Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Fern3
formerly e36.M52B25

OBC Fuel Consumption Accuracy

On the highway today driving like a 60 year old I hit an avg consumption of 5.7 l/100km. kept that figure for the whole trip down to oshawa from mississauga (hit 5.6 at random times as well) I was just wondering does the obc calculate that number based on real time distance values vs. calculated amount of fuel remaining in the tank or is this all from a preloaded chart in which the obc just throws out a number based on throttle position/engine load?

| M54B30/6MT Swap | KW V2 Coilovers |3.46 Diff |
|Genuine 19x8.5/9.5 Style 172M Wheels|
Fern3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
InfiniteDice
12 Years with the E30

It knows how much fuel is passing through the injectors (flow of injector, duration, rpm, etc.) If you mess with stuff and some part of the injection system is not stock, your reading could be off. In that case record and keep track of distance driven manually, then do the math.

If it knows how much gas you're using (plotted over time) it can then make an assumption about how far you can drive based on how much fuel is left in the tank.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
SickFinga

InfiniteDice, is right. It appears since you swapped your engine from m52b25 to m52b28 your injectors are different now. If I remember correctly 323i uses M50 injectors. So you went from 17.5lbs/h injectors to 21.5lbs/h.
In the OBC there is a menu that allows you to change the formula by which the fuel consumption is calculated.
Since your injectors are now 23% larger, adjust the formula number by 23%. That's what I would do.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
InfiniteDice, is right. It appears since you swapped your engine from m52b25 to m52b28 your injectors are different now. If I remember correctly 323i uses M50 injectors. So you went from 17.5lbs/h injectors to 21.5lbs/h.
In the OBC there is a menu that allows you to change the formula by which the fuel consumption is calculated.
Since your injectors are now 23% larger, adjust the formula number by 23%. That's what I would do.
He's exactly right.

You need to change the values for it to be accurate.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Fern3
formerly e36.M52B25

Thanks for all the helpful info guys! I will manually calculate my consumption for this tank and adjust the correction factor from there. Correction factor is obc mpg reading/actual mpg. Correct?

| M54B30/6MT Swap | KW V2 Coilovers |3.46 Diff |
|Genuine 19x8.5/9.5 Style 172M Wheels|

Last edited by Fern3; 12-11-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Fern3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern3 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful info guys! I will manually calculate my consumption for this tank and adjust the correction factor from there. Correction factor is obc mpg reading/actual mpg. Correct?
if you mean the correction factor to calculate your actual mpg after you look at the obc readout then: correction factor= actual mpg/obc mpg....in this way once you have a correction factor: Actual mpg = obc mpg x correction factor

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

ive actually found all my systems to be pretty accurate, overall im incredibly impressed actually. both the absolute gas gauge, the obc volume , even the fuel consumption per hour have helped aleviate some stressful situations (like having a friend return my car to me at the cottage with next to no gas, and no station near by)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: