Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #61
marek
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
lowering a car is illegal. technically you cannot safety certify a vehicle that has modified suspension (this is in the guide book that mechanic's use). Places like saskatchewan etc...wont even safety cars that are lowered or raised...100 percent of the time these mods are done AFTER the safety (since saskatchewan only requires 1 PERMANENT safety for the entire lifetime of that car no matter how many people buy it)
If that is the case, then changing the original suspension once it is worn out with anything other than dealer parts would make it illegal as well. Since "modified" is anything other that came on the car from the factory.

Here is a link to the HTA dealing with Vehicle Safety Inspection and no where in it does it state that a "modified" suspension is illegal. As long as there is no play or wear, it's good to go.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900611_e.htm
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #62
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

lowering a car is not illegal. stating otherwise is just flat out wrong. plain and simple.

lots of opinion floats around forums...but there is no opinion for this. Its either right or wrong, and saying lowering a car is illegal is just...wrong,incorrect.
cars pass safety just fine with modified suspension lol
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #63
SickFinga

Quote:
sure fine they didnt have pedestrian safety in mind at the time of those cars design but it still doesnt change OTHER height clearances that were in place at that time ie. curbs etc....btw
Citation needed.
The only height restriction I know is the distance between the road and the headlights, but if you know of any other, provide the links.

Quote:
pedestrian safety is fairly new concept that is brought forth by innovative automakers however the IHSA etc....are loving it based on the results they are seeing and its only a matter of time before it does become a basic rule in car manufacturing.
Sure pedestrian safety will be written into law one day, but it will apply only to new cars. Sure there might be a law in the future that will not allow you to modify your suspension, but we are talking about now.

Quote:
lowering a car is illegal. technically you cannot safety certify a vehicle that has modified suspension (this is in the guide book that mechanic's use). Places like saskatchewan etc...wont even safety cars that are lowered or raised...100 percent of the time these mods are done AFTER the safety (since saskatchewan only requires 1 PERMANENT safety for the entire lifetime of that car no matter how many people buy it)
Another citation needed here, but while you are looking for the non-existent law, I'll just leave this here
http://www.yrp.ca/erase/side.htm (does not work in firefox)
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^this has been discussed at great length, this will not stand up in court (never has).

The reason why lowering your car is unsafe is because your bumpers are now too low to mate up with bumpers of larger, higher vehicles in the case of an accident.
Too bad they never lined up to begin with.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #64
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
With respect to concern for pedestrian safety, those flatbed tow trucks blow my mind. There is no rear bumper to speak of until you are a good 5 or 6 feet under the deck, decapatated.

Bumper heights never made any sense to me. For most passenger vehicles; front bumpers are lower then rear bumpers and even more so when you are on the brakes hard.
These trucks are crazy. I was driving by one parked on the side of a major road (always there at nights), and thought... somone is going to hit it.

No proper reflectors... barely saw it myself.

An hour later, I was driving by, and an Intrepid had rear-ended it pretty hard.
The sharp part of the flatbed had cut into the windshield of the car pretty hard.... ehh.
I really hoped the people were okay.... the car was messed up.

The funniest was a lowered BMW rear-ending a older nissan pathfinder.
Heavily bent BMW hood, headlight, and fender. Bumper untouched.
Nissan drove away. Next to no damage... probably didn't care.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #65
mhamouda
Lookin like M

Quote:
LOL and you dont see whats wrong here?
better yet you could have a crv for a new roof.

the other car could have been picked up like a scoop of snow and when both cars came to a full stop it could have slid back off and go out of control into another vehicle.
^^^
he just gave u another point,
have you seen a stock corvette behind a hummer? a toyota corolla behind an 18 wheeler? a C class behind a GMC Yukon or an Escalade?

wouldnt the same thing happen to them there?

if everyone thought like you then no one would drive a low car at all, everyone will go 4x4 and put mud tires on it

if youre going 100 km/hour, regardless of the height of you car, you will be damaged if the other car is at full stop,

lowering a car is dangerous when the tire rubs the fenders, and it could cut ur tire off while ur on the highway...

if ur tires dont rub u should be good to go..

and it would be illegal if the springs were cut, cuz they would go off at anytime.
if you have a proper set up done, it should be no problem.

mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #66
Fe9L
5th Gear Member

Mhamouda: I see why you have no plates now neighbor

And out of any thread i made, the saddest one had to be bumped up eh?

Motion, I really don't believe MTO give a shit about pedestrians, and if they do, that's not the reason they tow low cars... I admit my case was extreme last year and i paid for it i never complained...but they do it solely to make MONEY...they don't care about "$afety"..get it?

The x-love:

Slamation Nation..Wesa
Fe9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #67
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

yup all about money.

why was that bmw towed downtown? not sure if i missed it other than "downtown doesnt know lowered cars" lol ok.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #68
mhamouda
Lookin like M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe9L View Post
Mhamouda: I see why you have no plates now neighbor
haha yaaa..
how did you deal with it?
you cant even get a temporary plate to take it to the mechanic to get it safetied again....
which is unreasonable because its hard getting around...

but... he didnt fine me with anything.. no tickets,
just the summit to court, and once i make the car " FIT" again, everything will be good to go,
so besides my costs of raising up the car, and tow truck fees, theres no other additional costs.

so where would they make their money from?
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #69
Fe9L
5th Gear Member

There are additional costs...my ticket was a summon as well..had no $$ written...but when i went to court..judge said it was $200 ...i had pictures of my car before and after (low and then raised up)... they didn't bother looking at it...i told them that $200 wasn't acceptable and i would appreciate it if they can lower it...judge said $100 ...I ended up paying $125 because court fees are $25 i think it was...

Biggest waste of time ever..200 isn't worth all that time...not to mention the hour and fifteen minutes to put my car behind a tow truck lol....

But again, this goes back to my point, I could have not raised it and not had proof and it still wouldn't have mattered because they never checked my pictures

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The x-love:

Slamation Nation..Wesa
Fe9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #70
SickFinga

BTW, what is written on the summons? What law did you break?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #71
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

My buddy got pulled over for the same thing in his EL. They told him he can drive it home, and bring it back the next day raised. So he just put his stock springs on and brought it back.

They compressed the suspension while someone turned the wheel while another slid a piece of paper between the tire and fender.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #72
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
My buddy got pulled over for the same thing in his EL. They told him he can drive it home, and bring it back the next day raised. So he just put his stock springs on and brought it back.

They compressed the suspension while someone turned the wheel while another slid a piece of paper between the tire and fender.
As if to say that the fender would have hit the tire over a bump during a turn? Well that really can't be safe then...

If I had a nice car I would tell them to **** off before letting them "compress the suspension."

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1993 BMW 525i - daily
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #73
davericher20
black and blue

anyone know how to get insurance if you're a soveriegn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #74
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
anyone know how to get insurance if you're a soveriegn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
I can't comment on much because I'm no expert, however my understanding is this:

To be a Free man on the land you need to cancel your drivers licence, health card, SIN card to revoke your citizenship to Canada.

What I am an expert on is insurance. Without a valid Ontario drivers licence and without an vaild Ontario vehicle ownership, you will not be able to obtain insurance. I only say this because you said "I'll always have some form of insurance that's just good financial sense". I agree.

If a free person on the land causes injury to someone in a vehicle collision, the full financial responsibility of that; rehabilitation costs for the other person and their passengers, damages to their vehicle, their lost wages, damaged property, etc.. rests fully on his/her shoulders. This is not how it goes if you are insured; the other drivers policy picks up most of those costs, but since you don't pay into the insurance system; a pooling of the money of the masses to pay for the losses of the few, they hang your "free man's" ass out on a line and let you pay your own soverign way. But hey, you dodged a few fines along the way so you can afford it, right?
It's not possible.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #75
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

if you are "free man" who cares. drive anyways

as for this mto business. pure cash grab

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: