Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
davericher20
black and blue

It's aliiiiiive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

got her started tonight, Took it for a spin, blows hot air and it bleeds coolant from the screw!

finished doing the timing belt, water pump, camshaft seal, thermostat housing gasket, thermostat, all new belts, fan clutch, adjusted the valves, valve cover gasket, new coolant, oh and new rims, bought a set off of jays_325is
Plus a bunch of trim stuff like headlight rings, new euro grill, kidneys, front bumper trim

needs-- oxygen sensor removed--the torch didn't do shit to get it off. time for bimmersport.
needs--new battery.
needs---a whole bunch of other shit.

exhaust leak.......don't know where, somewhere in the middle of the car, don't care at the moment.

gonna drive it to Lindsay friday and see how it does.

I have 2 AZEV type A 17" 7.5 for sale you can have the third too but it's fubared. don't ask about the 4th.

I can officially call myself a weekend mechanic, feels good.
Thanks for all the help guys. especially jays_325is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.

Last edited by davericher20; 07-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Hey Dave,

I'm attempting to upgrade to weekend mechanic myself. I've done a few things already (exhaust, tune up, brakes, interior stuff, etc...), but on the advice of some of the guys on the forum, I want to do the timing belt asap (this weekend). I'm a little bit nervous, though, having nebver done it before and I don't want to mess it up.

Did you do the timing belt just by yourself? Had you done it before? What manual did you use? How long did it take and how hard was it on a scale of 1-10? Sorry for all the questions, I can either try it this weekend, or get my mechanic to do it...
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hey Dave,

I'm attempting to upgrade to weekend mechanic myself. I've done a few things already (exhaust, tune up, brakes, interior stuff, etc...), but on the advice of some of the guys on the forum, I want to do the timing belt asap (this weekend). I'm a little bit nervous, though, having nebver done it before and I don't want to mess it up.

Did you do the timing belt just by yourself? Had you done it before? What manual did you use? How long did it take and how hard was it on a scale of 1-10? Sorry for all the questions, I can either try it this weekend, or get my mechanic to do it...
Answers to all your questions
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...iming-Belt.htm
Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
James325I
3rd Gear Member

Congrats Dave, post how the drive went. I have my E30 project going on also and it will be awhile before it will be roady worthy enjoy the drive for all of us trying to find time to get our cars done too.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
davericher20
black and blue

Thanks, def will post how the drive went.........wait......I'm receiving my psychic powers from my dead dog Zorro........ehhh.....ahhh.........mmmmmm........y es?.......

Zorro says the drive will be hot.

oh....right I don't have any air conditioning.

Brent, the question is, how soon do you need your car, you can def get it done in a weekend but with it being your first time and all the hangups I had figuring stuff out...it might be longer. I had no previous experience other than watching a buddy do it. If you want it done fast and have the money to blow for a mechanic to do it.......by all means.
But if you want to truly know that your car is in good working order cause you did it yourself, and want to save over $1000... do it yourself.

the 101 projects that dINAN posted is the book I have, and I used this link also
http://e30world.com/engine/BMW-E30-t...and-water-pump

It took me over 2 months, because either I didn't have time, and when I did have time, it would be 1 small project at a time, it's not my dd so I wasn't in a hurry.

Don't worry about f-ing it up, I was worried too, you just have to be careful.

Quote:
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
jays325is
1st Gear Newbie

awesome dude!!!! I'm pumped that you got it finished so quick, sorry our schedules didn't line up a little better so that we could get it on the road sooner. After all the time and effort you've put into that car you definitely deserve a good drive around town.

I'll give you a shout next week and we can go for a cruise. Did you put the wheels on yet, if so how do they look(sorry can't get question marks to work on my brothers computer)
jays325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
jays325is
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hey Dave,

brent, the timing belt is definitely do-able in a weekend, but that's assuming you don't hit any snags...

dave and I did the timing belt on my car and then his, and we managed to hit some of the same snags and some new ones as well. Pelican parts rates the job somewhere around a 7 out of 10, so it's no cake walk. If you have all the tools, all the parts (timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, and some new cam seals/gaskets which you should do while you're in there) and a little luck then it's not a bad job. I highly recommend this as a great job to do to get going as a weekend mechanic, but only if you have the time to do so. If you have just a weekend, then I almost guarantee you won't get through it, because if there is one consistent thing about car repairs, it's that nothing ever runs as smoothly as you'd expect. By no means let this discourage you, I'm just letting you know so you don't get halfway through and then have to tow it to the mechanic because you need your car monday.
jays325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

So since your car is running are you coming to one of the Durham meets or the show at Mosport???? I have been waiting forever to see the touring!!!!!!!!!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

Hey Jay, ya the wheels are on and they look great.......I might just leave them, who knows. Ya we should get together next week
Rich, yes I'll be coming to one don't know which one yet.

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: