Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #46
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
good work, hold on to er. when you say shadowline, what parts did you get?
I got the trim that goes on the side (middle) of the doors. I keep refering to it as shadowline but I'm not sure that's correct.

It's tough with time and the little one, wife, and with working full time and school it takes up my 'car' time.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #47
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Did you POR the inside of the patch as well? I've also been patching this summerl... let's just say my task was a little bit more extensive than yours! I think it will be fine.

Another thing I recommended is using a black seam sealer on the inside of the patches over top the POR.

After not being able to find a driver side rocker panel I 'simply' made due with cutting out the bad spots and fabricating all new patches. It took about 18 - 20 hours over 2 weeks but it's nearly done. I'm pretty proud of how well it's turned out, I'll have to take some pics shortly.
Ya I've restored two mini's before with about 60hrs worth of welding on each. I love the cutting and welding and having to work things out. If you approach it systimatically and don't make things too complicated it's extremely enjoyable especially when you have a finished product to be proud of.

I generally do the following: Weld in New Metal>Clean Welds>POR15>Seam Seal>Prime>Paint, but it all depends on the patch and panel being replaced.

I've stripped about half of the felt off of the boot floor and will sand it down and paint soon also. I also noticed a bit of rust around the edge of the hatch under where the seal clips on that will be cleaned up and painted.

I was thinking of just painting the whole car but I really like cars that look like they've been used.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #48
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

I did the right hand rocker and front jack point last summer. This summer was a few spots in the trunk floor and the left rocker/front jack point. Next spring I think I'll go over the whole thing and re-check everything. This winter could be the last one for the old girl if I have my way.

On under areas if you POR the metal as a primer, then seam seal all the seams and welded areas, then finally spray the best quality hi-build rocker guard, you'll end up with something that can go all winter and not have any issues. All the work I did last summer is totally rust free, it's night and day to any previous work I've ever done.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #49
lost
2nd Gear Member

Worked on the car a bit last night when I should of been studying.

Rear bumper is on, sanded and painted black, final sanding tonight and then last coat of black and the bumper is done.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
Did you POR the inside of the patch as well? I've also been patching this summerl... let's just say my task was a little bit more extensive than yours! I think it will be fine.

Another thing I recommended is using a black seam sealer on the inside of the patches over top the POR.

After not being able to find a driver side rocker panel I 'simply' made due with cutting out the bad spots and fabricating all new patches. It took about 18 - 20 hours over 2 weeks but it's nearly done. I'm pretty proud of how well it's turned out, I'll have to take some pics shortly.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-318...els/ES2190275/

jeff
411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #51
lost
2nd Gear Member

Also have this to install. Been sitting on a shelf in my garage for a year now.

Is it a simple install? Haven't done much looking to see what's involved yet.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #52
lost
2nd Gear Member

Took the touring out of the garage yesterday just to start it up and move it. Also wanted to get some pics of it outside with the black bumpers.

Everytime I look at this car I can't get over how hot it is.

I haven't put the bumper trim on as I'm shaving the side turn signal cut outs, so it will be as the euros are.

Before I hosed it down:

Hosed down:

Next I'm going to tackle my sagging and gross headliner and finish cleaning the felt off of the boot floor.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #53
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
what plans do you have for the roof liner? getting mine out was a huge bitch, you have to be very careful. I was able to get it out without removing the rear windows, but not sure about getting it back in. I plan on replacing the liner with some micro-suede-ish material when i have the space.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #54
Banned

Coming along quite nicely.....still can't understand why nobodys grabed it yet??

Inside "tip" http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-Dachh...item35b481295f

If I was closer I'd offer you my polaris ranger/ for the wagon& the quad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polaris 0022.jpg (54.3 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by 411; 09-19-2011 at 11:47 AM.
411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #55
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
Coming along quite nicely.....still can't understand why nobodys grabed it yet??

Inside "tip" http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-Dachh...item35b481295f

If I was closer I'd offer you my polaris ranger/ for the wagon& the quad
Ya I was looking at getting a Ranger but the quad offered me more utility for what I needed it for. I could of picked up an 08 over the boarder for about the same the quad cost. Nice machines!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #56
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
what plans do you have for the roof liner? getting mine out was a huge bitch, you have to be very careful. I was able to get it out without removing the rear windows, but not sure about getting it back in. I plan on replacing the liner with some micro-suede-ish material when i have the space.
I haven't come up with a game plan yet. It has no tears or anything so I as debating just applying some 3M spray adhesive and rolling it out to fix it and then fabric painting it in the car, which would probably be the easiest route, however I'm not too sure if I'll be happy with this.

I've had a look and it seems that all of the seals around the openings will have to come off along with the cover pieces between the doors, etc. Not sure I want to do that.

Did you have to remove your front windsheild?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #57
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
I didnt have to remove windshield or any windows, but yes all the trim on the pillars have to be removed, which isnt a terrible job if you keep track of all the fasteners well.

My headliner has a few stains in it and the entire thing from behind the front seats back was sagging. I've seen a few tutorials on recovering headliners and have a friend that has done a few so I will take my time in prep to make sure it goes well.

A problem you might run into with the spray on and roll route could be problems with excess material when you get to the edges. You might find the liner has stretched overall and you could be fighting wrinkles.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #58
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I didnt have to remove windshield or any windows, but yes all the trim on the pillars have to be removed, which isnt a terrible job if you keep track of all the fasteners well.

My headliner has a few stains in it and the entire thing from behind the front seats back was sagging. I've seen a few tutorials on recovering headliners and have a friend that has done a few so I will take my time in prep to make sure it goes well.

A problem you might run into with the spray on and roll route could be problems with excess material when you get to the edges. You might find the liner has stretched overall and you could be fighting wrinkles.
Thanks for the info, I have all of the rear interior out already, and I want to pull the dash to figure out why the heater isn't working, so I minus well just pull it.

Let me know how you're goes, and what type of fabric you go with.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
lost
2nd Gear Member

It's back on the road.. yeeha

Wasn't charging so I've bulled the alternator to get it tested along with another tomorrow. Hoping one of them is good and I should be good to go.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
e30tOny
k-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
It's back on the road.. yeeha

Wasn't charging so I've bulled the alternator to get it tested along with another tomorrow. Hoping one of them is good and I should be good to go.
*updated pics please

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: