Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
mario09
Adrenaline Junky

water in gas tank

Ok so Iím having some issues with my car.
Itís a 86 325e with over 450km. I know it high but still runís like new.

Ok so here my issue, I was driving on the hwy in the rain when the car started to putter and jerk around and the idle was very extreme. I pulled off the hwy and the car just died. I kept trying to start it but nothing; it cranks but just wonít give. I thought it was the fuel pump that gave out so I replaced that as well as the fuel filter and nothing, just cranks but wonít give.
I ended up getting the car towed to BimmerSport to get it diagnosed. Charlie the owner said that there is a lot of water in my gas tank and there are no leaks in the tank at all. I asked how it could have gone in there and he just said, maybe some one poured water in the tank, it happens, but that canít be because I lock my car were ever I go and that locks my gas door as well. So he had no clue how the water got in there and I have no clue either, so he ended up taking all the water out and cleaning my injectors and now I am just paranoid to drive the car in the rain.

Does anyone have any ideas why and how this happened, because Iím lost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
mario09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

some gas stations get water in there tanks my buddy filled up at a no name gas place and it was half water half gas that's why u keep receipts where did u fill up last??
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
mario09
Adrenaline Junky

sunoco or shell
and what will the receipt be good for, cant really prove its them and not the car it self
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
srdjE30
Brembara

I didnt know people do crazy shit like that...half water half gas /// LOOOL
MaXBImmER RAAAR
srdjE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
mario09
Adrenaline Junky

yeah its so stupid! all to make money!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
iignite
2nd Gear Member

i know theres a product called Heet or something where it's a gasline antifreeze and water remover. Give that a try, depending on how much water there is, it should help a bit.
iignite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Check the gas cap gasket?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
mario09
Adrenaline Junky

well the water has been removed for now and i will definitely check the gas cap gasket, that would make sense, thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
matty.dc
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to matty.dc
i believe water remover for fuel is diesel only....could be wrong

1987 325is(Midnight Tuning Tuned OBD I S52) - Current Summer Car
2012 Hyundai Veloster Tech- Daily Driver
1985 318i - 1st Car (started it all)
matty.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

my buddy filled up at a this no name gas station and where they fill the gas into the ground there was a leak and water got in he made it to my shop drained the gas tank and there water he broght it back to them and they gave him his money back cause they had more than his complaint if your car is running fine and then 5 min laters it starts to chug and buck it's only leaves one thing how long did u fill up before this happend??
Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

LOL we are driving 20 year old cars, most with rusty gas tanks, through snow and rain mosta the year and everyone blames the gas station. Come on guys, check by your spare tire, bet its wet too, but its due to the tire company that makes the rubber sweat right???

there is no way your gonna get that much water from a gas station, you drove in the rain, splashing and water got into the tank, find the leak and fix it.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
mario09
Adrenaline Junky

well I drove in the rain and now the car runs fine. I haven't found any leaks, so no clue why! as to how long after this happened i would say 24 hours after i filled up and my tank was half full when this happened.

now I fill up at husky with 90 octane and i shake my fist when ever i drive by a sunoco
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

My father-in-law filled up in Buffalo with his 4month old suzuki, car died few miles away from the gas station.

He had his car towed all the way back to toronto thinking he bought a lemon (CAA) to a suzuki dealership, the gas station paid for all the repairs and the mileage for the tow. There were multiple cases, and they admitted they had a water leak in their tank. They were even willing to pay for a hotel, but he didn`t need one.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
LOL we are driving 20 year old cars, most with rusty gas tanks, through snow and rain mosta the year and everyone blames the gas station. Come on guys, check by your spare tire, bet its wet too, but its due to the tire company that makes the rubber sweat right???

there is no way your gonna get that much water from a gas station, you drove in the rain, splashing and water got into the tank, find the leak and fix it.
just because our cars are 20 years old doesn't mean we got rust buckets maybe the gas stations tanks is 40+ years old . If there was a hole in the gas tank or leaks in the gas tank u would be smelling gas ever time u fill up and he didn't stay that he smelt gas. it's not that uncommon to get water in your gas as the gas holding tanks are in the ground where the gas trucks fill up the water can leak through there and yes u can get a alot of water in your gas tank i drained my buddy's tank and the water came to the top as gas and water seperate my buddies e30 started bucking and dieing 5 min after he filled up and he was almost empty same problem as T DOT

anyways sounds good problem is fixed : also mario make sure to take it for a nice long drive to make sure all the water is out cause it can rust the inside of your injectors

Last edited by BmW1819; 07-29-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: