Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
TV/cable/Rogers question

We've only got one digital box in the house at the moment, we are getting a tv in the room and a Roger's rep said that we can watch the channels without a rental box, but refused to explain.

so how do we do that?

and is it still worth it to set up satelite? my parents used to have satelite and they could get the programming done with all the channels, is this still possible?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

you can get basic cable channels without the box by just plugging the cable into the tv?

or did you mean a way to get digital cable without the box? I doubt that is possible, you'd have to buy another box.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
someguy
Singhy

you can pick up basic, and sometimes even the full cable channels, just by plugging the cable line into the TV. Some TV's do have a digital cable reciever built in, but they don't pick up all the channels and some of the channels are encoded.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
TheMadChigga

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
you can get basic cable channels without the box by just plugging the cable into the tv?

or did you mean a way to get digital cable without the box? I doubt that is possible, you'd have to buy another box.
I mean just basic cable channels, I tried it and all I've got is nothing on the outlet?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yeah, you'll get non-digital channels up to whatever the TV tuner goes up to and/or what channels you're paying for. We have that on our kitchen tv here in the new place.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

u can get free basic cable, all you need is to open a box on the side of your house get a special tool and disconnect the small blocking device. (you have to have rogers internet to do so tho)

I know my friend did that for so many years, but recently they random check that stuff.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
I mean just basic cable channels, I tried it and all I've got is nothing on the outlet?
Most likely you need to check to see if that outlet is connected to the main line. (most likely in your basement).

The Rogers guy that did my new home install only connected 4 outlets. The others I can connect myself if I ever need them.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 08-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
someguy
Singhy

o if u see a box on the side of the house you need a special tool to open it and reconnect the outlets. if u need that tool you can borrow mine, or they sell them for $15 at the flea markets.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
TheMadChigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
o if u see a box on the side of the house you need a special tool to open it and reconnect the outlets. if u need that tool you can borrow mine, or they sell them for $15 at the flea markets.
thx for the offer! what does this special tool look like btw?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
someguy
Singhy

something like this:
http://img137.imageshack.us/i/ltt7ne...7;20box%20tool
you put the tool in and it clicks into place, then you can turn it to open up the lock. I've heard about people using other tools/methods to open it, but I just bought it so the box doesn't look tampered with.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

He already has cable tv, that is only needed if he wanted to steal cable while only paying for internet.

He just needs to check to see if the actual outlet is hooked up to his main line.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Sam...

call me, I'll hook you up with all you need for TV.. Digital Antenna gets up to 60 mile radius and HDTV too...

plus, I'll install a sat for you and you can get all your ASIAN channels....
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
ooh and cancel ROGERS.... they suck big hairy ballz!
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
TheMadChigga

I can't send you a pm

I really don't like Rogers, they've been ****ing up my phone bill months to months, I pay enough on my phone for a farking 335 lease.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Since no one seems to know this... If you have a newer TV with a Digital ATSC tuner built ing, if you connect it to your cable and you already have a digital box somewhere else connected... IF you buy a movie you will be able to watch the digital channel on your other TV(s) if you buy the movie. You'll need to scan for the channels though.

This works because the digital box requests a decoded stream on a certain channel which the TV then can pick up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: