum framing is standard tho for most buildings.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
My parents bought an expensive condo @ Bayview and Sheppard a couple of years ago, and recently when we needed to add support beams in the showers (parents are 85 and need help), we were shocked to discover that the walls between units and into the hall, only consisted of 2 pieces of 5/8" drywall...... No concrete between units or the halls...... Un****ing believable!!! Cheapest construction I've ever seen!!! Even used Laminate instead of hardwood!! for main living room!!!
nachos23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
My parents bought an expensive condo @ Bayview and Sheppard a couple of years ago, and recently when we needed to add support beams in the showers (parents are 85 and need help), we were shocked to discover that the walls between units and into the hall, only consisted of 2 pieces of 5/8" drywall...... No concrete between units or the halls...... Un****ing believable!!! Cheapest construction I've ever seen!!! Even used Laminate instead of hardwood!! for main living room!!!

I seen some so call "luxury" condos and its was cheap as can be,it really seems the smaller builders are cutting corners to survive these days.Here is a photo my condo being formed..I call it the "bunker" since its made to survive a atomic blast.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Which one? You mean the brand new one right on North east corner right above subway entrance?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Just remember regardless of how they decide to build it the walls MUST meet certain noise transmission requirements. Sometimes just because it may look thin it doesn't mean it won't perform. This is the design most of the builders I see going with because it cuts down cost a lot, not that I agree with it.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
Just remember regardless of how they decide to build it the walls MUST meet certain noise transmission requirements. Sometimes just because it may look thin it doesn't mean it won't perform. This is the design most of the builders I see going with because it cuts down cost a lot, not that I agree with it.
yup exactly what I was told also but still as a buyer its not that great when you realize you walls are hollow with sound insulation.I been into some units where you can actually hear the sound of a TV at mid level.Thats why sometimes it not that great to buy at pre construction but rather wait until the framing starts to see the inner build of the project.Anyways avoid this project at all cost.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
yup exactly what I was told also but still as a buyer its not that great when you realize you walls are hollow with sound insulation.I been into some units where you can actually hear the sound of a TV at mid level.Thats why sometimes it not that great to buy at pre construction but rather wait until the framing starts to see the inner build of the project.Anyways avoid this project at all cost.
Soldo is correct. if you can hear the sound of TV at mid level it was obviously not done to code but if you're passing judgement of a building still during construction then that is pretty dumb imo.. Remember a stud wall separating units is not a bad thing. (Usually 6" studs filled with acoustical batt, not the ones u use in - suite walls) Smaller condo buildings or new loft construction (ie 5 storeys) don't need shear walls at every unit, they can get away with column-slab/post-beam construction and as long as you use STC drywall (2 layers offest) on both sides and seal all the utility openings properly (this would be my biggest concern BTW)

i worked as a building inspector for condos.. everyone in my company knew the pecking order of developers and which to stay away from at all costs

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 09-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post

.. everyone in my company knew the pecking order of developers and which to stay away from at all costs
care to share?

if you don't wanna be public about it PM would be greatly appreciated!
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Understated View Post
care to share?

if you don't wanna be public about it PM would be greatly appreciated!
i worked there last year so i dont really remember. I know cityplace project at spadina is the worst for this, those buildings are rushed and have lots of deficiencies and take forever to clear... I can ask my coworkers and let u know

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

condo's are a rip! no matter which builder you go to, You guys have to realize if the building was to make rooms sound proof the cost would skyrocket! normally interior walls are 220mm thick, with a single layer of half inch drywall, while the walls to the hallways are a dinky double layer of fire rated 5/8" drywall with insolation to keep temp/sound change minimal. I feel bad for those living meside a staircase or elevator because you will always hear the doors open and close! ive even been in some where youll hear the toilet in the next room flush!

Ive done a few condo's i could see myself living in, but recently I havent done any worth half the money their asking!

Jay
Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
i worked there last year so i dont really remember. I know cityplace project at spadina is the worst for this, those buildings are rushed and have lots of deficiencies and take forever to clear... I can ask my coworkers and let u know
Cheers man....you have pm
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
When u need to install support beams inside bathrooms/showers u need to tell the builder when you buy it so they can add the wood blocking inbetween the paper thin metal studs. or else your screweing into nothing but drywall lol

You guys should honestly see the work that goes into these condo's many times guys are to lazy to go find a bathroom, so theyll piss into water bottles and throw it inbetween the concrete walls and studs, and then the drywall goes over it, its nasty!

Jay
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post
When u need to install support beams inside bathrooms/showers u need to tell the builder when you buy it so they can add the wood blocking inbetween the paper thin metal studs. or else your screweing into nothing but drywall lol

You guys should honestly see the work that goes into these condo's many times guys are to lazy to go find a bathroom, so theyll piss into water bottles and throw it inbetween the concrete walls and studs, and then the drywall goes over it, its nasty!

Jay
very true.

on our site there has been someone pissing in the underground parking garage. im actually glad im going to be leaving the site and the company in a few weeks. way too much bullshit. my dad quit friday and his lead hand/pusher was fired thursday. gilbert steel here i come

Last edited by W2WDETAILING; 09-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
W2WDETAILING
Banned

how about this back in febuary they formed a coloum and let it sit for a week it snowed ice built up ect the then went to go pour it but before doing so they dumped salt into the formed coloum the then poured the concrete. as any normal person would know salt eats steel the bottom foot and a half of the concrete was like hard playdough it just crumbled. the steel had some very extensive rust going on it sit like this for about 3months then it was patched up with i believe its called parge mix. this is reason number 20923450324023 of why not to buy a condo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4238_85721841061_517011061_2506915_8167474_n.jpg (79.0 KB, 168 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: