Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Magnaflow on a e36 318is

My car needs a new muffler. I was thinking of a magnaflow. Anybody have an idea of how this will sound on a 318is? I'm looking for a bit more sound than stock but nothing toooo loud, and definitely NOT rice like due to the 4 banger.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30drifter View Post
My car needs a new muffler. I was thinking of a magnaflow. Anybody have an idea of how this will sound on a 318is? I'm looking for a bit more sound than stock but nothing toooo loud, and definitely NOT rice like due to the 4 banger.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
bump im also in the same boat i was thinking of magnaflow due to its price sny imput guys
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Ihavenocar
2nd Gear Member

me too i actually know which magnaflow part i want i just dont know where to order it from
Ihavenocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
prince1
on to the next 1

Send a message via MSN to prince1
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
bump im also in the same boat i was thinking of magnaflow due to its price sny imput guys
you've heard my car rite, its got a magnaflow exhaust + cat with 2.5 inch piping through out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Yo man, I got $6000 in my bank account, and I could buy any car i want
Ya man with $6000 in the bank, you're really balling arnt ya
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince1 View Post
you've heard my car rite, its got a magnaflow exhaust + cat with 2.5 inch piping through out
Nope, can't hear a thing lol. So hows it sound? Good? Loud? Kinda loud?
Deep? Not deep enough? Like a honda with a loose exhaust? What?
The guy at the shop told me that it won't be to loud but will sound deep?
Which is good. But I can't see that comming from a 4 cylinder.
Your magnaflow is on a 318?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
prince1
on to the next 1

Send a message via MSN to prince1
Quote:
Nope, can't hear a thing lol. So hows it sound? Good? Loud? Kinda loud?
Deep? Not deep enough? Like a honda with a loose exhaust? What?
Ya zacks heard it on mine, its a 318, sounds deep but is a tad bit loud, have been pulled over and sets off car alarms on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Yo man, I got $6000 in my bank account, and I could buy any car i want
Ya man with $6000 in the bank, you're really balling arnt ya
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Ihavenocar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Ya zacks heard it on mine, its a 318, sounds deep but is a tad bit loud, have been pulled over and sets off car alarms on a regular basis.
where did you get it ? im currently looking for a magnaflow exhaust , approx how much am i looking at spending here ? thanks
Ihavenocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
You'd like mine but it's not a Magnoflow though (Stromung).
Deep at idel and below 1500 rpm. then is quieter then stock as the rpms rise up. (Can up load an old vidieo of it's sound if you like later when I'm home).
I never liked the sound on any cars I'v heard with Magnoflows them on. Sounds nice at idel but get's all "Ricy" up high in the RPM's IMO.
Since price seems to be your main concern I think the turbo what ever you find at crappy tire sounds alright for the price.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Ya please do. Upload a clip, Just for curiosity. I already got an exhaust put on. Its not a magnaflow, can't remember, I think its called flow tech or something. I ****EN hate it!
Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice, deep and not ricy at all (surprisingly on a 318) but its toooo loud, at least from the inside. I find it really annoying. I don't know how loud it is from the outside. And worst part of all, I paid $100 more for this one than i would have for the magnaflow! That's my fault anyway. The guy at the magnaflow shop would have had to order the muffler for me, and then there was no backing out. I started having second thoughts on the magnaflow being to loud. So I went to another muffler shop that had a couple of mufflers in stock, and test fitted a few for sound. I figured this way I wouldn't be stuck with just the one option. After test fitting a couple of mufflers, they all sounded good, I picked the most quietest one. And after installation, well the exhaust flow from driving really put the volume on...FULL BLAST!
I should have known this would have happened. I should have just ordered the magnaflow, at least it would have been cheaper. I ended up with a loud exhaust anyway
and paid more for it. If any of you 318 owners want a LOUD exhaust for your car but are to worried about it sounding ricy, well then get this one! Its definitely NOT ricy.
...I guess there's no way to tone it down?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
i actually dont think ive heard it when i was detailing the engine in your buddys shop the car was off the whole time. never heard it
Old 08-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Ya please do. Upload a clip, Just for curiosity. I already got an exhaust put on. Its not a magnaflow, can't remember, I think its called flow tech or something. I ****EN hate it!
Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice, deep and not ricy at all (surprisingly on a 318) but its toooo loud, at least from the inside. I find it really annoying. I don't know how loud it is from the outside. And worst part of all, I paid $100 more for this one than i would have for the magnaflow! That's my fault anyway. The guy at the magnaflow shop would have had to order the muffler for me, and then there was no backing out. I started having second thoughts on the magnaflow being to loud. So I went to another muffler shop that had a couple of mufflers in stock, and test fitted a few for sound. I figured this way I wouldn't be stuck with just the one option. After test fitting a couple of mufflers, they all sounded good, I picked the most quietest one. And after installation, well the exhaust flow from driving really put the volume on...FULL BLAST!
I should have known this would have happened. I should have just ordered the magnaflow, at least it would have been cheaper. I ended up with a loud exhaust anyway
and paid more for it. If any of you 318 owners want a LOUD exhaust for your car but are to worried about it sounding ricy, well then get this one! Its definitely NOT ricy.
...I guess there's no way to tone it down?
if you end up going for another muffler i would be interested in buying yours off you keep that in mind
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
if you end up going for another muffler i would be interested in buying yours off you keep that in mind
That sounds like a good idea. We could meet up and I'll take you for a ride
so you can hear my exhaust. Let me know cause I gotta get rid of this thing.
If deeeeep is what you want, than that's exactly what you'll get.
Oh and I got buddy to through on the DTM style tips on the muffler. But you can always put on a different style if you like.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: