Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I completely agree about the 4runner. I almost forgot, one of the max members "Gleb" has one and has had it for a while. He uses it as a mule and it just keeps on trucking. Ask him about it.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Sorry to disagree, but Not true!!! The ONLY way to get all 4 wheels to grip at once is with front and rear LSD! Very few suv's offer it today and only the Land Rovers come with it as standard. Montero is optional in response to a post earlier. Grand Cherokees offer it as an order only option hence less than 1% of them actually have it. Only the serious off roaders even think to ask for it. Now, I don't know how it is possible if you are viewing your vehicle from the outside you would "see all 4 wheels spinning at once" Xray vision??? two on one side maybe. Then two on the other side maybe? Now, even without LSD it is possible to get slippage from both wheels equally, but very rare, only when all 4 see completely equal grip........they may all turn, but after a part revolution computers will quickly reroute the power to the ones (front/back) with the most grip, and that is constantly changing.
Pretty simple... bend down.. view the truck on a angle.
Park the truck on fresh gravel, and accelerate (noted by marks left behind), you will see with good tires that power went down to all 4 tires (Traction Control off).
I’m not talking about “Stuck” conditions, but slippery conditions, with the vehicle moving forward.

Now, don't confuse off-road conditions with slippery on road conditions. Deep mud, and you'll get a lot of 1, 2, 3 tires spinning as Terry said.

With 4Hi, power does go down to all 4 tires, unless your tires are garbage or you are in stuck situations.

My SUV was a different vehicle with all season tires. With 4 aggressive snows, it’s completely different. There is a great deal of lateral stability and acceleration, something even the Audi AWD’s can’t match. I’ve tested it with my neighbors.

Since the 4Runner has 4HI, 4LO selections, I would definitely get one!
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartiatis View Post
Terry, which trucks would deliver power to all 4 wheels? so that does that mean I need a truck with limited slip front and back?? Is that what its called?? Do the mitsubishi pajeros have that??
Very few trucks cone with rear lockers and fewr come with frnt. A lot of companies utilize specifically tuned traction control to reduce slipage. Any of the trucks mentioned have a locking center differential which splits the power delivery equally between front and reAr axle. That's half the battle. You can have 3 lockers, but if your trucks suspension does not have the correct droop, flex, etc, you ain't going to benefit from them. Anyway t hat is a whole different topic of discussion very few people are well versed in.
Any of the trucks mentioned will do the job( I can't imagine hunting trails are that bad).
IFS and IRS trucks Are weaker and cannot take as much abuse and neglect which would be a concern of mine.

Some toyotas
cme with rear e-lockers which are really good. Lqndrovers mentioned come with 4 wheel traction control that works about 3/4 as effectively but combined with the fact it's on 4 wheels and suspension set up, it makes it a heck of a truck. Jeep liberty are cheap and can be had with skid plates and rear LSD. I cannot speak for the new mitsubishis as I'm not very knowledgeable.
Don't bother with pos like envoys and such. They are garbage.
There are 3 names in the world of offroading. in no particular order.
G class
land rover
Toyota.
Then u have jeep Mitsubishi suzuki etc.

It's all in how much u want to spend and what you expect.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

We are talking about hunting trails; not gravel roads. Changes the game completely.
Unless u have 3 lockers( front center rear) you are not putti g equal power down to all 4 wheels at any given time, regardless what ur Mickey mouse test showed you.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Finn
2nd Gear Member

Why spend all the cash on a new SUV that will rarely be used? You're better off buying a used Series I (95-98) Land Rover Discovery (centre locking diff standard).

In it's stock form it's hard to beat but with a LSD front and a Detroit in the back the thing would put a mountain goat to shame. Save all the money for upgrades/mods!
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
Red_Rocket
2nd Gear Member

Toyota over the mitsu. Jeep over the toyota off road but, on road the toyota over the jeep. I go off roading in my parents datoka with not locked diffs front or rear and i have yet to be really stuck. I have climbed some serious hills and gone through some fairly deep mud and unless you are offroad all the time in horrible conditions you dont need either locker or lsd.
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #22
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
Why spend all the cash on a new SUV that will rarely be used? You're better off buying a used Series I (95-98) Land Rover Discovery (centre locking diff standard).

In it's stock form it's hard to beat but with a LSD front and a Detroit in the back the thing would put a mountain goat to shame. Save all the money for upgrades/mods!
They are talking about used SUV's here...........

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rocket View Post
Toyota over the mitsu. Jeep over the toyota off road but, on road the toyota over the jeep. I go off roading in my parents datoka with not locked diffs front or rear and i have yet to be really stuck. I have climbed some serious hills and gone through some fairly deep mud and unless you are offroad all the time in horrible conditions you dont need either locker or lsd.
You must be doing trails I can do in My subaru. LMAO

Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #24
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Terry, most people think offroading = washboard gravel.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: