Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Non-BMW Related
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
^^^ The newer sensors are night and day when it comes to low light situations... There's the old addage that "it's the photographer, not the gear". I believe that's true, to a limit. Better equipment does help.
Yes, new cameras have superior sensors. And that adage may be old, but isn't any less applicable today. If anything, today's technology has made it much easier for anybody to take pictures, but it doesn't mean everybody is going to take better pictures out of the box. Most people won't appreciate the limiting factors if they don't bother to learn the full capabilities of their gear. But you're right, better equipment will afford greater latitude, to those who have an understanding of what the limits are. A better camera won't make anybody a better photographer if you can't get a decent picture from a basic camera to begin with.

Gerald Lau's Facebook profile
jello_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Never said better equipment will make a better photographer... Better equipment will let a photographer get the shot he wants more easily...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Never said better equipment will make a better photographer...
And I never claimed you made that statement. But it's a false belief shared by many whenever they start shopping for a camera.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I don't think it's a false belief.

If you are going out and spending money, it costs less to get the good stuff right from the get go...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
jello_g
4th Gear Member

That's a matter of interpretation. How good is "good stuff" and when is it good enough?

I'll put money down on a good photographer taking a better picture with a crappy camera vs. a newb with >$1000 gear.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

A newb isn't going to stay a newb forever - eventually the newb learns and wants to upgrade. that's my point...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Yes, a newb will learn and develop skills. But there are different schools of thought on the approach.

Let's use cars for example. Give a new driver a M3. Will he become as good or better driver vs. another new driver who had an opportunity to drive the snot out of a 318 first?

And that's my point.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
A newb isn't going to stay a newb forever - eventually the newb learns and wants to upgrade. that's my point...
I know a stupid blond bitch that has a great $800 SLR camera for 3 years. She still selects auto settings and thinks she takes great pictures and that her camera is great. I never had the nerve to tell her shes an idiot and that a $50 camera can take the same pictures shes taking.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #24
jello_g
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I know a stupid blond bitch that has a great $800 SLR camera for 3 years. She still selects auto settings and thinks she takes great pictures and that her camera is great. I never had the nerve to tell her shes an idiot and that a $50 camera can take the same pictures shes taking.
Look on the bright side, you can give the blond a thumbs up for nice camera!

Kind of like seeing a wannabe missing gears in a supercar in stop-n-go traffic.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #25
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Probably an idiot who didn't plan on actually learning how to shoot...

I still believe going for something with a better sensor is best - I'm so limited by low light right now it sucks... I hate flash, have one because I need to have one, but I'd much rather get natural light...
Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:

I still believe going for something with a better sensor is best - I'm so limited by low light right now it sucks... I hate flash, have one because I need to have one, but I'd much rather get natural light...
What lenses do you use?
Often times it's the slow (high aperture) lens that makes low light performance inadequate. A better faster lens, will improve low light performance.

Do you have a 50mm 1.8 prime lens?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
What lenses do you use?
Often times it's the slow (high aperture) lens that makes low light performance inadequate. A better faster lens, will improve low light performance.

Do you have a 50mm 1.8 prime lens?
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
20mm 2.8
60mm 2.8
50mm 1.8
80-200 2.8

I know a bigger aperture opening (smaller number) will give me more range, but night shooting with ISO800 still sucks...

I've taken the beginner, intermediate and advanced courses at Sheridan, plan on doing a for more specific ones -the wedding one (more so to learn how to shoot events, not neccessarily weddings), the portraiture one as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
20mm 2.8
60mm 2.8
50mm 1.8
80-200 2.8

I know a bigger aperture opening (smaller number) will give me more range, but night shooting with ISO800 still sucks...

I've taken the beginner, intermediate and advanced courses at Sheridan, plan on doing a for more specific ones -the wedding one (more so to learn how to shoot events, not neccessarily weddings), the portraiture one as well.
maybe you can change the exposure or shutter speed .. as long as your on a tripod the picture should come out fine. I know the feeling thou working outside on a cloudy day yet sunny .. you either get no face of the person and a background or whiten/darken background with perfect image of person.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #29
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
maybe you can change the exposure or shutter speed .. as long as your on a tripod the picture should come out fine. I know the feeling thou working outside on a cloudy day yet sunny .. you either get no face of the person and a background or whiten/darken background with perfect image of person.
yea, but can't have the tripod all the time either...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #30
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
20mm 2.8
60mm 2.8
50mm 1.8
80-200 2.8
Thats an impressive list of lenses.
The D80 can't be that bad can it? I've seen many impressive shots taken with just XTi/XSi/D40/D50 Cameras in low light.

Are you shotting in full manual and forcing the lowest aperture? Sorry i'm just asking, i can't see Nikon's being that much worst than Canon's non-full frame body's.

I currently have an XSi, should have waited for the T1i, but still I don't use it enough to justify moving to a full frame camera, not unless i planned to make money using it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: