Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
DYMO
JDM soul

o Hai! ('86 BMW 316)

Hey MB,
This is my intro thread.
The name's Dymo, and im the new owner of the RHD 1986 316 E30 that was for sale on here a little while ago:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...&highlight=316

I've been lurking MB for quite some time now, but i think its time i made a proper introduction to my fellow beemer owners. I was at the Bimmersport BBQ a few weeks ago, but hung out mostly with my buddy Chris (De la cruz)

I'm a complete newbie in the BMW scene, as this is my first beemer. hope i can adjust to the learning curve. My first love for cars were German cars, specifically Porsches and Quattro Audi's. I swayed over to Japanese cars for a good number of years, falling into the JDM circles here in toronto (all my friends own JDM cars). After owning a few JDM cars myself ('91 Pulsar GTIR and an '86 200sx S12) i felt it was time to return to my roots and go with something Bavarian. My original plan was to import a RHD 944 or E30 but luckily i found my 316 already imported.

I've always been interested in cultural infusian in the tuner scene (the RE AMEMIYA FD3S styled after a Porsche as a prime example) and decided my next car would go in that direction. A RE AMEMIYA FC3S-styled 944 or a Hakosuka-inspired E30. Owning a E30 now, i realize how much work is ahead of me. I'm hoping that MB and you guys will be willing to help me grow as a BMW enthusiast. The few beemer owners i have met are quite nice, and prove that the stereotype of BMW drivers is not true. We're not pricks or doucebags

Currently im driving the 316 around for the summer, and plan to put her away and work on her in the winter, so i'm in the process of planning things out right now. a few suggestiongs and pointers would be greatly appreciated. To start off:

- suspension and brake upgrade. what do you guys suggest?
- engine swaps. easy and cheap, but with power. im leaning towards a M50 swap right now but its nice to have options.

i'll add more at a later date

thanks for reading!
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Welcome!
...316 eh... a swap is definitely in check, get that weed whacker motor out of there.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Welcome, looks like a very clean car.

I say you need to start sourcing an Mtech I kit, you are 1/4 way there with the euro bumpers.

A lowered suspension and some nice wide wheels will transform the exterior appearence.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Welcome.
I would leave the engine alone for a while.
Start with the tires and rims.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
archins
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Skype™ to archins
how is driving RHD on LHD trafic

BMWMPOWER.LATVIA
archins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Awesome score!! Definetly a very cool example.

As for suspension/ engine upgrades it would depend on how much you are willing to spend. The common theme for summer only rides tends to be gc coilovers and koni's or bilstein shocks. If you don't want to spend that much you can run IE 3's or H&R races. Obviously on an 86 bushings will be important as well.

As for engine swaps there is the m50 as mentioned or the m30 out of the e34. The only thing you would have to investigate is how the RHD will affect your swap. Good luck!!
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Were you at kennedy commons last week with the car, I got there late, and when you drove out the guy's said that was the right hand drive car.

Very rare car in Canada...not many were brought over.

Instead of swaping in a bigger motor, it would be cool if you could find the Turbo set up from a 2002 bmw and set that up on your car. the old bmw turbo set up was wicked, and you would have a very origional set up. Future value of the car might be higher going that way compaired to swapping in the m50. Its hard enought to find a right hand drive 316, and keeping the 4 banger with a factory turbo set up would keep more of the cars value. Probley cost around the same to go with the factory turbo set up.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
DYMO
JDM soul

thanks for the reply and the welcome guys.

to reply, i'll be starting with rims and suspension to start off with modifications.
and then a swap will be in order. im not much of a fan of boost, as i prefer a linear power curve, so i'll go with something big and N/A (possibly S/C but thats an afterthought)

i'll keep the original carb'd i4 but all the parts are starting to show a little age, so i want to swap out the diff, driveshaft, tranny, and engine. im aiming for 350 whp. i still need to do alot of planning as you can tell

ps. driving RHD in LHD isnt that hard actually. i can jump between LHD and RHD cars and not get confused. Parallel parking is a breeze and if i need to make a left turn, i just lean left to look ahead (and get closer to the girl in the passenger seat )

Last edited by DYMO; 08-05-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Your going to have to do ALOT to an m50 to get it to 350whp. Even an s50/s52 would require alot of work to get at that number. Boost is almost a must, unless you have really deep pockets.

Not to mention the drive shaft, rear end, and half shafts not holding up to that amount of power for long.

edit: Not trying to be dick, just letting you know its not going to be easily attainable.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
DYMO
JDM soul

lol thanks. guess i'll have to look into it. im aiming for 350 because thats around the amount of hp im used to from the pulsar. but i guess i'll have to adjust the numbers as i said, im a complete newb when it comes to bimmers
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

Definitely look into it, it has been done, but were talking heavily modded cars. Considering the m50 is what 190hp stock? I'd be impressed if you got the motor alone to 350hp let alone whp.

Probably better to start off with a s50/s52 if your aiming for higher numbers.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
DYMO
JDM soul

a friend of mine offered me a motor out of a 06 m3. which engine is that? i looked it up and it said it was a N motor with turbos? (on wiki)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

If its an m3 that would be the S54, to swap one of those into an e30 will require lots and lots of money/knowledge. Would definitely be very expensive, but I believe the hp is around 330 stock.

If he said it was an N motor hes likely refering to the n54 out of the newer 335's. Which is 300hp/300ft/lbs twin turbo. 400hp/400ftlb's of torque could likely be done with a tune as far as I know.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
DYMO
JDM soul

ok thanks.
so M50 or S52 then
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
325isStephen
6th Gear Member

S52 is what I would do if I had 350whp as a goal, you'll be starting with 240hp stock, and can convert to obd1 to gain some power. then the usual intake, computer upgrades.

It will still take quite a bit of cash and know how to get up to 350whp. But it can be done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: