Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Spartiatis
4x4 Experts Need Help

So my dad and I are buying a suv. Its main purpose will be for when we go hunting. We have narrowed it down to 1997-2001 Toyota 4Runner and 2001-2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited. Which one is the better OFFROAD suv and why.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 982.jpg (23.7 KB, 118 views)
Spartiatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member

montero
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pic-36122.jpeg (87.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
magnus
6th Gear Member

Get the Toyota if you are going off road! Montero has a lesser chassis!
Its good but not as bulletproof as the toyota!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
rendered
6th Gear Member

Buy an audi 2.7TT allroad not 4x4 but it's also the better daily driver. Why not kill a couple birds with 1 stone. Chip and a few mods and you have well over 300HP.

I've been taking the ones I have offroad And they've been amazing in every situation except the extreme stuff a hummer H1 or jacked jeep would only go.

Although I'm not sure where you take it off road, but you're welcome to come on our next hunting trip to see how the audi allroad does! Adjustable suspension too so you can have it jacked as well.

But between your two choices, I would choose the Toyota.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Sorry to disagree, but the Audi is a softroader. You did say so yourself, best for on road, towing, gravel, but not for hunting trails or climbing. Also, after years of use off road, the audi will not be as solid as the Toyota. Mitsu, great truck, but does not hold up as well as the toyota. I've done my fair share of off roading, but it was always in Jeeps. Wagoneers, and Cherokees. Those are my choice for off roading, but then again not as nice on road as the Toyota. The parts on the Jeep that don't last are the Chrysler bits, like the electronic gizmos. Mechanically they are better than the Toyota, but, that's the trade off. Also resale, Jeeps used are really cheap to buy, but then again, when you're ready to sell, you get hurt. Just my two cents............okay that was more like 5 cents.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

If you want 99% Reliability and 80% Offroad ability, get the Toyota. (front IFS)
If you want 80% reliability and 60% Offroad ability, get that Montero.(IFS+IRS)
If you want 70% reliability and 99%% Offroad ability, get a Land Rover D2. (SA front and back)
If you want 70% reliability and 99.7% Offroad ability, get a ~2000 Range Rover. (SA front and back)

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Terry, I think for what they want to do a 'Yota is the way to go. As good as LR's are offroad, it's nice to not have to worry about your rig while out hunting.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
4 runner

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Go with the 4Runner.

You want an SUV with 4Hi and 4Low settings, plus the AWD mode.
The Audi won't cut it, as it's AWD only. You can't beat a vehicle locked in 4HI (all 4 tires delivering power).

In the Winter time, you'll always get those Audi/Subaru drivers trying to show off their AWD with snow tire vehicles.
My SUV with 4Hi and snow tires is no match for those cars.

Put snows on that vehicle, and you've got a monster!

(Forget the LR & RR. It's more like 60% reliability and 99% Offroad ability == $$$$$ )
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Go with the 4Runner.

You want an SUV with 4Hi and 4Low settings, plus the AWD mode.
The Audi won't cut it, as it's AWD only. You can't beat a vehicle locked in 4HI (all 4 tires delivering power).

In the Winter time, you'll always get those Audi/Subaru drivers trying to show off their AWD with snow tire vehicles.
My SUV with 4Hi and snow tires is no match for those cars.

Put snows on that vehicle, and you've got a monster!

(Forget the LR & RR. It's more like 60% reliability and 99% Offroad ability == $$$$$ )

none of those vehicles deliver power at all 4 wheels. At best it would be 3, but most likely it will be 2, one on the front and one in the rear.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member

Terry, which trucks would deliver power to all 4 wheels? so that does that mean I need a truck with limited slip front and back?? Is that what its called?? Do the mitsubishi pajeros have that??
Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
none of those vehicles deliver power at all 4 wheels. At best it would be 3, but most likely it will be 2, one on the front and one in the rear.
Not true. In most conditions, with good tires (snow), all 4 tires dig and put power down.
This is why you get lateral stability and it prevents side-ways slipping at road/highway speeds.

You are correct if you go off-roading in deep deep mud.

In deep snow on roads etc, you can put power down at all four corners.
I do it all the time, and have viewed my vehicle from the outside.

Back to 4HI modes over AWD only systems......This is why a selectable 4x4 system ( 4L, 4HI, AWD, 2HI) is better than those AWD systems.
Most of those full time AWD systems wait until slippage occurs before doing something.

4HI mode gives you lateral stability, which prevents sideways slippage and better control by trying to drive all 4 tires all the time.

Go for the 4Runner!
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Not true. In most conditions, with good tires (snow), all 4 tires dig and put power down.
This is why you get lateral stability and it prevents side-ways slipping at road/highway speeds.

You are correct if you go off-roading in deep deep mud.

In deep snow on roads etc, you can put power down at all four corners.
I do it all the time, and have viewed my vehicle from the outside.

Back to 4HI modes over AWD only systems......This is why a selectable 4x4 system ( 4L, 4HI, AWD, 2HI) is better than those AWD systems.
Most of those full time AWD systems wait until slippage occurs before doing something.

4HI mode gives you lateral stability, which prevents sideways slippage and better control by trying to drive all 4 tires all the time.

Go for the 4Runner!
Sorry to disagree, but Not true!!! The ONLY way to get all 4 wheels to grip at once is with front and rear LSD! Very few suv's offer it today and only the Land Rovers come with it as standard. Montero is optional in response to a post earlier. Grand Cherokees offer it as an order only option hence less than 1% of them actually have it. Only the serious off roaders even think to ask for it. Now, I don't know how it is possible if you are viewing your vehicle from the outside you would "see all 4 wheels spinning at once" Xray vision??? two on one side maybe. Then two on the other side maybe? Now, even without LSD it is possible to get slippage from both wheels equally, but very rare, only when all 4 see completely equal grip........they may all turn, but after a part revolution computers will quickly reroute the power to the ones (front/back) with the most grip, and that is constantly changing.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would get 4runner over Audi 2.7TT, X5 and ML. We have a co worker that has 4runner. It is 2004 and he bought it with 100k. The car never broke down. I am sure you would spend big $$ on germans cars. I was looking at older 4runners, looks like they hold up value quite nice. I would go with Toyota. If your dad could get 2003+ that would be awsome IMO.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Sorry to disagree, but Not true!!! The ONLY way to get all 4 wheels to grip at once is with front and rear LSD! Very few suv's offer it today and only the Land Rovers come with it as standard. Montero is optional in response to a post earlier. Grand Cherokees offer it as an order only option hence less than 1% of them actually have it. Only the serious off roaders even think to ask for it. Now, I don't know how it is possible if you are viewing your vehicle from the outside you would "see all 4 wheels spinning at once" Xray vision??? two on one side maybe. Then two on the other side maybe? Now, even without LSD it is possible to get slippage from both wheels equally, but very rare, only when all 4 see completely equal grip........they may all turn, but after a part revolution computers will quickly reroute the power to the ones (front/back) with the most grip, and that is constantly changing.
You pretty much summed it up well.
A lot of SUVs use offroad oriented traction control to mimic LSD and lockers. Land rover came out with the first offroad traction control on their 1993 range rover and it works to transfer power to the wheels that are not spinning.

Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: