Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Boss17
6th Gear Member

Are BMW Minis any good

Hey,

So my wife and I just moved back from LA, and she really wants a BMW Mini Cooper. Her sister had an "S" and popped the engine at 120k, but she didn't really know how to drive stick, so I think that played a major role; along with the fact that she didn't service the car regularly.

If anyone knows if any trouble areas with these cars and which model(s) I should focus on, let me know; personally, I would want and "S" because it seem to have a bit of go.

Thanks,

Rob
1990 Ford Probe Turbo- SOLD
Boss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Boss17
6th Gear Member

Posted under my brother's account.......oh the shame!
1990 Ford Probe Turbo- SOLD
Boss17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
nomeam
2nd Gear Member

just guy one and service it as if it where your bimmer. I'm sure it will work out.
nomeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
pawcio
6th Gear Member

my sister has had an "s" for 2 or 3 years now (6sp MT) and she hasn't complained of any problems. those cars are actually fun to drive.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

I rented a mini when I was in LA a month back, I originally hated the idea of it and disliked the car period. Man I was in for the shock of my life. I drive an e39 540i, and I tell ya, getting in this lil mini was like getting in my 5! Huge inside, aside from the fact it was autotragic, it was a drop top. If anything were to ever happen to my 5, mini is definetly next on my list!
mazdaRXwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

buy one with as much warranty as possible attached.

Co-worker had one leased, just before he gave it back, the engine digested a con rod. - this was less than 80K, dealer maintained.

I also heard that transmissions are not the greatest and VERY expensive to fix outside of warranty.

Very fun cars to drive though, good luck

lgb240
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
someguy
Singhy

the first generations have their share of problems. They are really picky about maintenance and there are common areas to look out for. I remember reading about mushrooming suspension mount towers, and some electrical problems, but for the most part they are like VW's; maintenance is everything but it will only get you as far as your luck will. I hear the second generation minis are much better in quality and reliability. I've only driven a first-gen "S" and I gotta say that car is a blast to drive. Only thing is that it would be too small if that was the only car you had. In your case, just find the newest one in your price range and have fun!
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

My buddy has a Cooper with the JCW package installed and it is a blast to drive! Can't compare it to an 'S' since I have never driven one
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Simby
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Simby
Nice looking car but I've only driven the non-S and it was a joke. It had no pull even when red lining it. The S should be a lot better but for that kind of coin, the car is too small and sorta useless.
Simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

The girlfriend's got one, and S, and the car really is a blast. Because the car is a part of the BMW family it has it's common problem areas that go along with it. Spend some time and search around on www.northamericanmoroting.com and you should be able to get a lot of your questions answered just by browsing through many of the topics.

The common problems once fixed (and aren't too costly for the most part) allow the car to be problem free for the most part by keeping up with the regular maintainance.

Also, we rented a base Cooper while on a trip in LA and the car was still a great car for city driving. Although the fuel mileage is reported to be very similar between the S and the Cooper, real world driving in the Cooper is much better than the S since the supercharger whine forces your foot to press the gas pedal as hard as you can!

Good luck on the search.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
John Cooper Works!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Ok I worked in service for Mini for a while and honestly they are really good cars.

The new style "S" has a major design flaw but if you aren't driving short distances and warm your cars up in the winter for a few min then you won't experience this. The way the intake is designed water collects at the bottom and then freezed blocking the throttle plate if you don't drive much you get the water, no power and an engine light. Warming the car up before driving solves this problem. (Which is all they do when you take it to the dealer let it run for an hour to melt the ice)

Only other thing that was common in the winter is the windows freeze so you shouldn't try to open them or they loose calibration and then you need to take it to the dealer to have it reset.

I would take it to the Mini dealer there they have a great tech staff the manager is a bit wierd but the techs are awsome. lol
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
Although the fuel mileage is reported to be very similar between the S and the Cooper, real world driving in the Cooper is much better than the S since the supercharger whine forces your foot to press the gas pedal as hard as you can!
the newest generation, i'm guessing starting around '06/'07 has a turbo not a supercharger.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: