Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
xlash
Still learning....

Moving to Owen Sound

After I am done school next year I am planning on moving to Owen Sound. I'll have to quit my job (which I absolutely loathe) however it's a source of steady and stable income until I leave. For those that don't know where it is look it up on google maps. It's a mid-sized town directly 2 hrs north of Mississauga.

Has anybody lived in a small town before? Is it difficult to network and find jobs? I don't know anybody who has lived there for a lengthy duration.

Comments/feedback appreciated.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

why you going to move to the sticks for???
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
xlash
Still learning....

Wimmenz. I know I know...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Castel
4th Gear Member

that's where people go to die.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
xlash
Still learning....

LOL. it's not infested with old ppl.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

Oh my ****ing god.

good luck with that shit. if you dont commit suicide in like a year, i consider you lucky man. those small beat down towns, have barely any work for anyone, most people are on welfare, its some really depresssing shit.

hope the pussy is worth that.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
VSanj
6th Gear Member

if ur white u will be fine! if not, reconsider......lol
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
xlash
Still learning....

I am planning to marry this girl. She has a stable job that pays well. She also doesn't really care if it takes me time to get a job.

Sirex - I don't think what you said applies completely to Owen Sound. It has its share of welfare ridden people but I see places like Zehr (Loblaws), Cineplex - basically high priced places doing good. People drive in rusty American cars as well as newer and more expensive Subarus and Civic Si's. I think I'll take a crack it. Won't know until I try it out.

VSanj - there are plenty of coloured people there, especially brown.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

My team lead lives close to Owen Sound, in Port Elgin. A VP in my company lives in Sudbury. They both rent rooms from another coworker here and stay here for the week. That's the only drawback to living up there. If you want a good job, esp in IT, you'll have to either commute to Toronto or have a place here for the week.

But man, that area is amazing. Sauble Beach is probably the best in the province. Very shallow grade, nice sand, never crowded. The driving around there is great too. It's super quiet, safe and clean. It'd be a great place to retire, and I don't mean that as saying it's boring - far from it - only that it's not a great place for the base of operations of a professional.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
sands
3rd Gear Member

Is this the same girl that cheated on you with her neighbor?

I'd say go online and google the shit out of the town, best way to find out more, that and job sites, look for things in that part of town before you move there. It will give you a nice idea of things.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
xlash
Still learning....

I am planning to marry this girl. She has a stable job that pays well. She also doesn't really care if it takes me time to get a job.

Sirex - I don't think what you said applies completely to Owen Sound. It has its share of welfare ridden people but I see places like Zehr (Loblaws), Cineplex - basically high priced places doing good. People drive in rusty American cars as well as newer and more expensive Subarus and Civic Si's. I think I'll take a crack it. Won't know until I try it out.

VSanj - there are plenty of coloured people there, especially brown.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post

Is this the same girl that cheated on you with her neighbor?

I'd say go online and google the shit out of the town, best way to find out more, that and job sites, look for things in that part of town before you move there. It will give you a nice idea of things.
She didn't cheat - the decision might have been easier if she had. So I decided to give it one last kick in the can since my best friend said I shouldn't give up just like that. Besides my life was a complete mess without her. I didn't have a whole lot of hope either but when I got to her place we started talking and worked things out. (This explains why I haven't shown up on Fridays). I can't say that I haven't thought about other girls the same way or worse over the course of our relationship.

So he does live in the neighbourhood but they work together and he's actually going out with another woman at work. My gf had a crush on him and was planning to act on it if things didn't work out between us. Unfortunately she still has a crush but is trying to deal with it. I was initially trying to get over her (in all the wrong wasy possible) but over the past few weeks we've been doing great so now I am having 2nd thoughts. At least she's smart enough to realize that losing what we have isn't worth a possible one night stand with a much older, uglier, bald guy.

Anyway I digress. I have googled, linkedIn'd and am doing as much research as I possibly can. Jobs are limited as it is but networking is key. I'd rather start up my own small business and see where it takes off. This weekend I'll be meeting with a guy who wants to start up a business and has the operations side pat but has no clue how to start, maintain and grow a business.

Last edited by xlash; 07-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.
xlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
sirex
King Sirex

well the plus side is that its cheap to live up there, and cheap insurance! and nice in the summer.

dont ruin your life for a girl is all i got to say.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
xlash
Still learning....

I don't exactly have a whole lot going on for me over here. I hate where Toronto's headed and the congestion and pollution is getting to me. And I won't have much going on for me until I finish grad school next year. Starting up a business in the GTA is wrought with difficulties. You get taxed to oblivion. Whereas it's easier up there where there's less competition and gov't subsidies to grow the economy.

Worse comes to worse I'll lose out on 2-3 years of my life. The way I see it I'd rather go through that than spend the rest of my life wondering what could have been. She's also open to moving to Guelph or somewhere close to the GTA if I can't get anything going.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
sands
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
I don't exactly have a whole lot going on for me over here. I hate where Toronto's headed and the congestion and pollution is getting to me. And I won't have much going on for me until I finish grad school next year. Starting up a business in the GTA is wrought with difficulties. You get taxed to oblivion. Whereas it's easier up there where there's less competition and gov't subsidies to grow the economy.

Worse comes to worse I'll lose out on 2-3 years of my life. The way I see it I'd rather go through that than spend the rest of my life wondering what could have been. She's also open to moving to Guelph or somewhere close to the GTA if I can't get anything going.
I was actually going to recommend Guelph, but thought you already had your mind set on Owen Sound. There is also Kitchener and Waterloo that are nice and quiet, and there's jobs out there too. My sister and her husband lived in Kitchener for quite a while and both had great jobs.
I heard Barrie is nice too, I wouldn't know though, never been.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: