Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
speeddemon65
1st Gear Newbie

Jap cars, true performers, or just hype?

OK, I know now that most of you in this site, are not really interested in japanese machinery yet, many other think that they're really good cars. Others say that there is no worse vehicles in the world. And since that darn, The Fast and the furious movie came out. Many of my friends and some other racers that drive muscle cars have taken a lot a crpa from squirrel killer drivers. Now, I ask you guys for your opinion do you or do you not like jap cars.? I mostly don't, I only have a very few exceptions.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Foc us
4th Gear Member

All I have to say is different make have different design, can't say they're not good, it depends on users!
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:33 AM   #3
Miguel
...Delt Smash

you give credit where credit is due.. Jap cars are reliable and tuneable. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:07 AM   #4
speeddemon65
1st Gear Newbie

true but I hate the hype they make about them.
I mean yes some deserve credit. But I would not give credit to some guy in a civic with some rims, spoiler and a whole lot of noise and talk but no performance.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:14 AM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

jap cars are nice...S15 SILVA and Skyline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish i had tones of money

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:07 AM   #6
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

To be honest, If I have a choice between R34 GTR and e46 m3,
I would go for GTR. But except for GTR I wouldnt choose any other (silvia or evo or s2000 or whatever) over M3
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:59 AM   #7
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
there you go. only japanese car that is worth mentioning is the skyline R34

other then that car nothing ever came good from japan on wheels.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:43 AM   #8
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Nobody here likes the NSX???

NSX-R

Bilstein race car replica

Widebody

As seen on Hi-Rev Tuners

Old 03-12-2003, 06:53 AM   #9
Foc us
4th Gear Member

I'll take the EVO 5/6 T M edition anytime, Skyline's too heavy up front and R34 is developed in the wrong direction...too much aero and electronics. I'd rather they bring in the R32/33.
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Ya some jap cars are good, but some are just a waste of money because no matter what you do to them it's still the same car in a way, now i wont go off naming those cars that i think are garbage cause then ill get killed for it...but if you check out my site you'll know, and also, there are very few jap cars i'd take "but it aint my cup of tea" either....
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:44 PM   #11
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
i dont like listening to all the crap about how jap cars are so easily tuneable though. a cold air intake is not that big of a mod as far as im concerned, you pick up what, 3hp, big deal. nothing can beat a chevy smallblock or 5.0 ford when it comes to an infinate aftermarket filled with parts that really will add serious horsepower without having to slap on a turbo or nitrious.
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #12
WASABI
OG

Quote:
Originally posted by MP328
there you go. only japanese car that is worth mentioning is the skyline R34

other then that car nothing ever came good from japan on wheels.
How about the Toyota Supra? Honda NSX? Even the new Toyota MR2 Spyder, these cars hold their own in the Japan GT500 races. . R33 can also be quite a performance rocket.

Jap cars with the right tuners =

Skyline R34s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyline1.jpg (37.3 KB, 127 views)
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #13
nos_fx
2nd Gear Member

HOLD THE PHONE!!! OK I love rice, I know they arn't the fastest cars on the road, but they arn't susposed to be. My goal with my 1988 Toyota MR2 is the same as almost anyone who drives a sport compact car, and that is this:

1-to build a performance car on a buget
2-make something you can call your own (style wise, the mods you do, ect)
3-make my $4000 car faster then cars with a way bigger price tag.
4-be able to beat cars that should smoke you

I think number four is my biggest goal, to prove to people that a V8 is not the be all and end all of engines if you want to go fast, and that you don't have to spend $40 000 - 50 000 or more to get a "performance car".

If in the time that I own my 4cylinder I beat one V8, then I will be more than happy with what I have done with my car
Old 03-12-2003, 01:57 PM   #14
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

guys dont forget the Mazda RX-7, and now the new RX-8...those AMAZING handling cars!! the silva is sooo sick, i love that car...tuners in japan are hitting 600hp easily! just upgrade the internals and put a lil bit bigger turbo.

mike125k what in the blue hell are you talking about? no one said just slap on an intake on a jap car and your done. this is a perfect example of stereotyping...jap car owners are nothing but stupid kids, who slap an intake and exhaust (not even a cat back) and think their cars are fast. Muscle is very good IMO, but its good for one thing, straight line speed (unless heavily modded). that isnt what an NSX or S2000 is for, if you take one to the track, and know how to drive at the track with a M-R or F-R car then you will understand, i myself havent even driven...but anyone can tell you..a jap car like NSX and S2000 is a good performance car for handling. stock for stock, muscle will get torn apart on the track when lined up against an NSX (280hp...at like 7500rpm)

good handling car = true sports car IMO

btw: if you dont like talking about jap cars, why'd u post in the first place?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 03-12-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
sonny
6th Gear Member

There's no question that some Japanese cars are really nice. Especially the Skyline! They seem to be very reliable to. But I would still take an e46 M3 over a GTR anyday
I mean, don't forget your priorities.... _/_/_/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: