Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Excessive Oil Consumption! How much does the real fix cost?

Good day,

So since i bought my car, i noticed that there has been excessive oil consumption! My first guess was the oil I was useing. I currently use Mobil 1 0W40! I notice that before the amber oil light would appear after turning off my engine, but lately it skips that part and the amber oil light appears while driving. So i checked the oil and it was below the mark! I thought i might get lucky and the sensor might be shot, but that's not the case.

So i went to part source and bought a litre of oil and put the whole thing in.... (This was about a month ago) I didn't drive the car all that much, possibly 500k and yesterday the amber oil light came on again once driving! So i went to part source again and bought a litre and put the whole thing in... drove a bit and checked my oil on a perfectly flat surface. It was a little below the top mark. So i'll see exactly how long this lasts me, with very moderate driving habits!! I'm not abusing the car here!

So there is a lot of talk about these m54 engines burning oil, dealers and other ppl may say its normal, when really it isn't! I have no signs of oil leaking, or smell. But when i do get up high in RPM's i do have a small cloud of somewhat dirty looking smoke, def not black smoke, but there is some shit coming out of that pipe. People mentioned about changing piston ring seals and CCV's and better yet the main culprit in my opinion is the Valve Stem Seals! But i'm not completely sure...

I found this thread to be the most helpful!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=404447&page=6

I need to get to the bottom of this and i'm trying to get on that path currently! I know There are some heavily involved bmw mec's here, and very mecanically prone ppl that might have some input or even have dealt with a case like this before... Anything helps!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by topaz330ci; 07-17-2009 at 10:18 AM.
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Oil separator valve (otherwise known as the crankcase ventilation valve) is probably clogged and pushing the oil into the intake?

I currently have 145k on my car.. Bmw says 1 litre every 750k or 1000k is acceptable... But i don't think this is right!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330ci View Post
Oil separator valve (otherwise known as the crankcase ventilation valve) is probably clogged and pushing the oil into the intake?

I currently have 145k on my car.. Bmw says 1 litre every 750k or 1000k is acceptable... But i don't think this is right!
sorry to say, but according to european car oil comsumption, 1L per 1000km is normal, I know it doesn't sound right, but to them it's normal, if your engine blows because of lack of oil warranty won't cover it, because in your owners manual it says that the owner of the vehicle must check oil level every 2 months(I think)

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

K well i put 1L less then 1000km so therefore it's not normal! I'm def using more oil then normal!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

The cvv's were a problem on the e46 models as I recall when working for them. Many come backs and covered under warranty. When the M5 came out in 2000 people were livid because the car was eating a couple litre's easy between changes. BMW's are known especially the newer models to eat oil. I have no idea how and why but this is what has been the experience of people. You may need to ad a couple litres between changes for various reasons. Weather, air quality cond. driving conditions, drivers habits.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

my e46 also sucked 1L/1000km. and that was after changing the CCV. What I don't understand is when the engine was new it didn't lose a drop of oil but as the mileage started to go up so did the oil consumption. clearly a seal somewhere is wearing out.

if it was 1L/1000km when the car is new I'd say fine that's normal but when it wasn't like this from day one clearly a seal somewhere has worn down and needs replacing.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

^ it's true, I also think a seal is to blame, but I don't know where to go about with this problem! Also, if it eats this much oil now, how bad could it actually get..?

I heard of some people fixing this problem, but with a thousand dollar + fix... I'd be willing to fix this problem if i knew exactly what it is.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

i sold the car...way more expensive fix.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
i sold the car...way more expensive fix.
A guy might check my car out this weekend also!

I hope he takes it off my hands! So i can buy something sick!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

My E46 eats a little bit of oil... a little bit of coolant... its crazy.

My sister's E90 on the other hand.... seems to ALWAYS eat oil, and we have to fill it up every two months which is also crazy. No car should be eating oil, and trust me there are no leaks at all but yet it eats the oil... I guess BMW vehicles love oil as a 3 course meal

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
Porter86
shiftin gears

Send a message via MSN to Porter86
i have the exact same problem, or thought as well. 1st time light came on just after the may 3rd cruise i also had a smell as well. turned out had a crushed washer on the drain plug. but still have same prob. it could also have a lot to do with the fact that's everything aluminum as well right? heats up quicker burns more, no?

i am all ears though to hear how to stop this pain in the ass,lol. its annoying, but it is about every 1L/1000kms.
Porter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
So let me get this sraight. After you do an oil change, than after 1000km you add 1l and wait until an other 1000km to add in 1L as well?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
SEXSPHERE
Newb Modificator

I'm experiencing the same problem now. Got my oil changed at rmp 4000 kms ago. The oil light went off last night. Can I top it off with any oil or it has to be the specific one that rmp previously used?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
juzer
7000 RPM

its normal to burn oil but 1l per 1000km is ridiculous, usuall reasons for oil burns are piston rings, valve seals or guides, pcv valve or leaks. if car smoking on high rpm piston rings are worn, if not, start with pcv valve replacement. also replacing synthetic with regular thick oil may help.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXSPHERE View Post
Can I top it off with any oil or it has to be the specific one that rmp previously used?
As long as it's the proper grade synthetic you can top it up. Ideally it should be the same weight as well, and even more ideally it should be the same oil that RMP used.

I've experienced this oil consumption as well. The 530 needs a quart every few thousand kms.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: