Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
BigD
the misanthropist

Tornado warning: Halton/Peel

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...ion=wwcaon0029

Remember from highschool, if shit goes down, open your windows and get into a basement corner.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long

open your windows? really?

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
open your windows? really?
Yeah. If you don't, the low pressure from the tornado can pop your roof. Opening windows will let the pressure equalize.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

**** that, hold onto your volvo's

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
nomeam
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Yeah. If you don't, the low pressure from the tornado can pop your roof. Opening windows will let the pressure equalize.
opening your windows will do absolutely nothing to prevent your house from exploding. First of all, damage to houses during a tornado is not caused by them exploding due to pressure differences, it is caused by the violent winds and the mass of debris being flown around by the twister. The pressure difference between your house and the tornado is not significant enough to cause an explosion. Also, it is not wise to waste time trying to open windows when you could be spending the time to get to a safe place to protect yourself and anyone else with you. Opening windows will also allow for more debris and junk to be flown into the house and perhaps causing even more damage than if they were closed. If a tornado warning is issued for your county, leave the windows alone and get to safety. you shoudl probably read better books or speak to better educated people before posting dumb ass shit that
nomeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

i dont think Big D used the word "explosion" a single time in his post... and on a side note, why such a massive vagina flex when you clearly don't seem to understand the impact air pressure can make.There are more factors to tornado's than air pressure that cause damage and yes debris does cause damage! I think you are a sure-fire phd candidate.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
nomeam
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
i dont think Big D used the word "explosion" a single time in his post... and on a side note, why such a massive vagina flex when you clearly don't seem to understand the impact air pressure can make.There are more factors to tornado's than air pressure that cause damage and yes debris does cause damage! I think you are a sure-fire phd candidate.
http://www.tornadoproject.com/myths/myths.htm

Myth or Misconception #4 .... Opening windows to equalize air pressure will save a roof, or even a home, from destruction by a tornado.

The idea that moving one thin pane of glass is going to protect a roof or house from one of the most violent natural forces on the planet has a certain absurdity about it. It is probably born of wishful thinking and faulty logic, stemming from the need to do something .... anything. In reality, opening windows is a dangerous and useless waste of time, and could actually be harmful to the house.

To get to the very center of a mature tornado (where the pressure may be low enough to cause some explosive effects), the windows would have to endure 100-200 mph winds in the walls of the vortex. Those winds would be laden with boards, stones, cars, trees, telephone poles, and the neighbor's roof shingles as well as wind pressure of more than 100 pounds per square foot. This barrage would blow more than enough ventilation holes in the building to allow any pressure difference to be equalized.

Even with the windows closed, most houses and commercial buildings have enough openings to vent the pressure difference in the time that it takes for a tornado to pass. The engineering team at Texas Tech's Institute for Disaster Research (Minor et al., 1977) point out that the pressure drop inside a tornado with 260 mph winds is only about 10%, or just 1.4 pounds per square inch. Most buildings can vent this difference through its normal openings in about three seconds. That is sufficient time even if the tornado is moving forward at a very rapid 60 mph. In the real world, the discussion is pointless. That violent a tornado would totally blow apart a house before the central low pressure ever arrived. Venting of air to relieve pressure would not be an issue.
nomeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

The warning has been withdrawn, now we'll never know
Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
and on a side note, why such a massive vagina flex
Thanks a lot man, you made me spit my drink. Best line I heard all day.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_JAY View Post
LOL. btw, now you see why i run from clouds, yesterday i ran to sq1 underground. When the storm was over there was so much flooding that cars in the outdoor lots were full of water rofl.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_JAY View Post
Haha, I do what I can

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: