Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
SweetnessGT
1st Gear Newbie

I've been towed plenty of times for plenty of reasons... 90% of the time it's been with CAA.

In my experience, these fly-by-night personal tow truck drivers are the crazies who place high pressure on you to let them tow you. (In an accident or emergency situation)

I now refuse to deal with these people.

In the 5 years I've had CAA I've averaged about 3 tows a year, and never once have I had a bad experience with them. My car isn't disgustingly low, but it's low enough and when going up on a flat bed you have to be careful the chain doesn't rub the front end as it goes up the ramp... all the drivers have let me address this by stepping on the chain as the car is pulled up. They always use the utmost care to tow the car.

I only had damage to the car once where the straps went around the rim... and it wasn't really his fault it's just the tires were 205's where they should have been 215's-225's so the rim lip was exposed a bit. The strapping rubbed through the finish on the edge in 2 spots.

With that said... I have never tipped. These guys are doing their job in a manner that frankly, I've already paid for. (My CAA Membership) I DID have a discussion with a driver last fall when I had to have my beater towed home (blown rad)... and he explained their pay structure. THEY paid for their Diesel gas (last year was painful for them), and they get paid $20 for the pickup and I think like $0.35 per KM towed. They don't get paid for the $$$ they spend in gas to get to a scene, or to go from the depot out to a scene. Basically if a car isn't hooked up, CAA doesn't pay a dime. That's brutal.

With that knowledge in mind, I may tip the nice CAA drivers in future. (Which is most of them)... they are always courteous and prompt.

Mind you, I always get that 'look' when they see I have a modified car. "Oh god not another one"... it seems a lot of guys are hard on tow truck drivers to treat their precious $300 hopped up civic like a $250,000 lambo, and accuse them of all kinds of damage that was already there. They always seem appreciative when I just let them do their job but keep a close eye to make sure i'm happy with how it's done.

So, to summarize... I am yet to tip but by now knowing the pay structure for (at least) CAA workers... I just may. Bartenders can lick my nuts they don't deserve a nickel. lol

-Chris-
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punnzzells View Post
you guys are FALKED!

I wouldn't tip a tow truck driver.... FALK THAT.... no one tips me for doing my JOB....

and, I don't tip my barber either...
My thoughts exactly.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #18
davericher20
black and blue

I drop them $10, 5 if it's all I have, I've done alot of tows in the past couple years and they've been long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I just got towed last week from an accident the wife was in - I didn't tip the guy, they get enough from my insurance company as well as the body shop...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
What about if you are like 50 km away from Canadian border and 100 from home. So 150 all around. Would CAA come and town me from the American side?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I don't tip the stockboy @ walmart for assisting me, or the tim hortons lady for making my coffee... same deal for tow truck drivers, they already charge an obscene amount for a tow, they don't need any extra.

CAA pays them their full rate, why should I give extra? Unless it was exceptional service I would never tip a tow truck driver. Ditto for cabbies
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
pawcio
6th Gear Member

my only encounter with a tow truck driver was when he ran a red light at over 100km/h and totaled my vw gti. i didn't tip him.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
my only encounter with a tow truck driver was when he ran a red light at over 100km/h and totaled my vw gti. i didn't tip him.
Maybe he was running lights on purpose to cause accidents so he could give people tows...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #24
Junaid
4th Gear Member

i tip them 5-10 bucks mostly but still they are nice guys some of them

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: