Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
nos_fx
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike125k
i dont like listening to all the crap about how jap cars are so easily tuneable though. a cold air intake is not that big of a mod as far as im concerned, you pick up what, 3hp, big deal. nothing can beat a chevy smallblock or 5.0 ford when it comes to an infinate aftermarket filled with parts that really will add serious horsepower without having to slap on a turbo or nitrious.
No replacement for displacement...right? Well um no, see you could take a 3.0 250hp engine de-bore it to 2.9 add a turbo and get like 400hp out of the same engine.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #17
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Jap=Crap as far as i am concerned. i dont like them, and never would buy them.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:12 PM   #18
sonny
6th Gear Member

good call
Old 03-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #19
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW4Life
good call
someone's not getting an intake..lol jk man

terry, explain why u think jap = crap

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #20
sonny
6th Gear Member

hey Jon, there are plenty of other people who can help me with it lol.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #21
nos_fx
2nd Gear Member

Why don't poeple explain there posts, like why jap=crap. I explained my thoughts on jap cars, why can't people do the same?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #22
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by nos_fx
Why don't poeple explain there posts, like why jap=crap. I explained my thoughts on jap cars, why can't people do the same?
well when you think about it..his car IS named bavarski..lol

jk terry

i jus want to add, why do people judge jap cars, when they mainly see civic's and integras down here in canada? NO ONE here has EVER driven an evo 7 lancer, or any skyline, or silvia. They think jap cars are just riced out honda's....go to japan and see the style of car's, only in america theres rice...in japan its just simple c/f lip spoilers, and stuff....thats for the real tuners!

jap cars arent real performers? take a look at this....this car WAS in the low 13s..our very own empowerd's beater.......not a beater IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn6579-1.jpg (76.7 KB, 65 views)

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #23
nos_fx
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
go to japan and see the style of car's, only in america theres rice...in japan its just simple c/f lip spoilers, and stuff....thats for the real tuners!
Exactly!!! If you look at good japanese tuners, and look at good European tuners, the stuff they are doing is the same. And the hp results are very much the same!!! Look at JUN and RUF, two of the best tunners IMO, 800hp SR20DET engines from JUN, 800hp Porsche Turbos from RUF, see what I mean?
Old 03-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #24
mkgino
6th Gear Member

hahaha, E46 Lover, this one is for you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtec.jpg (14.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-12-2003, 06:04 PM   #25
Foc us
4th Gear Member

nos_fx, then you must know the "tec" technology was originated F1, first used in BMW then Honduh slapped a pretty name onto it and start advertising for it right. Turbo was designed by Lotus, rotary engine was from Mercedes Benz etc etc....What Jap companies does was copy their design and advertise it. Plus Jap cars' chassis is really weak comparing to Euro cars or even North American automobiles. Why do we want to start a project car on a weak base anyways. And don't forget....around a year ago in SCC magazine, they've shipped a 1000hp skyline to autobahn and did a time trial, the result was.....a stock 911 turbo can still out perform it, so you might as well as learn a new term called TORQUE.....
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #26
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I see everyone's point...but i think we're missing some things. First off, it's hard to focus on the issue at hand... we're discussing the quality of Japaneese cars over the rest of the world, not the stereotype of punks laying back in their seats cruising up the street bouncing like an idiot on chopped springs.

If you look at the actual products... Their cars are really quite good. I've never seen a Domestic car last as long as Jap cars without having problems (on average). Reliability is a BIG issue where they are worlds ahead. Also, when you drive down a road in your Chevy Malibu, what do you feel? NOTHING! it's a big sofa on wheels... the steering is vague as shit... you couldn't even feel a tire blowout FeR-kRiEs-SeAkS! I don't know about you, but i enjoy feeling the steering input from the road surface, and having brakes that actually grab when i hit the pedal, not half-way to the floor!

That was a simple comparison between Domestic & Jap.... now European cars are (IMO) a totally different ballgame. The only thing that scares me about Jap cars is their obvious weakness in crash standards. That's what makes them so bloody fast... their (lack of) weight. I sit in both cars and with my Civic, i swear the rain drops are going to peirce the metal in the roof! When I open my window on the highway, the entire roof pops out.... makes the loudest noise, then implodes once the window is rolled up. How safe does that make me? LOL!

Don't bother comparing tuner cars with crazy HP figures, we'll be here all day... lets start with the cars in our (& neighbours) driveways.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 PM   #27
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
I see everyone's point...but i think we're missing some things. First off, it's hard to focus on the issue at hand... we're discussing the quality of Japaneese cars over the rest of the world, not the stereotype of punks laying back in their seats cruising up the street bouncing like an idiot on chopped springs.

If you look at the actual products... Their cars are really quite good. I've never seen a Domestic car last as long as Jap cars without having problems (on average). Reliability is a BIG issue where they are worlds ahead. Also, when you drive down a road in your Chevy Malibu, what do you feel? NOTHING! it's a big sofa on wheels... the steering is vague as shit... you couldn't even feel a tire blowout FeR-kRiEs-SeAkS! I don't know about you, but i enjoy feeling the steering input from the road surface, and having brakes that actually grab when i hit the pedal, not half-way to the floor!

That was a simple comparison between Domestic & Jap.... now European cars are (IMO) a totally different ballgame. The only thing that scares me about Jap cars is their obvious weakness in crash standards. That's what makes them so bloody fast... their (lack of) weight. I sit in both cars and with my Civic, i swear the rain drops are going to peirce the metal in the roof! When I open my window on the highway, the entire roof pops out.... makes the loudest noise, then implodes once the window is rolled up. How safe does that make me? LOL!

Don't bother comparing tuner cars with crazy HP figures, we'll be here all day... lets start with the cars in our (& neighbours) driveways.
well said. Jap cars will get you from A to B reliably and cheaply
Euro cars wil get you there instyle, in comfort, and not without occasionaly forcing you to open your wallet.

It all depends on how you want to get to point B
Old 03-12-2003, 06:38 PM   #28
nos_fx
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Foc us
nos_fx, then you must know the "tec" technology was originated F1, first used in BMW then Honduh slapped a pretty name onto it and start advertising for it right. Turbo was designed by Lotus, rotary engine was from Mercedes Benz etc etc....What Jap companies does was copy their design and advertise it. Plus Jap cars' chassis is really weak comparing to Euro cars or even North American automobiles. Why do we want to start a project car on a weak base anyways. And don't forget....around a year ago in SCC magazine, they've shipped a 1000hp skyline to autobahn and did a time trial, the result was.....a stock 911 turbo can still out perform it, so you might as well as learn a new term called TORQUE.....
Maybe if you went back and read my post you will see that I'm not claming that japanese manufactuars "invent" anything. They sometimes put it into affect better or sooner than others ie-RX7 w/ the rotary engine, BMW invented "tec" for a F1 car...good for them, why did it take them so long to get it into a road car? Don't be mad at Honda for taking a great idea and applying it to a road car!!! And to your comment about the 1000hp skyline being slower than a porsche...well look at the areodynamics thats like racing a shoe box against a paper clip!!! And yes SOME chassis are weak, not all of them are. Then again some Euro chassis are weak too.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:50 PM   #29
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by nos_fx
... yes SOME chassis are weak, not all of them are. Then again some Euro chassis are weak too.

Europe has much different standards than the rest of the world. Here's a small example. Back in '94, i was reading a German car magazine (Auto Motor und Sport)... the conduct their own independant crash tests that are completely unbiased. The test consisted of an offset 55km/h head-on collision (compact car class). I can't remember all the cars, but obviously the worst and best stand out. The Honda Civic hatch along with the Mazda 323 hatch were at the bottom of the list (duh).... WITH airbags, the driver (read: test dummy) sustained major injuries to the head, chest, and arms. They had to use the "jaws of life" to get them out. The roof buckled on the car and the motor looked like it was part of the dashboard. The VW Golf on the other hand (best of the group) was able to have the driver's door OPENED by hand! The dummies were laughing all the way home. I couldn't beleive it...

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #30
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
Europe has much different standards than the rest of the world. Here's a small example. Back in '94, i was reading a German car magazine (Auto Motor und Sport)... the conduct their own independant crash tests that are completely unbiased. The test consisted of an offset 55km/h head-on collision (compact car class). I can't remember all the cars, but obviously the worst and best stand out. The Honda Civic hatch along with the Mazda 323 hatch were at the bottom of the list (duh).... WITH airbags, the driver (read: test dummy) sustained major injuries to the head, chest, and arms. They had to use the "jaws of life" to get them out. The roof buckled on the car and the motor looked like it was part of the dashboard. The VW Golf on the other hand (best of the group) was able to have the driver's door OPENED by hand! The dummies were laughing all the way home. I couldn't beleive it...
Saw the video about the same test.
It was a real eye-opener to see the difference between the VW and some of the other cars like a Civic. I also remember the Ford Taurus in the same test actually caught fire!
That video was the biggest reason I bought the VW Golf Diesel back in '94, and not the Honda.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph

Last edited by tlaselva; 03-12-2003 at 07:10 PM.
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: