Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #91
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Having driven a number of modified cars over the years (lowered, SRT-4 swapped ACR neon with only a cat after the turbo IE: loud, and on R-compounds), a "Nitro Yellow Green" '95 coupe, a "loud" e30 and then a low M3 (I bought it with lowering springs, and it's now at stock height), I've learned that if you drive like an adult and politely, you won't get hassled. I was pulled over for a check once in the turbo neon, and politely described the standalone engine management once (on my way home from TMP) when he asked about the laptop. No problems.

Drive in a way that would embarrass your mother however, and act cocky with police officers when pulled over? My aforementioned acquaintance gets nailed for really "stupid" tickets as a result of both of those.

The OP drives bait, at his own risk. Slammed cars look great, but are not safe on rough roads unless done within the limits of suspension geometry and sufficient jounce travel/spring stiffness and damping rates. Very few people who actually understand these concepts "slam" a car unless they spend money on the necessary equipment to do so.
If you have to drive erratically to let your car survive the streets of Ontario, you're not driving safely: ergo, the car is unsafely lowered.

Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #92
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Superchargers are legal mods and it's not necessary to drive a stock vehicle. See my previous post RE: driving modified cars and talking with and respecting police officers.

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #93
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njansenv View Post
Superchargers are legal mods and it's not necessary to drive a stock vehicle. See my previous post RE: driving modified cars and talking with and respecting police officers.
I have to disagree with you on this one. If it's not stock they can give you a ticket. If you get into an accident and you did not tell your insurance company that your vehicle has been modefied, they will not cover your claim. No matter what the bottom line it's a money grabbing scheme by the insurance company and Police department.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #94
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
this happened in downtown toronto?? I stay clear of york region because of that crap, now we have to deal with it in toronto?
um, york region is not that bad, i live there, i roam around town every night with couple of my buddies, the most i had was a cops started following me 2min away from my street, prolly looked up my plates and saw i was almost home and just left me...nothing bad. york region much better then toronto IMO.
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #95
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. If it's not stock they can give you a ticket. If you get into an accident and you did not tell your insurance company that your vehicle has been modefied, they will not cover your claim. No matter what the bottom line it's a money grabbing scheme by the insurance company and Police department.
Ticket for what? It's a serious question, and I've NEVER had grief for having a (legally!) modified car. My cars pass emissions, and I keep the cat. I don't put stupid multicoloured lights on my car (which are often a clear violation of the HTA). If the emissions controls are in place, forced induction is legal and you won't get a ticket (in my experience: I've heard horror stories but they all involved the accused getting loud and rude and then pissing of the officer which earns them a bogus ticket.)

Driving like an ass in a modified car could get you a (somewhat bogus) ticket, absolutely, but I regard that as the fault of the asshat driver.

I have told the insurance company about mods and autoxing the vehicle, but this is a different subject than getting a ticket for having a (legally!) modified car.

Last edited by njansenv; 07-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #96
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

From Self Experience:

Last year, my first year really getting to enjoy my car, I was wheeling up and down the streets, donoughts on a regular always attracting attention to myself. I racked up a beautiful 13 pull overs in one summer but thankfully 2 tickets.

This summer i've just been cruising in my car just enjoying it, now that I've had the engine swap no reason really to wheel around I know I have that power if I really need it. And surprisingly i've only been pulled over once this year by an officer simply to comment on how nice the car was looking. P.S. I have exhaust system, HID's, lowered, rims, everything that usually gets you sucked, but the only difference between last year and this year is the end of reckless driving, not trying to lose my car.

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #97
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njansenv View Post
Ticket for what? .

I see this is getting us nowhere. However everything is based on the cop. If he has a bad day and he don't like the way you look at him, you are done. They hold all of the power in their hands. I know I have a friends that are in the Hamilton Police department, Niagara Region and the OPP.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #98
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Knowing a few officers, I can bring up 2 points.

1) it's their job to hand out tickets, they are given quota's on how much they have to give out, if they don't they lose their jobs.

2) Most of them don't pull you over for no reason, and if they do and your giving them a hard time they will push more tickets on you.

Its up to us to know if what we have done to our cars is legal, and if the officer is wrong we do have thr right to go to court about it.

Its like if your acting like an asshole in a bar, your gonna get bounced. People treat you with respect when you show them respect.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #99
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
I see this is getting us nowhere. However everything is based on the cop. If he has a bad day and he don't like the way you look at him, you are done. They hold all of the power in their hands. I know I have a friends that are in the Hamilton Police department, Niagara Region and the OPP.
I'm sorry, but it was simply such a oversimplification to say that "you can get a ticket if you're modified."

I'd say it's AT LEAST as much "based on the driver". Too many people say "it depends on the cop", when all to often the truth comes out when the driver had attitude.

In any case, others have worded some of my thoughts quite well in other posts, so I'll move along.
Nathan

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #100
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristo View Post
Its because you drive like a 16yr old.. Ive witnessed it first hand at bloor and dufferin. Your "euro plate" and blasting your system don't help your either..
Stop driving like a moron and cops will leave you alone.
Game, blouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd_mr2 View Post
Let me guess, stretched tires are also unsafe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
I also leave people hundreds of meters behind on turning ramps.
FTMFW. I hate people that put along at 50km/h on on ramps
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #101
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
And what warrants "driving like a 16 year old"?

A lot of people might say I drive like I'm drunk/crazy, but I'm really just avoiding all the potholes...lol. Oh, I also leave people hundreds of meters behind on turning ramps.
LOL, didn't you drive your Calyspo car into a tree while hungover? I think people are giving you hundreds of meeters to make sure it's only a single vehicle collision.

And to the OP: OWNED!

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #102
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe View Post
lol, didn't you drive your calyspo car into a tree while hungover? I think people are giving you hundreds of meeters to make sure it's only a single vehicle collision.

And to the op: Owned!
rofl
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #103
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

What a spelling mistake! Epic fail.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #104
344i
5th Gear Member