Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

QUESTION FOR TOURING OWNERS??: How does the cover that has the barriers for the boot come off?? it has the one that's mesh and goes to the roof and the other covers the cargo area. I'm not sure how to get it out.[/quote]

I took mine off about 2 years ago ... there's a trick to it BUT I can't remember!! ...My car's still in the body shop so I don't have it for reference. I'll check the cover assembly in my basement tonight to see if it will jog my memory.

lgb240
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

Got a call from my wife saying that two deliveries came for me, which I think are my AKG bushings for the rear subframe and trailing arms and my silicone vaccum lines.[/quote]

I put the same AKG bushings on my Touring at the beginning of the summer - I cant stresss tis enough - coat the sh!t out of them with bearing grease before you install. The squeek like crazy .....

Transforms the car handling wise, although I'm comparing them to original warn rubber bits

lgb240
Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #18
lost
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb240 View Post
Got a call from my wife saying that two deliveries came for me, which I think are my AKG bushings for the rear subframe and trailing arms and my silicone vaccum lines.
I put the same AKG bushings on my Touring at the beginning of the summer - I cant stresss tis enough - coat the sh!t out of them with bearing grease before you install. The squeek like crazy .....

Transforms the car handling wise, although I'm comparing them to original warn rubber bits

lgb240[/quote]

Ya I've been reading that you have to be generous with the grease. I've seen a few specific kinds mentioned for poly bushes that work well

I fiddled with the cargo cover for a good 30mins last night trying to get it out. There has to be a logical method to removal as I can't remove the top bolts for the dampers until I can remove the panels.

Wife just called again to tell me that two more packages just came!!
- Silicone vaccum lines
- New OEM rear top damper mounts with reinforcement plates
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I didn't post this earlier,

The pic attached is the end of the cover assembly for the rear cargo area - it would be the passenger side, cover rolls out on the left side of the pic, net to the top. If I remeber correctly (which I don't) you don't need any tools - the cover is designed to be able to come on and off easily. I beleive that it just rolled / clicked into place.

I wish I had my car here!!!! Check the attachment points in the car and see if this makes sense. sorry for the shitty cell phone pic

lgb240
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boot cover.jpg (149.2 KB, 223 views)
Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
lost
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the pic. Really need to see the other side!!

I went out last night after seeing the pic and though "oh sweet it must just rotate out" lol. I tried doing it softly, then with some preasure, then shaking it, then pushing it... nothing.

I'm about to cut it out, but I like it and don't really want to ruin it
Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

DON'T CUT IT

apparently these things are worth their weight in gold.

other side looks just like this side.

feel a little useless without the car to check things ... I'm actually driving by the body shop this afternoon

try posting on RV3 or e30tech - someone overseas should be able to pipe up an answer
Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
lost
2nd Gear Member

GOT IT!!! WOOOHOOOO

My parents are down so my dad held the light and I could see a slit in the holder/mount so after wiggling around I thought that maybe there is a spring in there, so I kneeled in the middle and pushed down and it rotated forward right out!!!!!

So push down and rotate forward!!!!!!

Good news too my rear top damper bushings are brand new. I bought a set to replace them, but looks like I wont have to, I'll just put the strengthening plates on.

Bad part is the nut closest to the front is under the rear frame for the body side, so it's barely accessible.

Thanks for the pic lgb it helped!!! Saw your other post and hope you get your ride back on the road soon!!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

Hey lost, glad you got the cover off.

Keep posting your progress....

lgb240
Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #24
davericher20
black and blue

sweet! I can't wait to try it. good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
lost
2nd Gear Member

Thought I'd clarify a bit:

Kneeling on the rear seats facing the back of the car. Push down and rotate foroward (which would be toward the rear of the car).

Didn't get much done on the car this weekend as my parents were down but I did buy a telescopic oil catch from Princess Auto for use with my lift, so I can do my own oil changes easily.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #26
davericher20
black and blue

It works!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch man, came right off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
lost
2nd Gear Member

Update:

Spent about 1.5hrs tonight in the garage working on the the touring.

Got the rear bolts of the top of the dampers, springs out, wheels off, also removed the rear washer fluid bottle as my hatch is shaved and it's pointless because of this. have the whole interior out of the back.

I just have to remove my e-brake cables but was reading online that I have to re-move the rear brakes to do so? Tried to, but the bolts were very tight so I put some penetrating oil on them and will give it a crack tomorrow, so hopefully by this weekend the rear subframe will be dropped and cleaned up ready for paint.

I have a problem as the more I dig into things the more little things bug me which I then want to fix or change... so who knows what's next.

I'm also in the process of removing the felt from the floor of the boot as it looks like a water trap.

It's amazing how much more room there is in the boot with no panels also!! it's huge back there!!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
lost
2nd Gear Member

Update:

Got the rear subframe dropped today. Tapped the old mounts with a 5/8" tap and then treaded in a bolt and a few hits with a hammer on a section of pipe from inside the car through the hole and it popped lose. Once I had the bolt in it took about 5 mins till it was off.

Also had a few small rust spots around the spring mount on the RL so I cleaned them up, re-under coated the wheel well and ready to do the other side.

All the air lines are still there for the factory air suspension.... I think I'm going to order some bags in the next few weeks..

Gonna take some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
lost
2nd Gear Member

Update:

Got my old subframe bushings out yesterday. Picked up a small 12ton press from princess auto and it made the job easy.

Gonna strip the paint, prime and repaint the subframe this weekend, change the bushings along with trailing arm bushings and back up onto the car it goes. I'm debating if I should just make due with the rear springs or put bags in the back.. ones free and one will be about 400 bucks. I'm leaning towards the springs at the moment..

Good news is I found my old camera so i'm gonna keep it in the garage for pics.
Bad news is that too much cursing on this forum and profanity by some people in a few posts in the general forum so my work blocked the site, so i can only come on at home.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #30
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Here's some info about my car from decoding the VIN:

Type code AG51
Type 325I (EUR)
Dev. series E30 (5) Line 3
Body type TOUR
Steering LL