Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
theboss
3rd Gear Member

Z3 for the wife ??

looking at early Z3 for the wife....i dont want to spend to much and keep coming across 4cyl. autos.......i would obviously rather go atleast 5spd and a 6cyl..............are the 4cyl. autos totally boring??
theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
theboss
3rd Gear Member

no one has an opinion on a 4cyl auto ...whether its boring to drive (slow & gutless)...there arent any local to me to drive and i dont want to waste my time driving 2 hours to go see it and be totally disappointed.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
europrince
6th Gear Member

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...002-bmw-z3.htm

Consumer Guide® Road-Test Evaluation
Even though horsepower and torque are greater in a 4-cylinder Z3 than in Mazda's Miata, the BMW roadster does not feel any swifter--partly because it carries more pounds. Automatic is slower yet. Because the Z3's 4-cylinder engine does not develop much power below 3500 rpm, it cannot get an eager jump off the line when you push the gas pedal hard. Past 3500 rpm, acceleration becomes brisk. Performance is better with the 2.8-liter 6-cylinder engine. It doesn't set any records either, however. The 6-cylinder's extra torque is most beneficial because it reduces the amount of shifting when driving in town. A test manual-transmission 2.5i did 0-60 mph in a brisk 7.0 sec and had ample midrange passing punch. The 3.0i/manual hatchback felt more muscular--BMW lists 0-60 at 5.9 sec--but didn't present significantly more usable acceleration on the street than the 2.5i. M-Series roadsters and hatchbacks have exhilarating performance--almost reminiscent of a Corvette. Refinement is where BMW has the edge over the Miata. BMW's 4-cylinder engine is far smoother and quieter than Mazda's. It gets noisy only when working hard. The 6-cylinder engine is quieter yet. Wind noise is intrusive at highway speeds, making it hard for the two occupants to converse in normal tones. Because these are sports cars, noises from the engine, road, and wind increase markedly with speed. Firm suspensions allow little lean in turns, and the Z3 corners as if it's on rails. For a car with such high cornering limits, the ride is supple--more comfortable than the Miata's. Still, it gets jiggly on anything other than glass-smooth surfaces. All told, the Z3 lags behind Mercedes' SLK in smothering bumps. Braking is straight and short. A "panic" stop from 60 mph took about 105 feet. Space is adequate for medium-size adults, but large folks might feel cramped. Trunk space is meager by anything other than sports-car standards. The manual folding top is fairly easy to raise and lower, but the plastic back window is subject to easy wrinkling and scratches, especially if not cared for properly. Like most convertibles, the top's rear quarters are wide enough to restrict visibility over the driver's shoulders. Inside, you'll find a no-frills, Teutonic design--not inappropriate for a sports car. Standard "leatherette" upholstery on the 1.9, however, with its odd pebble-grain pattern, looks rather cheap for a car of this caliber.

Value for the Money
Eye-catching appearance and BMW's reputation for handling prowess make the Z3 tempting. Still, based on performance or equipment, it's difficult to justify paying so much more for a Z3 than a Mazda Miata. M-Series models, on the other hand, perform as promised and just might be worth the extra dollars.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
theboss
3rd Gear Member

thanks europrince
Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
europrince
6th Gear Member

no prob
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
no one has an opinion on a 4cyl auto ...whether its boring to drive (slow & gutless)...there arent any local to me to drive and i dont want to waste my time driving 2 hours to go see it and be totally disappointed.
probably there are opinions and as you know most are driving 6 cyl , like your e46, so dont expect the 1.9 4 cyl z3 to be as preppy.

what does your wife think of the z3 4 cyl? does she goes for the look or power? that would be a better indication on what you should buy.

i have the 6 cyl 3.0 I .. and it' pretty good not good on gas tho.

I would look at the s2000 for 4 cyl even the miata, i think they drives better too,, Z3 and z4 tramlines (I think thats the word) on rough road...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
europrince
6th Gear Member

The S2000 is one peppy car!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
The S2000 is one peppy car!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
theboss
3rd Gear Member

i think if i came across a Z3 4cyl with 5spd that would be fine......Z4 is a bit more than i want to spend.........and i was actually thinking about S2000 last night. Miata.....NO WAY!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
i think if i came across a Z3 4cyl with 5spd that would be fine......Z4 is a bit more than i want to spend.........and i was actually thinking about S2000 last night. Miata.....NO WAY!
check autotrader there is a 1996 4 cyl ,5 speed for less than $16 thou..
there is also one for way too cheap( skip that its a scam)
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
jameswbl
3rd Gear Member

z3 4 cylinder is crap...get at least a 2.8 or an early M
S2000 is very gutless if you dont rev the hell out of it...I have driven both...I didnt like the S2000 coz it didnt feel special (felt like I was driving a civic) when you are stuck in traffic
jameswbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #12
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
check autotrader there is a 1996 4 cyl ,5 speed for less than $16 thou..
there is also one for way too cheap( skip that its a scam)
Why would you spend that much on a 13 year old z3 when the z4 can be had for $5K more and 6 years old. Not to mention better looking...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
theboss
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Why would you spend that much on a 13 year old z3 when the z4 can be had for $5K more and 6 years old. Not to mention better looking...
i agree.......

there are lots of z3 to be had with 120km in the 10k range...which is what i am looking at............if i had another 5-7k to spend i would look at z4
Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Finance it baby, Finance!
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
theboss
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Finance it baby, Finance!
got the cash for a Z3........i hate having more bills!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: