Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
So who here got in shit for buying your BMW ?



Just like the topic states...just to fill u guys in, I'm 25, live on my own, got a good job, and don't need my parents help for anything...
I originally wanted to buy a 2001 540i (6spd) but decided to buy a 2005 330i (auto) so this way my girlfriend can drive it as well, considering I won't use this car for work.
So I brought it over to my parents for the first time two weeks ago and got in shit for buying and spending money on a car. I owned cars before but once my parents looked at it, they just flipped out. WTF ??? still not sure what the whole fuss is about.... still didn't give me a reason why they flipped out.

Only my sister and my girlfriend were happy for me.... who else went through the same crap as I did ?

Don't you just Love Polish parents....

Last edited by Dan Bro; 08-25-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,240
Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would shoot myself in the foot if I bought chick's car (E46) auto over 540i stick just so that a women can drive it.

Women will never be a boss on my house no matter what.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member
 
328IScreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: chatham ontario
Posts: 1,682
I like the 330 but should have went with stick!
who cares what your parents think dude your 25. I think my parents learned when I was still at a real young age to just let me do what i'm going to do because i'll do it regardless. With regards to cars at least. It's my only passion in life, same with a lot of other people so if your going to spend money on something you love who are they to tell you otherwise?
__________________
328IScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Dado 540
6th Gear Member
 
Dado 540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,978
Buddy you parents know what they are talking about, and you will soon too.

And if you are already dippping your arms to your elbows might as well gone with the 540. But the gf situation is understandable. Having her rip the gear box apart is just not worth it.
__________________
E39 540i Sport
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
I like the 330 but should have went with stick!
who cares what your parents think dude your 25. I think my parents learned when I was still at a real young age to just let me do what i'm going to do because i'll do it regardless. With regards to cars at least. It's my only passion in life, same with a lot of other people so if your going to spend money on something you love who are they to tell you otherwise?
I'm planning to keep the car, just didn't understood why they flipped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
I would shoot myself in the foot if I bought chick's car (E46) auto over 540i stick just so that a women can drive it.

Women will never be a boss on my house no matter what.


To be honest with the previous max member, I was planning to buy a 540i, but I changed my mind just because I got a better deal on this one... and I won't lie, I'm still planning to buy a 5 series. But not until next year, so I can save some money and instead of buying a "wannabe" I'll buy myself a real M5.
My girl doesn't care what she drives but I do want her to be safe so that's why I decided to go with the auto e46.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Nick_V
6th Gear Member
 
Nick_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,307
my gf gets mad that I KEEP buying BMWs. and 3.5K sets of wheels to put on them. I know where your parents are coming from, especially if you don't own a house yet. Cars are not investments - might as well flush your money down the shitter or roll blunts with it. But you're only young once and you can't take your money with you when you go...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
europrince
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North York
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bro View Post
Just like the topic states...just to fill u guys in, I'm 25, live on my own, got a good job, and don't need my parents help for anything...
I originally wanted to buy a 2001 540i (6spd) but decided to buy a 2005 330i (auto) so this way my girlfriend can drive it as well, considering I won't use this car for work.
So I brought it over to my parents for the first time two weeks ago and got in shit for buying and spending money on a car. I owned cars before but once my parents looked at it, they just flipped out. WTF ??? still not sure what the whole fuss is about.... still didn't give me a reason why they flipped out.

Only my sister and my girlfriend were happy for me.... who else went through the same crap as I did ?

Got love Polish parents....
Dude, your parents want you to save money for a house, not spend money on a depreciating asset to play the part Good for your parents
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
my gf gets mad that I KEEP buying BMWs. and 3.5K sets of wheels to put on them. I know where your parents are coming from, especially if you don't own a house yet. Cars are not investments - might as well flush your money down the shitter or roll blunts with it. But you're only young once and you can't take your money with you when you go...
I should have mentioned this before I owned my own townhome since 2005 and just sold it in June and closing on the August 31st (next week). With the money I made from my townhouse, I'm planning to purchase another townhouse in Mississauga and rent it out and buy myself a condo in Oakville.
Although for the time being I need to move back to my parents for few weeks.

My 330 is fully paid off and I used the money from my savings.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
I'm sorry if I sound like a show off and just telling everybody my business. I hate being one of those guys telling people "what I have". I really hope I didn't come off like that... just really aggravating to know, no matter how hard I try to show my parents I'm doing well, or how much I have accomplished. I always get treated like a god damn "drop out".

Sorry, I feel like I just needed to just air that out... I swear European parents will send their kids straight to therapy

Last edited by Dan Bro; 08-25-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,240
Send a message via MSN to lvan
If You got a deal on E46, I could understand. Also at age 25, the girlfriends should step up and get their own cars.
I am not saying this is you, but I can not stand chicks that I have to drive around and keep babaysitting.
As for buying as an investment opportunity. Good idea ,but many people get burned as well. They get stuck when tenant bails out on them ,and get in trouble. Than they can not wait for market to get better to get it off their back.

Also paying off the car is nice and good idea. I don't think you are showing off. That is good practice of dealing with money.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter
 
ProStreetDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 816
Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
my parents didn't care. actually funny thing, my mom found the car for me and she is Polish... my parents where really happy when i bought the car and they really like the car too.


but my co-workers and some of my friends on the other hand. most of them keep giving me a hard time about it because i drive a BMW. i usually get comments such as:

-imports/BMW's are a pos
-grandpa vehicle
-i probably spend way too much money on the car
-still fixing it
-my car is faster
-people will treat me really good when i first meet them, then when they find out what i drive, i'm automatically an asshole
-why didn't i support the domestic companies
-i'm putting people out of jobs
-people even threaten my car (slash my tires, crush it with there suv, shit on it, etc)

i don't understand why people make such a big deal about something. its just a car, not to mention its over 15 years old and has over 300kms on it...

the way i look at it, i drive it because i like it, i don't care what everyone else thinks (it just gets really annoying sometimes). the car makes me happy and thats all that matter to me.
__________________
1997 BMW 540i/6 sport
1984 BMW 733i E23: Centra staggered 16" rims, Hartge strut brace, Hartge engine
1994 BMW 740i E32: Sold
ProStreetDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
daytona
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,715
Cars are never a investment,its for enjoyment only and "status".When I bought my car people would always say "I will never spend that much on a car" but they dont seem to realize that most german cars cost less than mid luxury Japanese or domestic cars but you will never hear they say that about those cars.Its a completely different view if your struggling to survive and buy a nice whatever,but if you cannot afford it without a strain on your bottom line why not spurge?
__________________
.Never banned but came very close..three times
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
Dan Bro
3rd Gear Member
 
Dan Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakville
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post
my parents didn't care. actually funny thing, my mom found the car for me and she is Polish... my parents where really happy when i bought the car and they really like the car too.
Wish my parents came to the whole thing like that... I was told I'm not going anywhere and that I'm wasting my money.

Quote:
I am not saying this is you, but I can not stand chicks that I have to drive around and keep babaysitting.
See my girl has her own car, but its a 1994 Mazda and to be quite honest with you, its a pos. She drives it and shes happy she gets from point A to B, dry and in one piece.
Dan Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
dannyb
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gatineau Qc
Posts: 635
my mom was mad but thats probably because i ripped the car apart in her garage kicking her out of it at the same time.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
From your posts, I think your parent was pissed off for you have used the profit from the sale of your townhouse into the car.. maybe you didnt let them in on your plan to purchase another townhouse.

Cars, unless it is a collectable classic is just transportation, no matter any car you look at buying today, is expensive.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015