Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #16
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis

maximum speed you can legally do on a canadian highway is 110 or 120.

you hear them saying keep racing on the track, now with this limiter, going to the track is pointless. enjoy your freedom cause canada is becoming a dictatorship.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

u guys seem so worred....
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #18
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
What roads in the USA have NO speed limit (as in go 200kph and you won't get a ticket)?
Nevermind, there isn't one. I knew Montana used to have a rural speed limit of "reasonable and prudent" or something. But looks like that's not the case anymore.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
europrince
6th Gear Member

The bill was most probably introduced by a private member. Private members' bills rarely pass. Parliament broke a couple weeks ago for the summer, so all outstanding bills are dead.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I don't see why any car licensed for the road in this country should be able to go faster than 100, not 110. The maximum speed legally allowed on any of Canada's roads is 100.

I'd say this is just posturing. They know it'll never pass but some politician wants to either get his name in the papers or get his message out.
Ive personally been on roads out east (new Brunswick/ other maritime) where the limit is 120km/h. Probably other places too. Even on 100km/h roads, you need higher speed for passing.

But yeah, hope ure right, and hopefully its just a feeler by the government that is never gonna go into effect.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

First thing I would bypass on my car if this bill came into effect and they made us ALL comply. I don't fork out $$$ for maintenance on the M5 so that I can only do 100km/h. **** that noise.
Those ****ing, money grabbing cocksuckers, need to increase the speed limits on our roads, not DECREASE them like they have been doing to some country roads in my parent's area. It's bullshit I tell you.

Anywhere in the states, their Interstate speed limits are about 15km's higher than ours.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
UGH, this shit pisses me off. There are far more important issues the government should focus on.
Now why would our responsible liberal government do that?
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #23
magnus
6th Gear Member

So what?
Japan has a limit of 100mph-160kmh and they seem to do fine.
I think the best think would be to use a similar system as the new GT-R and limit the speed to 160kph but when the GPS detects its on a racetrack to derestrict the car!
I dont think 100kph is a good limit cause if say you are on a country lane and need to overtake say 2 or 3 trucks you need to do it as fast as possible. That is the only reason you would need more than 100kph.
So 160kmh or 150kmh should be ok!
Besides i am sure that in due time people will be able to bypass the system(they do it in Japan) if you need to!!!!!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

There are no speed limits out "east" of 120kmh. It's 110kmh on the divided 4 lanes only. Everywhere else maxes out at 100kmh. Police let you run at 120kmh though. Stats said accidents went down when we upped the rates from 100 to 110 back in the 90's. Now that most of the highways are getting moose fenses down here I see no reason not to have it raised to at least 140. Not like there's bumper to bumper traffic on the highways here. And it's not like the majorty car on the road is an 85 Aries K. Modern cars are way safer and much more able to handle the speed. Hell my 5 series only hits comfortable cruising speed above 145. TCH should be an Autobahn.

Largest freakin country in the world should have a highway system to support it.

As for killing the legality of your speed free car it woudln't. All the law would do is force new car makers to electronically limit to 150kmh as I believe most do now at the 180kmh mark. Much like when seatbelts became mandatory. If you run a car that never came with them you still don't have to wear them. At least in NB anyway.

As for 150kmh being the limit and not a straight 110, you need a buffer for emergency situitations. Don't want to be on the outside lane, max out on your speed and see an oncoming car while some ass behind you blocked you in so you can't even get on the brakes and get back in. You still have to be able to mat the peddal get in front of who your passing otherwise your a danger to everyone else.

Oh and to prove a point about speed limits I followed two semi-trucks for 45 minutes a couple months ago. Both were company trucks (Diff companies) and likely both limited to the same speed I believe it's 110kmh. Well for 45 mins I was stuck behind these two trucks as they went back and forworth up and down hills. Guy on the outside would almost get the pass then they would hit a hill and he'd loos the power and fall back. Ass on the right wouldn't slow down to let him in. Everyone trying to save fuel and max on speed. 45mins of this crap. Happens all the time now that the limiters are on the big rigs. Just imagine same thing happend to your car. Highways would be a mess.

Stupid law.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
5thseries
biggerthen3

germany is looking a lot more attractive to me everyday.. **** this place =|...
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #26
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
UGH, this shit pisses me off. There are far more important issues the government should focus on.
That's what bugs me too. It's like we pay them so much money to run the country through our taxes, but they sit on their ass debating bullshit laws like this... instead of doing things that matter.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

FYI - Alberta has 110km/h on some sections of their highways. Could move out there to get the extra 10km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
The maximum speed legally allowed on any of Canada's roads is 100.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
FYI - Alberta has 110km/h on some sections of their highways. Could move out there to get the extra 10km/h.
True. My point is that a maximum is a maximum. What the **** is the point of legislating cars to go a maximum of 50 (or 40) kmh over the maximum... why not 3 or 300 over? I'd like to see the person who introduced this bill to see if he/she looks as constipated as I think.

With regards to our road quality, I think it's a miracle they're as good as they are. You guys think you pay a lot of tax to have a country this big have good roads? You should look into what it costs to maintain a stretch of highway. We have better roads than England. They have twice as many people paying taxes and 1/40th of our land area. Sure a lot of ours isn't paved but neither is theirs. Hell the transcanada highway is probably more road surface than all of UK put together. Germany isn't much bigger than the UK, it has almost 2.5x as many people as us and an order of magnitude higher taxes (let's see our whiners pay their 19% sales tax). You get what you pay for and there is no greener grass.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Magical24
2nd Gear Member

well if they limit us to 100 or 110 then everyone is going to be street racing cuz no will be able to pass on the highway, they might as well turn all the highways into a 1 lane road at that point
Magical24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
sirex
King Sirex

has anyone really been pulled over doing 120 km/h on a highway with a marked speed of 100km/h?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: