Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
emil
1st Gear Newbie

In Ottawa for a bit, have a few questions

Hey everyone,

I'm from Winnipeg and I drove out here for a few weeks to visit my girlfriend (and treat myself to an end-of-summer vacation_. Back home I've got a beautiful '88 635CSi that needs a few things, mainly misc trim pieces. Seeing as how E24s are fairly rare, finding parts for one in Winnipeg is quite the task. My girlfriend works during the day, giving me TONS of time to kill, so I was wondering: does anyone know of any decent pick-and-pull junk yards in town that may have an E24 in the lot that I could pillage?

Secondly, are there any decent go-kart places in Ottawa? I'd like to avoid the tracks at which I'll be competing against children for podium glory, if at all possible.

Lastly, as an out-of-towner and a bimmer gearhead, is there anywhere in Ottawa that I must absolutely check out, like a dealership with cool cars in it or something similar? When I say I've got TONS of time to kill, I really mean it, so any suggestions for something I can do would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Emil

PS here is an obligatory pic of my euro sixer:

Last edited by emil; 08-20-2009 at 11:00 AM.
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Some of the guys meet up on Friday at M&M, look at the first thread in this section (it's a sticky).
Go Karting, two place I like.
http://www.topkarting.com/ which is indoors with 1 corner going through large doors outside.
http://www.complexeamigo.com/en/gokart.html
I love the track, huge if your lucky enough to have the entire track to yourself and group. If not, it's good cause all the little kids are on the other section racing slow karts, away from you.
As for parts, call these guys
http://www.411.ca/business/Quebec/Ga...s/7680505.html
They have a dozen e28's and e24's in the yard, not sure what they are there for.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec...c%7C16f50605f1
These guys are a European Scrap yard, all european cars, call them and see what they have.

Oh, welcome to Ottawa, and your car is sick! I just got my e30 2 weeks ago, and starting to regret it as i'm getting an itch for the e24. Next car is definetly going to be that though!
gervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
jeffrie
Addict

Top Cart on the hull side is were you'll want to go for go-carting that is well close and has adults that race.
Although I'd recomend entering your real car to the actual race track for some open lap days.
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/
They have Mustangs you can use if you'd prefer to baby your car.

Do not know anything about wreckers so can't help you their.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
emil
1st Gear Newbie

So it looks like everything good is in Quebec, hey?

So, is anyone else bored or have free time and want to go check out these wreckers?

Last edited by emil; 08-20-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
gervs
2nd Gear Member

My office is litterally right behind the BBW place, if you go shoot me a PM (i work in IT so i'm always checking this site every 3 minutes) and i'll see if I can escape the Nazi mngmt.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Lee in Ottawa
5th Gear Member

The cars besides BBW are owned by Euro parts
Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
msinger
3rd Gear Member

if youre there and you see an e36 z3 steering rack inquire on a price for me. thanks!
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
msinger
3rd Gear Member

that would be years 95-97 thanks
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Some seem to think that 95-97 1.9l rack is the only one to get, but I was looking at specs, and all z3's seem to have 2.75 lock to lock. Not sure if this is correct though.

And Lee, thanks for the info, i didn't know what was the deal with all those cars, they are in very nice condition too. I drive by everyday and always stare at them almost taking the ditch everytime lol.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Old_School
2nd Gear Member

BBW is owned by the sister of the guy who owns Euro Parts. Neither is "Pick'n'Pull" though they'll let you cruise the yard and look for what you want. They will pull it for you, and their prices are pretty high for used parts, but sometimes it's the only/best place to get stuff.

Nice shark Emil. Too bad it isn't here, I'd love to see it close up.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
emil
1st Gear Newbie

I went to Euro Parts yesterday, had a nice conversation with the owner. Really friendly guy. There IS in fact a pick-n-pull part of the lot, full of older VWs, Audis, BMWs, Saabs, and Mercs. Nothing newer than '96 I'd say. As for BMWs in the pick-n-pull, there was a single E34 535i, several E28 528e, an E28 535i, an E23 733i, a bunch of E30 318i/is and 325i/is, a single E36, and an E3 Bavaria, which was really neat to see.

Plenty of E28s that I was able to pillage though! I found just about everything I needed to complete the toolkit in my 6er, which made me VERY happy with the yard. Also picked up a couple things for my buddy's E28 such as an OBC panel and an adjustable centre dash vent.

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with my haul.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Nice find! I called him yesterday for 'smillies', he quoted me 150$ per side lol.

[quote=Old_School;1337846]BBW is owned by the sister of the guy who owns Euro Parts. QUOTE]

She owns it? I thought she just worked there, Good for her!

Last edited by gervs; 08-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
emil
1st Gear Newbie

My friend in Winnipeg needed a taillight for his '93 Audi 100CS Quattro, he quoted me $75 for it, which is remarkably reasonable considering new ones are almost $200. I pulled it myself from the pick-n-pull and he knocked the price down to $60.

Pull it yourself = cheaper

All the toolkit pieces I bought and the E28 stuff only came out to $30 for me.

Edit: AND he gave me a chunk of foglight harness that I needed for the E34 back home for free!

Last edited by emil; 08-21-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Sweet, I think I might go talk to him at lunch about a pick and pull deal.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

On the e36 rack topic, while a z3 has a shorter lock to lock, the ratio is the same as any e36, meaning turning the wheel the same amount produces the same radius of turn, it just won't turn as far. So any e36 is good.

The E36 M3 from 95 is a variable rate short lock (3.0) that is highly desirable and priced accordingly, typically.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: